Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some thoughts on something. I am in the market for a new pickup that is sub $30K for a daily driver and the occasional weekend trip to get mulch, home supplies, etc. I have narrowed it down to the Ford Ranger 2.3 ecoboost, and the Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder. Both of these are right around $29K in the configuration I am looking at. I drive 80 miles/day on my commute - all highway

I have driven both, and am conflicted. The Tacoma has a weak engine, but it has a nice interior and a hear the 4 cylinder is bulletproof. The Ranger is quick off the line, and has a decent interior; not as nice as the Tacoma.

In terms of longevity, durability, and overall satisfaction, can anyone comment on the Ecoboost in the Ranger versus the 4 cylinder in the Toyota?? Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some thoughts on something. I am in the market for a new pickup that is sub $30K for a daily driver and the occasional weekend trip to get mulch, home supplies, etc. I have narrowed it down to the Ford Ranger 2.3 ecoboost, and the Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cylinder. Both of these are right around $29K in the configuration I am looking at. I drive 80 miles/day on my commute - all highway

I have driven both, and am conflicted. The Tacoma has a weak engine, but it has a nice interior and a hear the 4 cylinder is bulletproof. The Ranger is quick off the line, and has a decent interior; not as nice as the Tacoma.

In terms of longevity, durability, and overall satisfaction, can anyone comment on the Ecoboost in the Ranger versus the 4 cylinder in the Toyota?? Thank you!
I have not seen ONE REVIEW that says the Tacoma is a good highway cruiser. Quite the opposite-many say the drivers seat position is horrible. Don't know what it is with Toyota and their seats/seating position. The 4Runner is the same way-horrible seats. Buy the Ranger-and I'm not even a big Ford fan but that's the better truck here-ride/seats wise.

IMO it depends on how long you intend to keep the truck. In the short term the Ranger will be fine, in the long run the Toyota is a better bet. The Toyota engine is indeed bulletproof and could easily go 300k+ miles with only normal maintenance, with the Ecoboost you can expect to have problems with the turbocharger (or problems with the engine caused by the turbocharger) at some point.
I should also mention that, 20 years out, based on prior experience, the Toyota will be worth more money (if it matters).

Last edited:
That is part of my question. I am just curious if people are experiencing issues with the Ecoboost that would make this a bad purchase? I have never owned a Ford product, and I have never had a turbo in a vehicle before. I don't want to choose something that will be a headache once it is outside the warranty period. Thank you to everyone for your comments..... this is very helpful!

The engine is one thing, overall durability is another. I couldnt trust the Ford on lasting as long as the Tacoma. Sure thats subjective (Every ford Ive owned had some serious durability issues over the years, and Ive only had good luck with Toyota) but the Tacomas platform is significantly newer than the Ford. Also, alot less technology which is sort of outdated already.

The Ford ecoboost is going to way out perform both the I4 and V6 versions of the Tacoma in daily driving.

If you can get over the typical Ford quality issues, go for it. You can never go wrong with a Tacoma in my opinion though.

I bought a brand new 3rd gen Tacoma that I kept less than a year. It might be reliable, but I couldn't suffer through the driving experience any longer. Lesson learned, don't buy on reputation alone, take a LONG test drive.

I haven't driven the new Ranger, but I like the Ecoboost in my F150. I know for certain I wouldn't buy another 3rd gen Tacoma.

I have driven both, and am conflicted.
It would help if you determined and shared with us what YOUR priorities are. For me, drivetrain and overall reliability and ease of maintenance matter most. Other's care about comfort, driving dynamics, infotainment refinements, etc..

For me, people saying that something is "dated" (i.e., reliable - bugs worked out) actually appeals to me. As glock19 just stated, he could not tolerate the driving experience of the Taco.

Reactions: JTK
I’ve been thinking very similarly to you.

My only concern with the Ranger is the turbo on the engine. I ran a fleet of turbo F150’s that had some issues (not all turbo related), but they were all V6. I’m just not sure a turbo engine will last 300,000 miles like the NA engines in the Tacoma.

But I do like the Ranger better.

Lots of good info here. Summarize: For short term, get the Ford. For the long term, get the Toyota. Your choice.

Reactions: hrv
It would help if you determined and shared with us what YOUR priorities are. For me, drivetrain and overall reliability and ease of maintenance matter most. Other's care about comfort, driving dynamics, infotainment refinements, etc..

For me, people saying that something is "dated" (i.e., reliable - bugs worked out) actually appeals to me. As glock19 just stated, he could not tolerate the driving experience of the Taco.
Great question, and thank you... for me, I would say reliability & dependability, followed by drivetrain, and then comfort. Thank you!

Have you looked at a Honda Ridgeline? Basically, sound like you need a car with a bed? Exactly what a Ridgeline is. Drives and handles like car with plenty of room. My Ridgeline is 2006 with 250K on it. Drives like it is brand new and i have only done maintenance items so far.

Have you looked at a Honda Ridgeline? Basically, sound like you need a car with a bed? Exactly what a Ridgeline is. Drives and handles like car with plenty of room. My Ridgeline is 2006 with 250K on it. Drives like it is brand new and i have only done maintenance items so far.
I have not. I had been thinking about sub 30K new pickups, so am thinking this would need to be a used model. Thank you for suggesting!

As much as Tacomas are overhyped, they are hyped for a reason. Tacoma.
This is very wrong. They are hyped as lifestyle vehicles.

Seating position (long distance) may be an issue in the Tacoma. The 4cyl Tacoma is a total pig.

The 2.3 EB in the ranger is powerful and smooth. It also comes with a better transmission. Not to mention the ranger is a global platform with years of a solid reputation.

I own a Tacoma - my BIL owns a ranger. I’d buy ranger no contest today.

Back