Oil for 2017 Pacifica

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chrysler says........"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

I guess Mobile 1 didn't meet the MS-6395 standard.

In my Chevrolet Equinox I always used 5w30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I still have some left and would like to use it in the Pacifica ????????

Any other oil suggestions for the Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar ?

Pennzoil is the factory fill and meets the spec. It's sold just about everywhere and often on sale. That's what I use in my 2016 Pentastar Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: fins

Mobil Super Synthetic 0w20 meets Chrysler MS-6395.

How do you like the Pacifica so far? What made you choose it over other minivans?

From the looks of it the 2017 has the PUG upgrade, and a change in the oil spec to 0w20. In 2016 the Pentastar called for 5W20 or 5W30, no mention in my OM of anything 0w-xx, even though we know it can be used in place of a 5w-xx. I wonder if they changed the OCI with the change to 0W-20?

FCA is in bed with SOPUS.

If it were mine, I would use up the QSUD. Buy some 0w-20 and just mix 1qt of your 5w-30 in with every change until gone. It would be a thin 30-grade and would mostly likely have the same add-pack.

It's a new car that's under warranty. Pennzoil products are high quality and easy to get in 0w20. There is no good reason to not use it.

Are there other products that would pass the Chrysler spec if tested? Sure. Will the service writer care about that if you ever run into engine issues while under warranty? No he will not. No MS-6395? Sorry, you're SOL.

Pennzoil-Quaker State- Mobil-Valvoline all good oils. If any of them were really better then the other they would advertise it and they dont

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
It's a new car that's under warranty. Pennzoil products are high quality and easy to get in 0w20. There is no good reason to not use it.

My thoughts as well.

Being under warranty.
You might want to use 0W20 for at least the duration of your warranty.

Last edited:
Just curious... does your pentastar have the new liquid cooled EGR that I read about last year. Also heard Chrysler was adding start - stop technology, which I'm not a fan of. Third thing I read was the oil sump had been reduced to 5 qts (down from 6.)

I did not know they were now recommending 0w20 oil. Wow.

Edit: to answer your question, I've used QSGB,QSUD, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, PYB, VWB, Trop Artic and Havoline in my pentas. Zero problems. I just use oil that carries the Chrysler spec and don't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: fins
Chrysler says........"We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade."

In my Chevrolet Equinox I always used 5w30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I still have some left and would like to use it in the Pacifica ????????

Any other oil suggestions for the Chrysler 3.6 Pentastar ?

How much QSUD do you have left? I would use it for the summer OCI. I'm using PPPP 5w-20 on my current fill for my 2015 Pentastar. I used PPPP 5w-30 for the first OCI. Had no issues in the winter months (used the block heater all winter for morning cold starts).

I doubt the weight of oil would cause problems with your new motor. I can't see any dealership doing a UOA if you had a motor issue (which would be a rare case in the first 1-2 years of ownership IMO).

Spend over $30k for a new van, yet you want to save a couple bucks and use leftover oil?

Go to Walmart and get the right stuff for it and keep the receipt.

Give the QSUD away

Only 0W-20? Does the manual have a chart with oil weight vs. temp/climate?

Honestly its just a few bucks, buy some 0W-20. M1 is on sale/rebate now at WM, ~11/gal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

Honestly its just a few bucks, buy some 0W-20. M1 is on sale/rebate now at WM, ~11/gal.

Mobil 1 0W20 doesn't meet the MS6395 spec to keep the warranty people happy.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

And?

They have to prove that oil was the cause of engine failure... never seen one documented case of that (oil causing damage, lack of it yes). People honestly worry to much about stuff and don't use any common sense. How many people keep receipts of all their oil changes? Stick with recommended weights and change interval and the engine will outlive your desire to keep the car 9 out of 10 times.

And?

They have to prove that oil was the cause of engine failure... never seen one documented case of that (oil causing damage, lack of it yes). People honestly worry to much about stuff and don't use any common sense. How many people keep receipts of all their oil changes? Stick with recommended weights and change interval and the engine will outlive your desire to keep the car 9 out of 10 times.

Common sense tells me if an approved oil is as easy to get as walking into a local Walmart or AAP, then I grab that. Odds are Pennzoil and Mobil Super will cost less than Mobil 1 too. Then in the extremely rare case there is a problem, having a receipt and a log [which I keep anyway] to show when the oil was changed and it was an approved oil gives them way less wiggle room. And I don't have to do anything out of the ordinary. Working at 5 different dealerships in the NY area taught me just how bad a service department can be if they want to be.

You said "stick with the recommended weights and change interval and the engine will outlive your desire to keep the car 9 out of 10 times." Spot on, just add to it "and use an approved oil meeting the mfg spec," and its golden.

And?

Common sense tells me if an approved oil is as easy to get as walking into a local Walmart or AAP, then I grab that. Odds are Pennzoil and Mobil Super will cost less than Mobil 1 too. Then in the extremely rare case there is a problem, having a receipt and a log [which I keep anyway] to show when the oil was changed and it was an approved oil gives them way less wiggle room. And I don't have to do anything out of the ordinary. Working at 5 different dealerships in the NY area taught me just how bad a service department can be if they want to be.

You said "stick with the recommended weights and change interval and the engine will outlive your desire to keep the car 9 out of 10 times." Spot on, just add to it "and use an approved oil meeting the mfg spec," and its golden.

Whatever lets you sleep better...

The key take away is Chrysler recommends the use of API certified MS-6395 oil.

I personally am running P4 5w30 in the '13 and PUP 5w30 in the '14. The next OCI both are getting Kendall GT-1 FS 5w30.

I find it interesting that they lowered the sump down to 5 qts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back