Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some thoughts on something. I am in the market for a new pickup that is sub $30K for a daily driver and the occasional weekend trip to get mulch, home supplies, etc. I have narrowed it down to the Ford Ranger 2.3 ecoboost, and the Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder. Both of these are right around $29K in the configuration I am looking at. I drive 80 miles/day on my commute - all highway

I have driven both, and am conflicted. The Tacoma has a weak engine, but it has a nice interior and a hear the 4 cylinder is bulletproof. The Ranger is quick off the line, and has a decent interior; not as nice as the Tacoma.

In terms of longevity, durability, and overall satisfaction, can anyone comment on the Ecoboost in the Ranger versus the 4 cylinder in the Toyota?? Thank you!

If you buy for life? get the Toyota. that 2.7 is a 400k mile engine min. get a used 2015 with a 2.7/ 5speed. The last year for 2.7 manual was 2019.

The 2.7 with the Auto is a dog, but a Banks Pedal monster will fix some of that.

Ranger drives like a car and is more comfy. But I feel its good for 150k trouble free miles, after that, not so much.

Wanted the Ridgeline, ended up with the Ranger. Ridgeline was just too much $$ for what I wanted it for, which was mainly homeowner 'truck stuff'. Put almost 18k on the Ranger so far. On a 5k oil change schedule and have already done a transmission D&F and will probably go to the aluminum pan with drain plugs to facilitate that in the future somewhere around 30K.

Also spent money on the 8 year 150k Ford warranty. If the valves cake, turbo goes, or the transmission craps, it will likely be in that range.

The truck drives great (for a truck), the engine runs plenty strong, and has been around long enough in very similar forms that they should have most of the bugs worked out.

Complaints so far? The 2 piece driveshaft clunk, which I have read plagues some Toyota's and other makes as well. Annoying but can be treated if you feel like it.

So far it has been on 2 long trips, the longest being 10 hours straight for me, comfortable enough for me to not miss taking my TL. I've towed fairly heavy (5500# 25' Travel Trailer)with it with no problems for a short trip. We might pick up a small travel trailer for the wife and I in the next few years if that market ever gets some sanity back into itself.

So far, its done everything I've asked of it with no complaints.

I intentionally bought the 'least' amount of truck that gave me what I wanted. It is essentially an XL (base model) with an appearance package, that got me aluminum wheels and a carpeted interior with some nicer stereo stuff. The 'FX2' package, which I bought only for the E-Locker, the stock FX2 shocks suck and have been replaced with Bilstiens in the rear. Also the towing package, which really only gets you a hitch and the 7 pin plug, you still have to add a brake controller if you want that function.

Not piling a ton of options on the truck got me a 1711# payload, for those that are into that type of number watching.

I was out the door under $28k, but this was very early 2021 right before everything got super stupid.

Ohh, fuel milage. Driving back and forth to work (15 miles country roads) if I drive like a normal person, 23-24. Driving like I drive my TL, 19-20.

Highway, 70-80(ish), 23 or so.
Super helpful! Thank you very much!!

This is what I was thinking. Seems to be a better fit for suburban daily driver use.
I will do that... looks like you can get a few options, too, and stay under the 30k price tag, with decent gas mileage. Thanks everyone... really appreciate the input and thoughts. This is really helpful.

Exactly. There are rental trucks available for this reason. For the few times a year that I absolutely needed a truck (instead of a minivan), I could have come out way ahead.
How much is a new minivan compared to the trucks he’s looking at? I doubt you’d be “way ahead.”

As with everything, a truck is a compromise. It offers ground clearance, towing capacity, exceptional hauling capacity, etc.

Everyone will be different, I’d love to see a minivan make it up to the trailheads i frequent (no really, I’d pay). Or take half a yard of 50/50 soil, or wet or muddy anything, or… we’ll hopefully you get the point.

At 24mpg I don’t think the difference in gas mileage compared to a minivan is going to be as significant as many as you think.

I had a 2006 x cab 4X4 extra cab with the 4 cyl and a manual my son has it now and I really liked the 4 cyl . It is a has more power that the 1992 Toyota truck 4x4 extra cab, manual with the 3.0 I had new until 2006 when it was rear ended and totaled when parked. Take both trucks on a longer test drive, then make the choice. I have owned mostly Toyotas and Ford Vehicles. Except a Dodge Challenger and a Chevrolet pick up

VW literally committed fraud on emissions testing by trying to bypass said emissions testing, purposefully and willfully, costing them almost $3 billion in fines. Toyota put some low tension rings in vehicles.

Roflcopter @ making that an equivalent comparison. Just roflcopter.
It was good fraud. My concern with a vehicle is reliability.

I had a 2006 x cab 4X4 extra cab with the 4 cyl and a manual my son has it now and I really liked the 4 cyl . It is a has more power that the 1992 Toyota truck 4x4 extra cab, manual with the 3.0 I had new until 2006 when it was rear ended and totaled when parked. Take both trucks on a longer test drive, then make the choice. I have owned mostly Toyotas and Ford Vehicles. Except a Dodge Challenger and a Chevrolet pick up. I prefer the ride and feel of a pick up small or large.

Performance: Ford

Longevity & dependability: Toyota

Your call, what's more important to you?

How much is a new minivan compared to the trucks he’s looking at? I doubt you’d be “way ahead.”

As with everything, a truck is a compromise. It offers ground clearance, towing capacity, exceptional hauling capacity, etc.

Everyone will be different, I’d love to see a minivan make it up to the trailheads i frequent (no really, I’d pay). Or take half a yard of 50/50 soil, or wet or muddy anything, or… we’ll hopefully you get the point.

At 24mpg I don’t think the difference in gas mileage compared to a minivan is going to be as significant as many as you think.
His comment was directed at car being better than a truck. And that one could use a car as a DD and come out ahead. Which absolutely true for the average suburban living situation.

The OP started mulch as need for a truck. How often is mulch needed? Once or twice a year? Assuming the 80 mile commute the OP has; the fuel savings on a car vs a truck would pay for the rental within the first month.

All that said, if one is doing what you’re doing, then sure a truck is needed. But you’re the exception not the rule. Most of the population lives in the city or burbs, not down some muddy, mile long drive.

His comment was directed at car being better than a truck. And that one could use a car as a DD and come out ahead. Which absolutely true for the average suburban living situation.

The OP started mulch as need for a truck. How often is mulch needed? Once or twice a year? Assuming the 80 mile commute the OP has; the fuel savings on a car vs a truck would pay for the rental within the first month.

All that said, if one is doing what you’re doing, then sure a truck is needed. But you’re the exception not the rule. Most of the population lives in the city or burbs, not down some muddy, mile long drive.
Lol I live in the burbs.

My point is that you will have to compromise on SOMETHING. Whether you choose a car or truck you’ll compromise something. Which way you go will be dependent on personal choice and which use is worth the compromise.

If OP says “mulch” I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that’s the ONLY use…

Lol I live in the burbs.

My point is that you will have to compromise on SOMETHING. Whether you choose a car or truck you’ll compromise something. Which way you go will be dependent on personal choice and which use is worth the compromise.

If OP says “mulch” I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that’s the ONLY use…
Sure everything is a compromise. And people can do whatever they choose with their money.

I commented to the info given. The focus seemed to be more of DD aspects of use with the “occasional” need for pick up duties.

I believe the 2.3 Turbo has been out for a while so there should be some comments on reliability out there. As for power, the 2.3 Turbo is 270 HP and the 2.7 Toyota naturally aspirated engine is 159 HP.

340EB8E5-F9DE-4E9D-ABCD-25C88C1BFE57.png
99B2B22C-F151-49BD-9FD0-10F5242948FC.png

I test drove a Taco in 2017, not sure if it was a 17 or 18 MY. Either way is basically the same truck they sell now.

The motor SUCKS. It wouldnt shift out of 5th gear because of a headwind and is just gutless below 3500. And that was the V6.

For that reason alone I would never buy one.

I’d pick the one that’s more comfortable.

That said, the right car would be more comfortable and economical as an all around daily driver. Hauling mulch and basic home improvement items isn’t really a reason to own a truck. Cars have trunks and folding back seats. Hauled an 8ft stick of lumber and some paint from Home Depot in my Fusion just last month. It did fine.

Unless you just absolutely want a truck of course
Our minivan is our “truck”. You can haul ALOT in a minivan. Throw down tarps for the dirty stuff.

I test drove a Taco in 2017, not sure if it was a 17 or 18 MY. Either way is basically the same truck they sell now.

The motor SUCKS. It wouldnt shift out of 5th gear because of a headwind and is just gutless below 3500. And that was the V6.

For that reason alone I would never buy one.
They are fun with the TRD supercharger. :love:

I have owned the Tacoma of some form since 1884… I currently still have a 2015 Tacoma … my son in law came from the F150 to a 2016 Tacoma and still has it…. I’m more than familiar with the good and bad… I also still own a 2005 4Runner.

At Christmas of 2019, I lost my daily driver which commutes 60+ miles per day that I had 250k on the odometer - a 2004 2wd manual 4 cylinder Tacoma. Lost it due to being in an accident where I was T boned.. I ended up replacing it with a, at the time new, 2019 Frontier King Cab Std Bed 6 cylinder Auto on New Year’s Eve of ‘19. I did this as this model was the last of the “non exciting” Frontier product line and, as a result, should have all the issues worked out including that time proven power train. So far, I couldn’t be happier with my decision as have 36k on it and have had no issues - all seems well.

If I were you, based upon my experience, I might try to find a ‘18 or ‘19 Frontier like something coming off lease as it should have all the positives I was looking for (proven and dependable) yet the price tag may not be as high as either the new Ranger or Tacoma

Last edited:
I always find it interesting how people say this or that motor sucks on X pickup truck pickup. Because it’s underpowered or mpg’s are horrible…

Case in point, I drive my 2020 Tundra very conservatively, typically don’t drive above 72 and rarely let it idle. My lifetime average in 17.5 mpg’s over the last two years. And I have no problems getting 18 on highway trips. And this is where the 2 gen and 2.5 gen Tundra constantly gets bashed…

IMHO owners don’t understand that any pickup needs to be drive like a pickup and not like a car. Meaning you should NOT be driving at 80 mph plus and whipping in and out of traffic PERIOD. They simply become highly inefficient and uncomfortable when operated like that. They are designed differently and have completely different characteristics at speed. Yes, some companies have adapted to that and made the pickups more car like while Toyota is kinda holding out. But that unfortunately negates it’s abilities as a towing/hauling vehicle even in the lightest applications.

And after my experiences the midsize class is tough because typically the vehicle’s are lighter. Meaning there’s only so much the manufacturers can do for ride quality and truck capabilities (give and take) because there simply not enough room. Full-sizes seem to inherently be much more comfortable than ANY midsize BOA vehicle.

I have owned many Toyota Tacoma’s and of course they have flaws but overall every generation has been excellent. The other think to mention here is that certain model packages provide different rides characteristics. Being that I frequent NYC I would never buy a TRD Sport package again because it’s overly stiff whereas the TRD Off-road package was light years more comfortable but doesn’t corner as well on the highway which goes to my original point…

Back