Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

Cool. Did Toyota commit fraud and have millions of vehicles sitting because of said fraud? One cannot really condemn Toyota for small issues like low tension rings whilst owning a vehicle from a company like VW, sorry.
Ok fan boy… get back to that when you’re changing rings and let me know how small of an issue that is …

Sorry you’re a fool if you think rings is a small issue… that’s the kind of stupid crap that the bob is the oil guy Toyota hoard spews..

VW literally committed fraud on emissions testing, purposefully and willfully, costing them almost $3 billion in fines. Toyota put some low tension rings in vehicles.

Roflcopter @ making that an equivalent comparison. Just roflcopter.
Im referring to the overinflated regard given to Toyota as some unicorn of reliability and quality.

My Tacoma has been steadily falling apart since 100k. Lots of well documented issues and failures (just like most vehicles).

The rangers platform is a global success and proven. The 2.3 has few issues, and the 10-speed transmission has been performing just fine in f-150’s for years.

Under no circumstances do I want to spend 300k miles in a 4cyl Tacoma. The seating position alone would make me jump out of a moving vehicle. The only unfortunate issue is that the 4cyl wouldn’t be going fast enough to end my agony.

I LIKE my Tacoma, but I’m over getting nickel and dimes by an older vehicle. Toyota isn’t exempt from this. I’d also like to be more comfortable in my advanced age (35). My back at 23 could take a whole lot more punishment.

Having owned an 01 Tacoma 3.4L V6 for ~19 years purchased new, 'ime' I'd agree with the term bulletproof. Based on that, another vote for Tacoma V6.

As an aside, seems to be getting ugly in here. Not really surprising though.

Ok fan boy… get back to that when you’re changing rings and let me know how small of an issue that is …

Sorry you’re a fool if you think rings is a small issue… that’s the kind of stupid crap that the bob is the oil guy Toyota hoard spews..
So, not a fan boy, I've never even owned a Toyota before. But thank you for that misguided and completely wrong opinion you have. It's been a while since someone has so utterly and completely stuffed their face with their foot.

Im referring to the overinflated regard given to Toyota as some unicorn of reliability and quality.

My Tacoma has been steadily falling apart since 100k. Lots of well documented issues and failures (just like most vehicles).

The rangers platform is a global success and proven. The 2.3 has few issues, and the 10-speed transmission has been performing just fine in f-150’s for years.

Under no circumstances do I want to spend 300k miles in a 4cyl Tacoma. The seating position alone would make me jump out of a moving vehicle. The only unfortunate issue is that the 4cyl wouldn’t be going fast enough to end my agony.

I LIKE my Tacoma, but I’m over getting nickel and dimes by an older vehicle. Toyota isn’t exempt from this. I’d also like to be more comfortable in my advanced age (35). My back at 23 could take a whole lot more punishment.
I concur, and I even stated that that they're overhyped in my initial post, something people apparently aren't able to read and comprehend. 😆😅

Is the Nissan Frontier on your radar at all? I haven't checked into pricing on them lately but they tend to be less expensive than Tacomas and the base engine across all trim levels is a 3.8 V-6 with good power.
I did drive the new Frontier. I liked it, but I haven't been able to find anything that isn't marked up ridiculously high. I've seen some "market adjustments" on the MSRP that push this out of my price territory.

Thank you everyone for your help. I am leaning towards the Ranger, as this is the more enjoyable truck to drive.... It's hard to think about putting 200 or 300K on a vehicle at this point, and it sounds like 200K in a Ranger, assuming I follow the maintenance schedule, is very doable. Appreciate all of the input!!

I have a 2020 Ridgeline. The most comfortable ride and seats I have ever had. Beats most cars and I get 28mpg. (FWD)
Ah the ridgeline i forgot those existed for a second. They use zf9's but i believe they've been fixed now so they should be good too.

Yeah a ridgeline would also be an option for me if i was shopping for either a ranger or tacoma. But id also give the new cool looking frontier a shot if i didn't want a Tacoma.

Thank you everyone for your help. I am leaning towards the Ranger, as this is the more enjoyable truck to drive.... It's hard to think about putting 200 or 300K on a vehicle at this point, and it sounds like 200K in a Ranger, assuming I follow the maintenance schedule, is very doable. Appreciate all of the input!!
200k with religious maintenance on the ranger is pretty doable. I think I'd do some intervals sooner.

I think they're pretty close in terms of reliability, maybe give the edge to Toyota. Everything else is somewhat subjective so I'd go with the one you get the better deal on and one you feel most comfortable driving.

The 96 was a much smaller vehicle. The new fatty will be unpleasant on the Highway and sluggish around town.

Possibly and that 2.7 has been improved over the years with some added horsepower and torque.

It depends on what you want to do with it. Towing? I would go with the V6.

Neither of these two ride great, but the nod would pro go to the mav.

Neither of these two qualify for section 179 so if you own a business they dont work as well.

Reliability? Toss up.

Common Maintenance- I dont like the oil change protocol on either and especially not the maverick with the priming issue.

Cool. Did Toyota commit fraud and have millions of vehicles sitting because of said fraud? One cannot really condemn Toyota for small issues like low tension rings whilst owning a vehicle from a company like VW, sorry.
There WAS that whole gas pedal thing they tried covering up 🤔

I did drive the new Frontier. I liked it, but I haven't been able to find anything that isn't marked up ridiculously high. I've seen some "market adjustments" on the MSRP that push this out of my price territory.
How much are they?

I’d pick the one that’s more comfortable.

That said, the right car would be more comfortable and economical as an all around daily driver. Hauling mulch and basic home improvement items isn’t really a reason to own a truck. Cars have trunks and folding back seats. Hauled an 8ft stick of lumber and some paint from Home Depot in my Fusion just last month. It did fine.

Unless you just absolutely want a truck of course

Reactions: FZ1
Frankly does it matter what company committed fraud? I'm sure all of you think long and hard how your smart phones are made before buying them...

The bottom line is the OP is looking at two trucks, he either prioritizes reliability or comfort. While I like the Tacoma, I'm not a fan of the seats. I used to drive 100 miles a day for work. Who cares how long the truck will last if it is uncomfortable to drive? Life is short, pick which product suits your needs better.

I +2 looking at the Ridgeline, it is a comfortable truck for commuting.

Back