Michelin CrossClimate 2 initial impression

They are installed on my 2003 Honda Accord. The size is 225/50R17 V speed rating.

There's the same trend growl described by tire rack about the CrossClimate SUV.

I am in Chicago. Hopefully it will perform well in snow.

CC1.jpg
CC2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they downgraded the traction rating to B for the CrossClimate2 :(
I was looking at these, but not totally sold on them anymore, not sure what to get... Let us know how they work for you please... I hear the noise quiets a lil as they wear thankfully.

Last edited:
Looks like they downgraded the traction rating to B for the CrossClimate2 :(
I was looking at these, but not totally sold on them anymore, not sure what to get... Let us know how they work for you please... I hear the noise quiets a lil as they wear thankfully.

I was debating the same question myself.
I went with the new one as the old one will fade out anyway.
Choosing the new one guarantee fresh tires, and increase warranty of 10,000 or 20,000 miles depending on the speed rating.
A snowstorm can tell how good they are, but hopefully not happening. 😅

Such an interesting tread design. Can somebody enlighten me as to why the treads is that pattern? I understand reasoning behind tread pattern between A/S, Summer, winter, etc but this is definitely a new design to me.

I just pu a set of these on my 2016 Honda Accord yesterday, Costco sale. I live in a 120”+ annual snowfall region and debated the same thing. The original Crossclimate+ were only rated for 40000 miles, I believe and these tires are not cheap! Since you can’t change out tires like a pair of socks in the morning depending on the weather, which can change from sun to lake effect snow a mile down the road!!!...it’s all about compromise.

some manufacturers are trying to upgrade all season BUT winter tyres for those that actually get snow + of course profits!! thread design aside the rubber compounds matter a lot + todays tyre technology continues to evolve especially with the big name $$$$ premium brands.

Such an interesting tread design. Can somebody enlighten me as to why the treads is that pattern? I understand reasoning behind tread pattern between A/S, Summer, winter, etc but this is definitely a new design to me.

Since the crossclimate came with this design, other manufacturers have gone similar for 4 season or winter tyres. Continental Allseasoncontact, Bridgestone A005, Hankook Kinergy 4S to name 3... Especially the continental is very close in design

It works for farm machinery and construction equipment

Nokian_TR_Forest_Multiplus.png

Think of it as an evolution of their old hydroedge tread pattern
michelin_hydroedge_lg_super.jpg

Last edited:
There used to be some great wet weather tires with that V design. Glad to see some getting back to it even though they can wear weird and are directional.

The lack of a center tread going parallel with the circumference of the tire will negatively impact steering responsiveness. Interesting design but I see it as a compromise that favors poor weather (rain/snow) traction over ride comfort, treadwear and directional stability.

The lack of a center tread going parallel with the circumference of the tire will negatively impact steering responsiveness. Interesting design but I see it as a compromise that favors poor weather (rain/snow) traction over ride comfort, treadwear and directional stability.

Companies have made tires with no center tread before. The Dunlop SP Sport 9000, a max performance summer tire from the 90s. Continental made a performance all-season with no center tread around the same time

sp_sport_9000.jpg

Continental-ContiExtremeContact.jpg

I can confirm the negative impact to the steering responsiveness of CrossClimate 2, either from the lack of center tread or other factors.

Update after 100+ miles.

Let me quote tire rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=261

"Handling from the CrossClimate² was once again fitting for a touring tire, but could benefit from an increase in steering resistance. The on-center feel was a little light for our team, and combined with quick steering response that made directional changes seem possible with little effort."

"However, the quick front end response had the tendency to encourage cornering speeds it wasn't equipped to handle, and were met with significant understeer."

I can confirm what tire rack said. The best I can describe is I can not feel what the tires are doing during cornering. The tires grip but I can't tell from the steering wheel. I wish the tires can give me more feedback.

Companies have made tires with no center tread before. The Dunlop SP Sport 9000, a max performance summer tire from the 90s. Continental made a performance all-season with no center tread around the same time
Both of the tires have no center groove, but they have two grooves, one each at the quarter position (I hope I describe that right).
The two grooves might help with the steering responsiveness, just a guess. However, the Cross Climate 2 has no groove at all.

What's the tread depth on those new tires Kitto? I read these only have 9/32 new, is this right or is that only the CrossClimate SUVs?
This and the B traction rating are making it hard to decide on a set of these, but I don't know what else to choose (maybe some Nokian WRG4s or WRs or Solstice?)

What's the tread depth on those new tires Kitto? I read these only have 9/32 new, is this right or is that only the CrossClimate SUVs?
This and the B traction rating are making it hard to decide on a set of these, but I don't know what else to choose (maybe some Nokian WRG4s or WRs or Solstice?)
The tread depth is 10/32 according to Michelin.

According to tire rack, the dry track performance is on par with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and displayed a clear advantage in dry objective testing. I wouldn't worry about the B traction rating.

I would be more concern if you like the steering feel or not.

Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me.
I drive a big 2014 Chrysler 300 5.7L AWD as my DD, so want some decent steering feedback as the cars are a bit plush as is, hmm...

I'm not saying they don't exist, nor that they're inherently bad for some reason. The SP Sport 9000 does have a continuous center rib, it just fans off into independent tread blocks. First set of new tires I ever bought were ContiExtremeContacts (your second tire pictured) and really liked them, I lived in CO at the time and they were excellent in snow. I wish they still made them.

But there's no denying that a continuous center rib does help with higher speed directional stability (most tires with this feature will advertise it as such), and that that attribute will be compromised if you omit the center rib completely. Every tread design is a compromise of sorts, I don't consider one worse versus another.

I think I'm going to order a set of Michelin CrossClimate 2's even though they reduced the traction rating from the CC+ model.
Its them or Nordman WR SUV or Solstice SUV (which I've heard nothing on!) tires.

Hmm, need to decide by the 15th for the $100 Michelin rebate they have going right now...

Back