Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

That said, the right car would be more comfortable and economical as an all around daily driver. Hauling mulch and basic home improvement items isn’t really a reason to own a truck.
Exactly. There are rental trucks available for this reason. For the few times a year that I absolutely needed a truck (instead of a minivan), I could have come out way ahead.

Exactly. There are rental trucks available for this reason. For the few times a year that I absolutely needed a truck (instead of a minivan), I could have come out way ahead.
Exactly, my thoughts as well. I have a 4x8 trailer that I pull behind my Sienna when I need to haul something. In the mean time, my Sienna is a very comfortable cruiser. The seats are like sitting in chairs, up off of the floor, very comfortable for long distance driving. I endorse this kind of thinking.

If you get the Ranger, make sure to buy the best OEM extended warranty. Do not get an aftermarket warranty that will use recycled and the cheapest parts for repairs...if they approve anything. It might be possible to shop around with different dealers for an OEM policy as well since dealers mark them up. I am not familiar if Ford does this or not, but with Honda's warranties the dealer wanted almost double for the factory 8 year 120k bumper to bumper coverage. I was able to get it after shopping around for way under MSRP.

Exactly, my thoughts as well. I have a 4x8 trailer that I pull behind my Sienna when I need to haul something. In the mean time, my Sienna is a very comfortable cruiser. The seats are like sitting in chairs, up off of the floor, very comfortable for long distance driving. I endorse this kind of thinking.
4x8 trailers are easier to load than most pick-ups anyway. I've concluded that unless you haul ATV's or tow on a regular basis, pick-up's are unnecessary for suburban homeowners.

And this is coming from someone who bought a new one in 2020.

4x8 trailers are easier to load than most pick-ups anyway. I've concluded that unless you haul ATV's or tow on a regular basis, pick-up's are unnecessary for suburban homeowners.

Whats the alternate tow vehicle?

Have you looked at a Honda Ridgeline? Basically, sound like you need a car with a bed? Exactly what a Ridgeline is. Drives and handles like car with plenty of room. My Ridgeline is 2006 with 250K on it. Drives like it is brand new and i have only done maintenance items so far.
My recommendation also. Mine has been near flawless for 15 years.

I’d venture most hitch receivers are virgins in my neighborhood.
Love trucks. Owned several. But they’re horrible as a long commute vehicle.

Reactions: FZ1
Wanted the Ridgeline, ended up with the Ranger. Ridgeline was just too much $$ for what I wanted it for, which was mainly homeowner 'truck stuff'. Put almost 18k on the Ranger so far. On a 5k oil change schedule and have already done a transmission D&F and will probably go to the aluminum pan with drain plugs to facilitate that in the future somewhere around 30K.

Also spent money on the 8 year 150k Ford warranty. If the valves cake, turbo goes, or the transmission craps, it will likely be in that range.

The truck drives great (for a truck), the engine runs plenty strong, and has been around long enough in very similar forms that they should have most of the bugs worked out.

Complaints so far? The 2 piece driveshaft clunk, which I have read plagues some Toyota's and other makes as well. Annoying but can be treated if you feel like it.

So far it has been on 2 long trips, the longest being 10 hours straight for me, comfortable enough for me to not miss taking my TL. I've towed fairly heavy (5500# 25' Travel Trailer)with it with no problems for a short trip. We might pick up a small travel trailer for the wife and I in the next few years if that market ever gets some sanity back into itself.

So far, its done everything I've asked of it with no complaints.

I intentionally bought the 'least' amount of truck that gave me what I wanted. It is essentially an XL (base model) with an appearance package, that got me aluminum wheels and a carpeted interior with some nicer stereo stuff. The 'FX2' package, which I bought only for the E-Locker, the stock FX2 shocks suck and have been replaced with Bilstiens in the rear. Also the towing package, which really only gets you a hitch and the 7 pin plug, you still have to add a brake controller if you want that function.

Not piling a ton of options on the truck got me a 1711# payload, for those that are into that type of number watching.

I was out the door under $28k, but this was very early 2021 right before everything got super stupid.

Ohh, fuel milage. Driving back and forth to work (15 miles country roads) if I drive like a normal person, 23-24. Driving like I drive my TL, 19-20.

Highway, 70-80(ish), 23 or so.

Last edited:
I owned a 1gen tundra, which shared many parts with the taco. I also own a v6 ecoboost. Not the same, but relevant.

the toyota seat thing is pretty simple, they sit low with your feet forward. That’s one of the reasons the body lines of the taco look so good. Plenty of ground clearance, yet its not overly tall. Some folks are fine with it, and others want to have a taller chair where the legs drop down more. I didn’t have any issues with it in mine. Compare with the looks of the ranger and you’ll see the difference - it is as tall as a modern full-size yet less wide. Tacomas also use large tires relative to their size, and that unsprung weight, and (depending on the model) rugged spring rates detract from passenger comfort, while also improving stability and load carrying capacity. Softer sprung trucks conversely handle like jelly when they are loaded up. My tundra drove best with 500 lbs in the bed. It beat me for hours on the interstate empty.

the rangers 2.3 is in seemingly half of fords vehicles right now. Ranger, focus, escape, explorer, maybe more. I was extremely impressed with it as a loaner car. it has the sportiness of a 4 and yet could dish out all the power the loaner explorer needed. Very smooth and balanced. The eco v6 in my f150 is a remarkably well tuned/programmed engine, and the transmission programming is as concise as that in my Lexus. And for a full-size truck, 20.9 avg mpg is outstanding. I really really like the ecoboost implementation. Icing on the cake, tow mode programming is superb.

there are notable differences, however, too. Ford uses more plastic where toyota will stamp metal instead. The weatherstripping in the toyota was thicker, and the doors stayed tighter, longer. I’ve had quirks developing in the f150…. had transmission hiccup the dealer couldn’t fix, lost AC at 1 year, one window switch doesn’t always work, the interior is starting to creak, it has a super slow coolant weep at a known problem o-ring, and sync3, while one of the best-of-breed, changes pages if I hit a bump amidst a left turn. That’s a lot in 4 years. the ford has more quirks, hands down.

but if I had to choose between the ranger and the taco, for my use (commuting, occasional towing, haul the rider around, etc), it’s the ranger. If I wanted to run trails, toyota.

I bought a brand new 3rd gen Tacoma that I kept less than a year. It might be reliable, but I couldn't suffer through the driving experience any longer. Lesson learned, don't buy on reputation alone, take a LONG test drive.

I haven't driven the new Ranger, but I like the Ecoboost in my F150. I know for certain I wouldn't buy another 3rd gen Tacoma.
I have read numerous professional reviews that said the exact same thing. Yea-drive it two or three hundred thousand but be miserable while you are doing it. Makes little sense to me.

There isn't one. If you need to tow, then you should own a suitable vehicle. Of all the trucks on my street (and it's a long street), only 2 of them have items to tow.

Im trying to follow - you insinuated to load up a trailer vs buy a truck, but it'd better be pretty light.

Agreed lots of peeps buy trucks and tow or haul nothing at least a mid sized truck is less of a waste than a 1/2 ton moving just air.

100% agree. My Aluma 4x8 enclosed trailer is literally the best automotive purchase I’ve ever made. I currently pull it with my MINI Clubman S - with the Genuine BMW/MINI (Brink) trailer hitch. I get a 40 MPG daily driver, then hook it up and have about the same cargo volume as a Ford Econoline van. 4x8 sheets fit, sealed from the elements, and locked - unlike a pickup.

Plus no extra insurance, almost no extra maintenance, no recurring license fees, etc.

AFA81AA8-C8B6-4DA8-919C-207378A43299.jpeg

Last edited:
If you get the Ranger, make sure to buy the best OEM extended warranty. Do not get an aftermarket warranty that will use recycled and the cheapest parts for repairs...if they approve anything. It might be possible to shop around with different dealers for an OEM policy as well since dealers mark them up. I am not familiar if Ford does this or not, but with Honda's warranties the dealer wanted almost double for the factory 8 year 120k bumper to bumper coverage. I was able to get it after shopping around for way under MSRP.
There are actually 2 dealers that are online that are routinely the cheapest for the ford warranty.

Flood Ford and Ziegler Ford.

Not shockingly they're the two at the top of Google seach results, probably because they sell the most warranties out of everyone. I purchased mine from Flood, very painless process and they will give you 12 months 0% if you choose....or at least they did when I picked mine up in October.

Back