Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roads here are rather spotty as well. That is why i went with OEM Audi wheels in hopes that they hold up longer. If they do break they are cheap in the used market.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Cracking aside, why is the outer edge worn out so much more than the rest? Do you have an alignment problem?
Probably (DID have an alignment problem, not do). These pictures were taken the day I changed the tie rods. I got an alignment and new tires mounted the next day. That was a year ago. The new tires have been wearing fine.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Cracking aside, why is the outer edge worn out so much more than the rest? Do you have an alignment problem?
Probably (DID have an alignment problem, not do). These pictures were taken the day I changed the tie rods. I got an alignment and new tires mounted the next day. That was a year ago. The new tires have been wearing fine.

I think you'd have a better case if you didn't have an alignment problem. Hard to say if the cracking was due to a design defect or due to the alignment. The edge is the one that gets the most abuse.

LOL, cracking side of Michelins worn out much more then rest of tire, and you complain?

The tires weren't worn THAT unevenly. The pictures make it look worse than it was. The rest of the tire was down to the wear bars and the rear tires were worn evenly and down to the wear bars.

Also, that's not a Pilot Sport. It looks like a Pilot Exalto A/S.

What vehicle was this on?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Ya, this.

Looks like a serious alignment problem that was overheating the outer tread and sidewall.

Last edited:

Ah yes, you're right. These were Pilot Sport Exaltos. These were on my 92 Accord.

Ah yes, you're right. These were Pilot Sport Exaltos. These were on my 92 Accord.

Pilot Exalto, not Pilot Sport Exalto, they are not a member of the Sport family.

I'm not like most Michelin buyers; i won't expect these to last 99,000 miles. If i get good performance for 40k i will be happy. If they ever blow out or let me down on the road somehow i will be dissapointed. 40k miles for me is like forever since i split miles between a few cars and winter tires.

I have found the 215 45 18 to have some road noise. The golf is a lot quieter than the 240 so it is easy to notice any noise at all. I can't really expect no noise in a tire this aggressive. A lot less noise than the Geforce Sports.

I've been on the Pilot Super Sport and getting ~30k miles out of a set with rotation. Expecting a tad more out of the Pilot Sport 4S per Michelin's claims.

I've definitely had tires that lasted more than 30k miles. I've never had a tire that was USABLE for more than 30k miles. They always gained too much NVH, lost too much grip, or both. The Pilot Super Sport, on the other hand, was just fine down to the wear bars. Friends of mine have worn that tire down to the cords (don't ask) and it's been fine.

That's why I really don't get why people get so laser-focused on how many miles it takes to get down to the wear bars. I mean, I get it, but... I don't. You're basically asking for a tire that's hard as a rock and has tread blocks like skyscrapers. It's going to suck, and it's going to lose a lot of performance and gain a lot of NVH as it wears. You're better off looking for a tire that retains as much of its performance as possible for as long as possible. Those tires always net more usable miles than the ones that are all about treadwear.

Hoping for 30k miles out of my set of PSS's. Truly amazing tire, even better if your car can actually use them as intended. But these tires are completely unique in the way they keep their performance as they wear down.

We buy a lot of Michelin tires here, we do not have problems with cracking sidewalls, but we put a lot of miles on them pretty quickly.

The Pilot Sport AS3 on my Mercedes have been good.

Great grip, wet or dry. Suck less in snow than summer tires, but they're not good in snow, not even fair, they just suck less...

They've worn pretty quickly. Doubt I'll even get 30K out of them. More likely to get 25K. But I reckon that it's my fault. They're on a 500+ HP big sedan that gets cornered hard (when I can) and has the power to spin them (with traction control off) easily.

They're noisy now. The result of feathering wear - the alignment is good, and I suspect the hard cornering (which I really can't resist- it's remarkably capable with Active Body Control that keeps it flat at ludicrous speed) is at fault. So, again, that's my fault.

I plan to buy 4 tires this fall (after I've paid college tuition for my son, and we've paid for my step-daughter's wedding). I think I will get the AS3+ this time.

They really do perform remarkably well for an all season tire.

Astro, your Merc runs a staggered setup, right? Which axle is the wear you described on?

Astro, your Merc runs a staggered setup, right? Which axle is the wear you described on?

Staggered is an option on the W220 (and S600 in particular) both as part of an AMG package or stand alone.

However, mine has 18x8 wheels with 235/45R18 tires, which allow rotation.

I've considered going to a staggered set up as the 245 tires really don't have the grip for a full power launch, and I really love the look of the double spoke AMG wheels, but I don't want the loss of tire life...so I think I'm going to stick with this size.

I believe that the front tires are the culprits for the feathered wear. It's just on the outer blocks. And I rotate every 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Staggered is an option on the W220 (and S600 in particular) both as part of an AMG package or stand alone.

However, mine has 18x8 wheels with 235/45R18 tires, which allow rotation.

I've considered going to a staggered set up as the 245 tires really don't have the grip for a full power launch, and I really love the look of the double spoke AMG wheels, but I don't want the loss of tire life...so I think I'm going to stick with this size.

I believe that the front tires are the culprits for the feathered wear. It's just on the outer blocks. And I rotate every 5,000 miles.

That seems like a lot of power to be pushing through only a 235. I had A/S3 on my 1er and they did not handle the power very well and wore out quite quick. Switching to a wider MPSS and they are lasting much longer for me.

Yeah, my understanding is that wheelspin and sliding have a much worse effect on the A/S 3 than on the PSS. So, if you like to hoon, the PSS will last longer even though the reverse is true with normal driving.

Yeah, my understanding is that wheelspin and sliding have a much worse effect on the A/S 3 than on the PSS. So, if you like to hoon, the PSS will last longer even though the reverse is true with normal driving.

Maybe why my rear A/S3 only lasted one summer.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back