Michelin CrossClimate 2 initial impression

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.
I drive a big 2014 Chrysler 300 5.7L AWD as my DD, so want some decent steering feedback as the cars are a bit plush as is, hmm...

What tire size are you currently running? You might have some leeway in considering a tire with a narrower sidewall. There's usually a sweet spot between steering response and cushy ride. For me, it can range from 45 to 55 aspect ratio depending on the car and tire.

I'm running stock size 235/55-19 right now. Was thinking of going 255/50-19 (this comes in CC.SUV) or 245/55-19 (comes in CC.2) though as the car is traction limited and could definitely use a wider tire.

The lack of a center tread going parallel with the circumference of the tire will negatively impact steering responsiveness. Interesting design but I see it as a compromise that favors poor weather (rain/snow) traction over ride comfort, treadwear and directional stability.

Yet the tests say the tyre is very responsive See the tirerack video on the crossclimate plus. Almost sports tyre like, is what they said IIRC. So if there's a true impact, it's negligible in this case.

What I found from using them is they are very insensitive to tramlining, that's always good.

I ordered a set of CrossClimate2's today. Will be here next week though I'm not installing them for another month or so...
Thanks for the info everyone. :)

I'm running stock size 235/55-19 right now. Was thinking of going 255/50-19 (this comes in CC.SUV) or 245/55-19 (comes in CC.2) though as the car is traction limited and could definitely use a wider tire.
If your looking for more snow traction wider is not the way to go.

Yet the tests say the tyre is very responsive See the tirerack video on the crossclimate plus. Almost sports tyre like, is what they said IIRC. So if there's a true impact, it's negligible in this case.

What I found from using them is they are very insensitive to tramlining, that's always good.

Let me quote @IcarusLSC reply from Michelin:

The new Michelin CrossClimate 2 tire is rated a B for traction, which gives in better wear with the limited tread warranty of 60,000 miles. Also, keep in mind, the UTQG rating is used by tire manufacturer's to rate their tires. This is not to say that the A traction would be better. The new CrossClimate 2 tire has a different compound in the tread the provides improved wet and dry braking, including snow performance over the old Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires. The actual compound in the tread is where you get the better performance in wet and dry.

The new CC2 has a different compound than CC+, I would not use CC+'s review for CC2.

Here is the latest review updated with videos for reference: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

I haven't driven the CC+, but CC2 is certainly not close to sports tires.

I ordered a set of CrossClimate2's today. Will be here next week though I'm not installing them for another month or so...
I would use wider tires as well! The tires for my Accord change from 205/60R16 to 225/50R17. I would use 245/45R17 if CC2 comes with this size...
Please let us know how's the tires after the installation. 👍

Michelin North America Inc. says its newest tire delivers year-round performance and safety so consumers no longer have to give up one aspect to focus on another.

Michelin says the CrossClimate2 delivers them all – wet stopping, longevity, dry grip and snow performance. Michelin has already called the CrossClimate 2 its most advanced tire in decades.

“We designed this tire to deliver safety and performance in every stop, every turn, and throughout every season,” says Michelin Brand Director Matthew Cabe. “Parents, caretakers and all conscientious drivers understand the responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others when they drive. They don’t want to feel powerless. This tire gives them confidence and control in any weather, during any season.”

The CrossClimate2 has a distinct V-formation tread pattern and a proprietary rubber compound to provide performance in all seasons and climates. Michelin says the tire redefines “the all-season category.”

Michelin focused on four attributes with the CrossClimate 2:

Wet performance – Engineers were tasked with developing a tire that “grips to the last stop.” Michelin says internal tests showed the tire, even when worn, stopped up to 50 feet shorter in wet conditions when stopping from 50 mph.

Tire wear - Tread wear tests showed the CrossClimate 2 provided up to 15,000 more miles than its competitors.

Dry grip - Internal testing showed the new Michelin tire stopped up to 16 feet shorter on dry pavement than four competing tires.

Snow performance - The CrossClimate 2 tire has the 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, and Michelin says third-party testing showed the tire provided 31% better snow traction when worn than four worn all-season tires.

Michelin says it used Piano Noise Reduction Tuning to eliminate road noise from the tire’s tread blocks and angles and create “ideal amplitude for the contact patch,” creating a quieter ride.

The tire replaces the CrossClimate+, CrossClimate SUV, Premier A/S and Premier LTX tire lines.

I would use wider tires as well! The tires for my Accord change from 205/60R16 to 225/50R17. I would use 245/45R17 if CC2 comes with this size...
Please let us know how's the tires after the installation. 👍
Stock size is 235/55R19, and I ordered 245/55R19, The 255/50R19 I wanted were only available on the CC SUV, not the CC2 so I went with the 245 CC2s. I won't be installing them till the weather gets colder/worse so I can use up the last of the tires I have. Not much wider, but every bit helps I guess...

I wrote about the different compound info from the email I got in the other post here. They didn't offer a lot of info but a little, most of which I could already find/read on their website...

Last edited:
- Have you put on the CC2s yet?
Any negatives around road noise and ride comfort?

I think I'm going to order a set of Michelin CrossClimate 2's even though they reduced the traction rating from the CC+ model.
Its them or Nordman WR SUV or Solstice SUV (which I've heard nothing on!) tires.

Hmm, need to decide by the 15th for the $100 Michelin rebate they have going right now...
Nordman Solstice SUV is likely the old WR G3 SUV under the Nordman value brand

- Have you put on the CC2s yet?
Any negatives around road noise and ride comfort?
No, they are still sitting in my rec room. I was going to put them on last week but had a death in the family that has delayed a few things. Hopefully this or next week sometime...

They are different tires, totally different tread pattern.
WR G3 SUV under the value Nordman brand

ace49dec2f8247aba4b72e4c7b4b5080

Solstice does look like the middle picture from all the pics I've seen (not seen one in person yet.) All the G3 SUV's I've ever seen though are like the right one though...

I had the CC2s put on today and drove around for about 20min on both in town + some construction and highway. So far so good for the little driving I did! They are quieter then my old MXM4's and in the rough construction roads make more of a thumping bump noise then the rubber pinging the old had. On the construction grooved and normal smooth asphalt they were very quiet though, with only a bit of growl (they are new still too mind you.) They balanced up extremely well and track good with no more wander or pull then the old ones on the highway for the 7 minutes I was on it, lol. Turning is decent, bit firmer then before, though I could see over-driving them due to the tread design and getting into understeer easier if not more careful as they grip good but don't give quite enough feedback like Kitto mentioned. I still haven't seen the rain/wet or other crap yet so will have to talk about that later, but like them so far...

all traction B means is they didnt do as well on the old trailer braking test that has a locked up wheel
that test is pretty obsolete?

Back