Are oil specs cross compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
Is the Shell Helix Ultra not available in America? It is the Factory fill of your Maserati.

The search stops there really if it's available.

It's rebranded as the Pennzoil in the manual (or very similar).

Hi Jimmy
My apologies. I did not realise Shell and Pennzoil were in 'bed together'.
'

Hi Jimmy
'

I guess there's no bed - Pennzoil is a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell since late 90s, together with Quaker State they form SOPUS to cover US market.

Originally Posted by avacado11
I just purchased a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4. Twin turbo V6 built by Ferrari. I don't have the owners manual so I don't know what the specific oil specification is, but Maserati recommends Pennzoil Euro 5W40

I believe the correct oil is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 as it is the only one that carries the Ferrari / Maserati spec. I believe this is called Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in North America.

Originally Posted by Shell
Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari. Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725

Don't worry too much about API SN Vs API SL, as the Euro A3/B4 and A3/B3 spec is much harder to get and shows it's a good oil. Some other points:
- API SN has Phos limits (reduced ZDDP, zinc) on resource conserving grades eg 0W20 & 5W30, so a Euro oil with high ZDDP can pass all the SN tests but must be call SL due to these additive limits. This dose not apply to the thicker grades (non-RC) so the SHU being a 5W40 can be called SN even with elevated ZDDP common to Euro oils.
- Out of the two Euro specs A3/B4 and A3/B3 the first spec (A3/B4) requires a higher TBN and better performance on the wear test, so A3/B4 is the better of the two. But if it makes A3/B4 then the lower A3/B3 can automatically be claimed as well.

So what you want is a full synthetic oil that is 0W40 or 5W40 with A3/B4.

I don't think the Ferrari spec is a real oil test, but the other OEMs like BMW, MB and Porsche are real tests above and beyond the regular A3/B4 tests. So I would looks for BMW LL-01, MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 as well. Two out of three for these would do me in a pinch. For a performance car like yours, I would be looking for Porsche A40 along with A3/B4. Plenty of oils offer that.

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Hi Jimmy
'

I guess there's no bed - Pennzoil is a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell since late 90s, together with Quaker State they form SOPUS to cover US market.

Hi
Thank you. I did not know that.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Someone say Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40? " Exceeds Maserati"

I've seen some euro oils at Walmart. Just need to figure out an alternative incase I can't get Pennzoil.
Just order online at walmart.com, and ship-to-your-local-store for pickup later.
https://www.walmart.com/nco/6-pack-Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-5W-40-Motor-Oil-1-qt/754837377
... or, Advance Autoparts should be able to ship it in to their store or to your door via the internet.
Probably your best bet since its by a reputable experienced company, and its the exact specs your car calls for, and its got the prancing horse recommendation printed right on the label, a direct hit !

Would it make sense to run something like Royal purple 5W40 or M1 Advanced with 6k intervals or just a waste of oil?
Mobil1 0w40 at walmart would work well. Royal Purple would be basically OK too, yet that is nothing special, and it normally costs a lot (marketing it with purple dye seems to entice some sheeple....).

You certainly can get creative, knowing the ACEA A3/B4 spec is met with a lot of 0w40 and 5w40 oils in existence.

I'd tend to favor a VW 504 oil in your application, such as Mobil1 ESP 5w30 with HTHS 3.5, right for your engine, would work with the new low-sulfur gasoline we finally have in the U.S. About the VW 504, Lubrizol says it is a little tougher spec to meet than the other German specs, so follow that 504 and you'll be fine. https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back