Microsoft Office - Buy Subscription?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess that's the only option if I want Word? Definitely not opposed to buying, as it's a product that a company has spent time/money to develop and sell at a profit. The prices just seem pretty rich.

I'm updating my resume, which I have on Microsoft Word (originally composed on a different laptop than I have now, and Word 2003 was included in the price of the Dell laptop when I bought it in 2007). I fired up the old laptop (I had bought a different one a few years ago because the Dell had just gotten really slow, beyond the point of help), emailed to myself, then saved the Word doc to my newer laptop. Problem is, the Microsoft Office suite that was on the newer laptop (an HP) is expired, so I don't have the option of editing the resume.

When I click on "renew", several options are given, including an option to subscribe ($99/year for a premium version of "Office 365 Home", which includes "premium versions of Office applications, plus online storage and more, for up to 6 people", or, $69/year for the same thing, but with less online storage, billed as being for 1 person, or, an option to "buy" the "Classic" version of the software, for "one person", for a one-time fee of $149.

It seems to me like definitely the better deal to buy it outright, vs. "leasing". But, what if I get a different computer? Would I then be able to install the Office software on the different computer? Or would I have to buy the software all over again? Another question: I can't remember if I paid to have Office installed on that Dell back in 2007, or if the Office software was included in the price. If, indeed, I did pay to have it installed, would that mean I would have a product key somewhere that I could use to install that on my newer laptop?

Anyway, I thought I'd ask, because computers and hardware and software aren't my thing, and maybe some of you guys might know something I don't.

What should I do? I rarely use Word, but, I would like the option to use it if I need to. I "can" still use the Word 2003 on my old laptop to edit my resume, for now.

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question to ask, but, as I mentioned, I've never been too computer-savvy.

Thanks.

I did the cheaper ($69) option for one year and I am pretty sure that you were allowed to install on up to 5 (?) devices; but even so, I had the option to de-register a device and install elsewhere. Having the option to use Word and other Office products online a la Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, etc. was extremely cool.

I have to ask: Do you NEED Word? Can LibreOffice not suffice? There is not a really functional way as yet to use LibreOffice online but it is a very, very capable office suite.

Originally Posted by rkpatt
Try Libreoffice. It is MS Office compatible (close enough for most people) - www.libreoffice.org

Thanks. That was just the kind of information I was hoping for!

I don't see why that software wouldn't suit my needs.

So far, google drive has met my needs for school, can be accessible from any device. I can even continue to work on my stuff from a cell phone (pita, but an option).

If you use LibreOffice open Writer, click on Tools, Options, Load Save, General. Choose Always Save As: Microsoft Word 97-2003. We use Word at work but LibreOffice works for most things. I, like you have Word 2003 on an old laptop for some things that are easier for me to edit. But online it is LibreOffice all that way.

if you have a student or know one you might be able to get a copy for free. my kids schools allowed 3 copies to be downloaded to students email

Google Drive, and then when you're done, as Miller88 said, save as a PDF. You don't want to submit to an employer as a .docx file

If your documents aren't too elaborate, try WordPad - it has good basic functionality. The program has been built into Windows iterations as far back as I can remember. It'll open .docx files

The crazy offshoot of people feeling they need Word for the creation of published documents, it the morphing in corporations of the Word doc and docx formats AS a publishing format. And it doesn't seem to bother anyone.

People gladly distribute meeting minutes, agendas, project plans in Word format. Why is that?; it is not a publishing format, it is a document creation format.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hidden-text-shows-sco-prepped-lawsuit-against-bofa/

The SCO Group filed lawsuits this week against DaimlerChrysler and AutoZone, but the Unix seller's attorneys also had prepared a complaint against Bank of America, according to a document.

A Microsoft Word document of SCO's suit against DaimlerChrysler, seen by CNET News.com, originally identified Bank of America as the defendant instead of the automaker. This revision and others in the document can be seen through powerful but often forgotten features in Microsoft Word known as invisible electronic ink.

DOH!

As suggested open or libreoffice are the way to go to get off the lock in treadmill MS wants you on.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I've used Apache Open Office for years. It's been bulletproof regardless of platform.

https://www.openoffice.org/

You also get spreadsheet, and the ability to save in multiple formats, including you guessed it, .doc, .docx.

Thanks; do you feel there's an advantage to Apache Open Office over Libre?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
I've used Apache Open Office for years. It's been bulletproof regardless of platform.

You also get spreadsheet, and the ability to save in multiple formats, including you guessed it, .doc, .docx.

I'm not familiar with Libre so can't comment on any advantages or disadvantages between the two. I just know that Open Office works reliably and allows me to save in a multitude of formats - not only the word processor but the spreadsheet too.

If you have an ebay account you can get an office pro plus license for like ten bucks.

The vendor will instantly email you a key, and you download the software from microsoft directly.

I assume these are grey market keys from lower income countries, but I never had issue activating the keys I purchased.

I messed with open office for a few years, and the documents never end up looking "right" when someone else looks at them in word.

Word also has a nice PDF processor so that can eliminate another license if you need to print to pdf, etc.

I had the same questions as the OP. I've read replies and tried to download Libreoffice 6.0.6, but it won't load. It starts saving the file and fails when it gets half way. New this year Dell desktop with windows 10. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by john_pifer

I'm not familiar with Libre so can't comment on any advantages or disadvantages between the two. I just know that Open Office works reliably and allows me to save in a multitude of formats - not only the word processor but the spreadsheet too.

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice after OpenOffice was acquired by Oracle some years ago. LibreOffice is in essence a successor and is much more actively developed these days.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice after OpenOffice was acquired by Oracle some years ago. LibreOffice is in essence a successor and is much more actively developed these days.

Ahh...Thanks for the information I did not know that!

Maybe I will check into it next time I need to set it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back