Michelin Hydroedge Treadlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just turned 45,000 miles on the set of Michelin Hydroedge tires on my Saturn.

I have rotated them six or seven times and balanced a few times over those 45,000 miles.

I still have 6/32" left on all four tires. This is with mostly city driving as well.

If you are looking for a super long-lasting tire, look no further than the Hydroedges. Of course, grip be [censored]-- these are very low-grip tires IMO. These tires have a firmer sidewall and acceptable dry grip, but in wet they are mediocre at best.

Does anyone else own a set of Hydroedges? How are they holding up for you?

Isn't the hydroedge supposed to be be a wet weather tire? I dont get why you have issues... Perhaps it is the oily film on the CA roads due to infrequent rain.

My mother has had them on her 97 plymouth breeze in the 195/70r-14 size for many years now, Im thinking since 2004 or so, perhaps earlier than that. I would guess she has around 60k on them (saying that because she has somewhere around 120k, maybe more at this point), and has rotated them just a few times. The tread is still 5-6/32" (depending upon front or rear, as I measured at Christmas), and they do well in inclement weather including snow.

I will disagree, my hydroedge are great in the rain. Its not as if I am autocrossing the car, its a commuter. Critic you are using them in the best possible enviroment. I recently removed my hydroedge tires due to a constant hum on the highway. It sounded like a wheel bearing was going bad. Unfortunately my commuter is used almost exclusively on the highway. By this friday I will have driven in excess of 2k miles in 2 weeks.

I replaced mine at 55,000 miles. They started Hydroplaning and snow traction just was not good enough. So far, I am very pleased with my Cooper CS4's. The HydroEdge were great in the in rain and also hugged a curve great until mine wore out. Snow traction was not as good as the CS4's.

My son just had a set of Hydroedge green X installed on his '08 Civic.
Mileage is said to be 90K.Will never get to that number.
Just took a set of GY Triple Treads off with 40K.Still tread left but traction loss and more noise.
Get to about half the tread life and tires lose a lot.

6000 miles on mine. Still look new.

I thought the snow traction was very good, and there is no comparison to the previous Kumho KR21 in wet (Michelin = 100% better).

I've seen people say the same thing about the Tripletreds, which is odd because they are the best tire I have ever driven in wet weather. Heck, in all conditions, but they are unbeatable on wet roads.... But your Hydro edge will probably outlast my TT by quite a lot. But my TT are rated for better snow traction than the HE too... I am trying to convince my parents to get a set of either for the Mustang.

I was a little concerned about the snow traction when I got them (I was originally going to get Harmonys but the place was out and they matched the price I was quoted with the Hydroedges) but I had no issues at all. Overall I liked them better than the snow tires I had before, but I think that's because my driving was mostly highway then, and snow tires aren't the best for that.

I can't imagine going wrong with either the HE or the TT, honestly.

Unfortunately for me, I'm positive my car will drive to it's grave on these tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
....Does anyone else own a set of Hydroedges? How are they holding up for you?

I put a set on my wife's 2002 Camry.

Wore great.

Noisy as all get out. Sounded like snow tires.

Put Goodyear Assurance TripleTred on the front and moved the Hydroedges to the back.

Noise gone, works great.

The best tire period!!! I have them on all my cars and will never buy another tire again. As far as snow, I was driving in 12 inches of snow in a camry, while large truck were stranded on the road. No issues with snow. The best!!!

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
fwiw, a c0nsumer mag picked HydroEdge as their #1 tire.

TR also has them as #1 in their catigory.

FWIW, I loved the HEs on my 2003.5 V-6 Camry. I hated them so badly on my Prius that I sent 'em back under the Michelin 30 day take-back wty. While they're great tires overall, they demand caution with the hybrids. When you're in "stealth" mode (electric only) mode, especially in the light Prius, you can hear very well the droning wawawawawawawawawawawa noise pattern that the unique tread generates.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just turned 45,000 miles on the set of Michelin Hydroedge tires on my Saturn.

I have rotated them six or seven times and balanced a few times over those 45,000 miles.

I still have 6/32" left on all four tires. This is with mostly city driving as well.

If you are looking for a super long-lasting tire, look no further than the Hydroedges. Of course, grip be [censored]-- these are very low-grip tires IMO. These tires have a firmer sidewall and acceptable dry grip, but in wet they are mediocre at best.

Does anyone else own a set of Hydroedges? How are they holding up for you?

I got the HE tires last year. Can't complain though if, you do not follow guidelines such as balancing, tire pressure, rotation,etc. The tires will not behave like they should. Environmental issues also like, grease, oil,snow, steel plate on the road, rubber over railroad tracks, etc will cause sliding, skidding, etc in wet conditions also. I don't see these wearing out in the near future. Mine have a treadwear rating of 800. I haven't had tires rated over 650 ever.

Does it concern anyone in a bad way that some of these tires are rated for 90,000 miles? It sounds good on paper because it may mean less down time to change tires and lower operating costs, even if the tires cost more initially, but the age of these tires when do wear out is what concerns me.

For someone like me who drives something like 7000-8000 miles per year, these tires will be more than 10 years old when they do wear out. This could result in a catastrophic failure.

Originally Posted By: ekincam
Does it concern anyone in a bad way that some of these tires are rated for 90,000 miles? It sounds good on paper because it may mean less down time to change tires and lower operating costs, even if the tires cost more initially, but the age of these tires when do wear out is what concerns me.

For someone like me who drives something like 7000-8000 miles per year, these tires will be more than 10 years old when they do wear out. This could result in a catastrophic failure.

So 90,000 mile tires may not be for you. As a smart shopper, you'll want to maximize the use of your tires depending on your driving needs. A 40-50,000 mile tire would do just fine for you.

On the other hand, even these 90,000 mile tires perform very well objectively. So if you like the tire, tossing them out after 8 years instead of 10 years, in terms of money and value, may not be that significant if it delivered good service throughout those 8 years.

Given that many people cannot even keep their tires inflate, how many know that the tire can wear out due to age and not just tread wear.

There is one thread here where a customer brought the OP a tire from the 1980s to install on his vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back