Michelin Premier or Uniroyal Tigerpaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Kia Optima. The O.E.M. Nexens will need to be replaced within the next 5000 km or so. I will be changing over to my winter tires in another month and a half, so the replacements for the Nexens need only be a summer tire. I have got it down to Michelin Premiers and or the less expensive Uniroyal Tigerpaws. There is about a $140 difference in a set of four tires. Recommendations?

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have a 2011 Kia Optima. The O.E.M. Nexens will need to be replaced within the next 5000 km or so. I will be changing over to my winter tires in another month and a half, so the replacements for the Nexens need only be a summer tire. I have got it down to Michelin Premiers and or the less expensive Uniroyal Tigerpaws. There is about a $140 difference in a set of four tires. Recommendations?

The bolded part doesn't make sense. Both of the tires you listed are all-seasons, not summer tires...

Originally Posted By: AccordK24

The bolded part doesn't make sense. Both of the tires you listed are all-seasons, not summer tires...

I think the intent of the statement is that the tires would only be used for 3 seasons, so they don't need to be super capable of dealing with ice or snow.

I've owned to sets of Tiger Paw first set on an 93 Camry LE good tire handled well wore well. Second set on an 03 Honda Element EX 2wd made the car have no center feel and when they got some miles on them were very noisy but wore well, just wanted them gone after a while. Don't know about the Michelin

Last edited:
Neither.

A really good choice would be the Falken Ziex ZE950. A nice high performance tire.

The Kumho Solus TA71 has a $100 rebate on a set of 4, and they're not very expensive, either.

Another good tire is the Dunlop Signature II. Relatively affordable and US-made.

Uniroyal is garbage, and Michelin is expensive for no reason.

Is there a reason you narrowed it down to those tires? You have one if the most expensive all season tires and a tire from a low-end brand that mainly sells on price point.

I think there are a lot of choices in between that will cost less than the Michelin while performing very well, likely better than the Uniroyal.

Which specific model of Tiger Paw is it? There are more than one.

If it really is between only these two choices and cost doesn't matter, then get the Michelin.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Is there a reason you narrowed it down to those tires?

Suggest you check out the tire rack website. By doing a bit of toing and froing you can get to a page comparing a number of tires suitable for your vehicle.

Having said that, I have Michelin Premiers on my 2007 Honda Accord and am quite happy with them. I also have snow tires but need some shoulder season capability - thus the choice of all season radials.

Tiger paw tourings are a great value/ all around tire and wear like iron. Perfect for your 65 series midsize sedan.

I can vouch for the Toyo Versado II, which put to shame the previous tires I had on the wife's Infiniti: Goodyear Eagles and Cooper Zeons. Toyo is a lesser known brand in the USA, but these Versados are sweet.

On most of the comparison sites that I looked at the Michelins were rated #1. Some of the other makes mentioned above do not make the size I need.

On most of the comparison sites that I looked at the Michelins were rated #1. Some of the other makes mentioned above do not make the size I need.

According to the latest CR test, in the H-rated versions, the Premier does better in:
- wet braking
- snow traction
- noise
- ice braking
- treadwear (85k versus 60k, based on their test results)

The differences are not significant (they were one notch below, 3 vs 4/5), but I suppose it all adds up.

The CS5's are not an option in that size. I already looked for my car. If I recall the CS3 is the only option from Cooper. I think the RT43 will be my choice and then the Premier second. Tire's in this size are all relatively inexpensive.

I would get the Michelins unless the $140 absolutely breaks the bank. I don't think you could go wrong with Michelin.

Check for rebates. I think there might be a Michelin rebate going on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back