Michelin Defender vs FS Destination LE3...are the Michelins really worth the extra cheese?

My parent’s Lexus RX got a fatal nail on one of their tires. Since my dad’s driving for Uber, I was debating Yokohama instead of Michelin - I don’t use Chinese tires(which would make sense for Uber drivers). But after a chat with @The Critic and getting America’s Tire to match a Costco promo, there’s a set of Defender LTXs on it now.

Lexus called for a V-rated tire, for a SUV that is limited to 112mph, it doesn’t make sense. The stock Bridgestone Ecopias were V-rated but skittish(I wouldn’t install these on even a Prius or a Fit). The new Michelins firmed up the RX’s composure. 70K treadwear expectation, hopefully they hold up to Uber and the occasional Tahoe trip.View attachment 85665
BS Ecopias are literal trash. I wouldn't take them if given for free. They'd be on FB marketplace within 5 mins.

I used to go through tires on my Suburban like changing underwear. My tire guy suggested the then new Defenders. I went with em and immediately noticed the truck felt better, was quieter and steered nicer. I got 90,000 miles out of that first set. Last May I got new ones.
My dad and my brother run them on their Tahoes also. We all like em.
Just had Defenders put on the Odyssey yesterday. Our CR-V also has them on it. :cool:
:cool::cool:

I have Michelin's LTX M/S2 on my first gen Honda pilot. I believe it's the predecessor to the Defender LTX.

A couple things I noticed:
1- Almost instant cracking on the side walls of the tire. All of them. I've been told not to worry about it. But I worry about it.
2-Road noise is noticeable. Not horrible, but I wish it were less.
3-After 20K miles, they still look new in terms of tread wear. They are rated for 70k, and seem like they will go that long, or longer.

I worry as well.

My Michelin Primacies were severely weather checked in 3 years, so much so that the rep credited me a bunch of dough.
The lexus guys were all surprised as well, with a small group of service writers gathered around my rig to check them out.

Having had Michelins on my vehicles, I'd say that their higher end tires are among the best in their categories (the Pilot Sport A/S 3 was amazing), but I'm not sure if they really have that much of an advantage in more mundane applications for typical family sedans and light trucks.

BS Ecopias are literal trash. I wouldn't take them if given for free. They'd be on FB marketplace within 5 mins.
I would only recommend them to my enemies - yes, I also don’t wish Chinese tires on anyone but Ecopias are junk. Even on their target vehicle fitments(Prius, Fit, BMW i3, Camry/RAV4 Hybrid/HiHy) they can be dangerous. They do ride smooth - and that’s just about it.

Just had Defenders put on the Odyssey yesterday. Our CR-V also has them on it. :cool:
:cool::cool:
So far, the parents tell me these tires aren’t as smooth as the stock Ecopias - but I also told them it’s a “truck” tire - and this one is known to last a long time.

In hindsight, this was more of a CrossClimate2 or Primacy Tour A/S candidate but both were OOS.

I would only recommend them to my enemies - yes, I also don’t wish Chinese tires on anyone but Ecopias are junk. Even on their target vehicle fitments(Prius, Fit, BMW i3, Camry/RAV4 Hybrid/HiHy) they can be dangerous. They do ride smooth - and that’s just about it.
They came stock on our CR-V and just terrible. Already at the wear indicators at 24k when I had them replaced with the Defenders. Disgusting.

Follow up. Are Michelins worth the extra cheese? Yes, I have concluded that they are. At least, the Michelin Defenders are. The Michelins have turned out to be the best riding and best noise handling tire of the three that I have experienced on this truck. Did they turn the Maverick into an Expedition Limited? No, of course not. But they are better than the Falkens that came on it or the Firestones that I had installed for 600 miles. This is not a knock against the Falkens or Firestones. Both are excellent tires in their own right. But if you want the absolute best, pay up for the Michelins.

For those interested in my thoughts on this truck and a picture of it filthy from the snow, look here.

Last edited:
Also, just saw the comments on the BS Ecopias. I think these are what came stock on my wife's 19 Highlander. They are pretty quiet and smooth but with 14K miles on it, the fronts are well below half tread. I will likely rotate them and then replace with Michelins before next winter if it makes it that long.

Also, just saw the comments on the BS Ecopias. I think these are what came stock on my wife's 19 Highlander. They are pretty quiet and smooth but with 14K miles on it, the fronts are well below half tread. I will likely rotate them and then replace with Michelins before next winter if it makes it that long.
Going to Defenders on the CR-V from the Etrashcopias cut noise down more than half. :eek:

Thanks for the input everyone. I already have an appointment to have the Firestones installed and I believe I’ll just stick with it and give them a shot. The only real complaint I’ve read about the Michelins is noise and that’s a big factor for me. The biggest complaint I’ve heard regarding the Firestones is reduced wet traction as they wear but hopefully the deeper siping will remedy that.

I’ll try to update with my thoughts on them.

Also, for those couple that asked for it, I’ll make a separate post regarding my impressions of the Maverick. Long story short, I love it.
Best of luck. I have the LE3s on my 2019 Ridgeline - so far so good at almost 30k miles.

Last month replaced another model of Michelins with Defenders on our Lexus GX460 - seem very quiet to me.

Back