Microsoft driving me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents started complaining today that they couldn't use Windows Messenger or whatever the heck it's called these days - MSN Messenger, Windows Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, Live Messenger...they can't even figure out what the heck to call it. They use it to casually keep in touch with my sister in the UK, so it's a big deal to them.

So upon checking my father's notebook, Messenger required an update before it could be used. Fine, I click on Yes to download the latest version and wait.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft, and personally use Ubuntu and Mint on my own systems. If I absolutely must use a Microsoft operating system, Windows 2000 or XP is my pick.

That said, despite running Genine copies of Microsoft software, I never turn on automatic updates. It's been my experience that it just downloads a lot of rubbish I just don't need - e.g. updates for Microsoft Outlook, which isn't even installed on the system!

I just keep an eye on Service Packs where I can, and prefer to install those instead of dealing with updates on silly occasions like every other day.

Now, this system is running Vista Service Pack 1. I never really liked Vista, and not only does it take a century to load the operating system, but my blood pressure goes out the roof having to authorise every little task I'm about to perform.

Afer waiting a 15 minutes for the download to complete, I then get a message to say I have to upgrade to Service Pack 2. So I choose to manually download the update and run it myself, as opposed to running the dreaded Windows update. A couple of searches and another 15 minutes later, I was able to locate the downloadable files. But then there's more confusion - you either choose the Five Languages version or the All Languages version. Considering the operating system is in English, and downloading an additional 200 megabytes is going to be a waste of bandwidth, I decide to download the Five Languages version. Great, but where's the downloadable file?

Another couple of minutes later, I find the Five Languages version and leave the system running for 35 minutes so it can download the 350 odd megabyte file. It takes a whole 35 minutes to install the update, and I just thank God that was over...until I run the setup program again! Now it tells me I need to download the Windows Platform Update and the only way it can be downloaded is through Windows Update.

I run Windows Update, and behold there's already a ton of security updates for Service Pack 2. Going through the Important Updates, KB971644 or whatever alphabet soup Microsoft decided to call it isn't on the list. Look in the Optional Updates list, and it's right there. If I need this rubbish to install something simple like Messenger, I would have imagined it being listed under Important Updates. So much for logic. It's being downloaded right now, as I type.

So there you have it, almost 4 hours wasted trying to install (what I consider) a useless peice of software like Messenger because of all the rubbish Microsoft requires. Why people are so obessed with this piece of garbage is just beyond my understanding.
mad.gif

If you had left Windows Update on, none of this would have been necessary, LOL!

The updates are released due to bugs and security problems that NEED to be addressed.

Windows is sort of a "constant work in progress".

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
So there you have it, almost 4 hours wasted trying to install (what I consider) a useless peice of software like Messenger because of all the rubbish Microsoft requires. Why people are so obessed with this piece of garbage is just beyond my understanding.
mad.gif

As an alternative solution, Pidgin is available for Windows. I do not believe Empathy is, however. I have tried Pidgin on Windows platforms and it works fine.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
If you had left Windows Update on, none of this would have been necessary, LOL!

The updates are released due to bugs and security problems that NEED to be addressed.

I suppose. I just find that the more updates are installed on the system, the slower it becomes over time. That, and the useless updates I mentioned earlier, such as the one for Outlook on a system that doesn't have Outlook installed. I though it thoroughly scanned the system to determine which updates were required??

Also, it's just crazy you pay high dollar for software that just hasn't been tested thoroughly (?) and countless patches/updates are necessary down the line that need to be adressed. Then again, it's just me.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
As an alternative solution, Pidgin is available for Windows. I do not believe Empathy is, however. I have tried Pidgin on Windows platforms and it works fine.

Thanks, I'll give it a look!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I agree with OVERK1LL. And why in the world would you choose Windows 2000 or XP over Window 7?

Windows Vista!
wink.gif

I quit using windows live messenger a long time ago, I have found that skype is a much better program in every way! Computer to computer communication is free, chat, voice and video communication, as well as multiple people voice and text chat. Plus it's not a Microsoft program!

You should convice the family to switch to this, I'm sure it will make both their lives and yours easier!

Dreaded Windows Update? You've got to be kidding...

Ubuntu has just as many updates released for it on a regular basis that sometimes break certain functionality because of a change to whatever it was that updated, requires just as many security checks (and instead of yes/no you have to enter your password every time), and overall is more difficult to massage into working just how you want it to.

I run a Xubuntu machine as my primary, OS X for things that require it (ipod mostly), and Windows 7 and XP on my gaming PC; my experiences with all of these platforms lead me to believe that you are some kind of extremely biased Linux fanboy/Windows hater. Your arguements are baseless and all of your problems are self inflicted due to not following very basic good computing practices.

All systems have their ups/downs but what you've just described essentially could have happened on any one of the 3 major systems.

Originally Posted By: Camry_Frenzy37
I quit using windows live messenger a long time ago, I have found that skype is a much better program in every way! Computer to computer communication is free, chat, voice and video communication, as well as multiple people voice and text chat. Plus it's not a Microsoft program!

You should convice the family to switch to this, I'm sure it will make both their lives and yours easier!

True. Only problem is, Skype is blocked by my ISP because of it's Voice over IP capabilities, thanks to a government legislation.

Originally Posted By: mkIIIman089
Dreaded Windows Update? You've got to be kidding...

Ubuntu has just as many updates released for it on a regular basis that sometimes break certain functionality because of a change to whatever it was that updated, requires just as many security checks (and instead of yes/no you have to enter your password every time), and overall is more difficult to massage into working just how you want it to.

I run a Xubuntu machine as my primary, OS X for things that require it (ipod mostly), and Windows 7 and XP on my gaming PC; my experiences with all of these platforms lead me to believe that you are some kind of extremely biased Linux fanboy/Windows hater. Your arguements are baseless and all of your problems are self inflicted due to not following very basic good computing practices.

All systems have their ups/downs but what you've just described essentially could have happened on any one of the 3 major systems.

My involvement with Microsoft operating systems go back to MS-DOS 6.22. I've used Microsoft software more than anything else all these years, and I'm anything but a Windows hater. My experience with Linux (mostly SuSE) only goes back to 2008, so there's only so much I can say about that. Assumption is the mother of all f ups.
wink.gif

The point I'm making is not about flaws with the operating system. What bugs me the most about Microsoft is the fact that you pay a lot of money for their software. Yet they do not get it right before the software hits the shelves. With free software, one can't really complain about flaws and problems because essentially you get what you pay for.

I stopped downloading updates on my XP machine @ Service Pack 2.Far as I'm concerned,my security setup is far stronger then what MS Updates can do for my old XP PC.

One thing I forgot to mention, as far as basic computing practices are concerned. Whilst I may not use the automatic Windows updater, I do have a habit of updating security software (anti-virus/spyware, etc.) on a weekly basis. I also run scans soon after the update has been completed.

I also have TuneUp Utilities on my computers to help defragment the registry and hard disk, scan the hard disk for flaws, etc. So it's not really a case of neglect.

Yeah, you've got to get updated to Windows 7 which is way more steamlined then Vista. If you don't also keep your Windows version with the lastest updates that fix problems that slow down the computer your just asking for trouble in the future.

Atleast your not someone that's still stuck in XP. I wish people would just let that almost 10 year old software die already.

True. Only problem is, Skype is blocked by my ISP because of it's Voice over IP capabilities, thanks to a government legislation.

Can't you just change the port it uses? I have heard of many ISP's throttling port 1720 to either conserve bandwidth or to reserve the bandwidth for their own VOIP offerings; so I just change it something else! Heck, I think Skype might even use a different port now by default.

I second (or third, or fourth) the recommendations for Pidgin. It'll run just fine on Windows and you can access other protocols besides MSN. If video is needed, though, Skype or Google Talk might be the best choice (Pidgin is a long way from being able to "just work" with video conferencing).

Originally Posted By: strongt
Yeah, you've got to get updated to Windows 7 which is way more steamlined then Vista. If you don't also keep your Windows version with the lastest updates that fix problems that slow down the computer your just asking for trouble in the future.

Atleast your not someone that's still stuck in XP. I wish people would just let that almost 10 year old software die already.

Alotta people still use XP at home plus alot of large companies still use XP.It's reliable,period. When updates stop for XP,then we'll see more people / companies upgrade,but with this economy,you wont see everyone tryin to keep up with the joneses.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
[Can't you just change the port it uses? I have heard of many ISP's throttling port 1720 to either conserve bandwidth or to reserve the bandwidth for their own VOIP offerings; so I just change it something else! Heck, I think Skype might even use a different port now by default.

I second (or third, or fourth) the recommendations for Pidgin. It'll run just fine on Windows and you can access other protocols besides MSN. If video is needed, though, Skype or Google Talk might be the best choice (Pidgin is a long way from being able to "just work" with video conferencing).

I'm downloading Skype over torrent right now, will give it a try - thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

So you're competent with bittorrent and are still paying for Windows? Thats some will power!
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I would not do that if I were you. You can get the binary right from Skype's site. The install files floating around the interwebs may have been buggered with...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Yes, as is any ongoing software project.

When updates cease, the software begins to die.

Of course, it could still be useful for many years after that.

I have a 2007 Dell running XP/Ubuntu 10.04 and a 2008 Dell running Vista/10.04. I've accepted every Windows Update that ever came down the pike and never had a problem that I could knowingly blame on the update itself. I try to be vigilant concerning virus/malware scans and I don't let the [censored] get out of hand. They both run like the wind in either OS and aside from the boot time required by XP, I remain totally satisfied with both and have no need to go to Win 7. It's my humble opinion that problems with updates begin when the user begins trying to pick and choose which ones he can ignore. I don't trust MS 100%, but that's been my experience. Make of it what you will.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I have a 2007 Dell running XP/Ubuntu 10.04 and a 2008 Dell running Vista/10.04. I've accepted every Windows Update that ever came down the pike and never had a problem that I could knowingly blame on the update itself. I try to be vigilant concerning virus/malware scans and I don't let the [censored] get out of hand. They both run like the wind in either OS and aside from the boot time required by XP, I remain totally satisfied with both and have no need to go to Win 7. It's my humble opinion that problems with updates begin when the user begins trying to pick and choose which ones he can ignore. I don't trust MS 100%, but that's been my experience. Make of it what you will.

My experience with MS mirrors yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back