Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

I’ve been thinking very similarly to you.

My only concern with the Ranger is the turbo on the engine. I ran a fleet of turbo F150’s that had some issues (not all turbo related), but they were all V6. I’m just not sure a turbo engine will last 300,000 miles like the NA engines in the Tacoma.

But I do like the Ranger better.
That's my struggle. The ecoboost is a compelling engine. If this truck was a dog, it would be easy. I also might be leaning towards the Ranger if this truck had a longer history in the U.S. with that engine. It came back here in 2019, so most people are still well under 100K on these motors.

This is very wrong.

Seating position (long distance) may be an issue in the Tacoma. The 4cyl Tacoma is a total pig.

The 2.3 EB in the ranger is powerful and smooth. It also comes with a better transmission.

I own a Tacoma - my BIL owns a ranger. I’d buy ranger no contest today.

Yes, I must have skipped over the fact that the Taco was a 4cyl. F that noise all day long. No, just no. If it comes down to the 4cyl being the only option in the Taco, I'd rather buy a Suzuki Samurai or some other random shishkabob.

This is very wrong. They are hyped as lifestyle vehicles.

Seating position (long distance) may be an issue in the Tacoma. The 4cyl Tacoma is a total pig.

The 2.3 EB in the ranger is powerful and smooth. It also comes with a better transmission.

I own a Tacoma - my BIL owns a ranger. I’d buy ranger no contest today.
Do you mind me asking.... what year is the Ranger and do you know how many miles he has on it? Thanks!

How long or by how many miles do you want to own it.

Because an NA toyota 4 cyl with a known bulletproof 6spd (one I've driven and experienced the smoothness of) and a turbocharged engine with a ford/gm 10 speed (same trashcan in my escalade) are very different.

If not long the ranger since it would probably be better all round until things start showing their rear 150k miles out. If 20 years and 300k you already know the answer.

That's my struggle. The ecoboost is a compelling engine. If this truck was a dog, it would be easy. I also might be leaning towards the Ranger if this truck had a longer history in the U.S. with that engine. It came back here in 2019, so most people are still well under 100K on these motors.
You can gamble on what seems to be a decent engine from Ford or live every day with a total pig from toyota.

You can gamble on what seems to be a decent engine from Ford or live every day with a total pig from toyota.
The 2TR-FE in the Tacoma is fairly reliable by modern standards, but it is going to be miserably slow and the Tacoma's driving dynamics are already pretty terrible. Reliability is important, but life might be too short to put up with this misery for 200K.

I see the Toyota love fest is alive and well, they can’t get oil rings right and in some cases can’t manage to properly attach a steering wheel to a steering gear but around here you’d think they were built by the Greek gods and just hovered through life like A magic carpet never needing anything… what a big steaming pile of :poop:

I see the Toyota love fest is alive and well, they can’t get oil rings right and in some cases can’t manage to properly attach a steering wheel to a steering gear but around here you’d think they were built by the Greek gods and just hovered through life like A magic carpet never needing anything… what a big steaming pile of :poop:
Says the person who owns a new(er) VW. Roflcopter

Yes, I must have skipped over the fact that the Taco was a 4cyl. F that noise all day long. No, just no. If it comes down to the 4cyl being the only option in the Taco, I'd rather buy a Suzuki Samurai or some other random shishkabob.
My Honda K24 2.4L is 190hp- how much do you need?

That 2.7 four banger is a great motor. Sure it won’t be a speedster but if it fits your needs then that is all that matters.

I used to own a 96 Tacoma with the 2.7 and automatic transmission. It did all that was asked of it.

That 2.7 four banger is a great motor. Sure it won’t be a speedster but if it fits your needs then that is all that matters.

I used to own a 96 Tacoma with the 2.7 and automatic transmission. It did all that was asked of it.
The 96 was a much smaller vehicle. The new fatty will be unpleasant on the Highway and sluggish around town.

I own both a Tacoma AND a new VW.

He’s not wrong.
VW literally committed fraud on emissions testing by trying to bypass said emissions testing, purposefully and willfully, costing them almost $3 billion in fines. Toyota put some low tension rings in vehicles.

Roflcopter @ making that an equivalent comparison. Just roflcopter.

Back