Michelin CrossClimate 2 initial impression

Just put a set on my sons 2015 equinox. So far so good. Rides nice, not loud either. Can't wait to try them in snow!

I had the CC2s put on today and drove around for about 20min on both in town + some construction and highway. So far so good for the little driving I did! They are quieter then my old MXM4's and in the rough construction roads make more of a thumping bump noise then the rubber pinging the old had. On the construction grooved and normal smooth asphalt they were very quiet though, with only a bit of growl (they are new still too mind you.) They balanced up extremely well and track good with no more wander or pull then the old ones on the highway for the 7 minutes I was on it, lol. Turning is decent, bit firmer then before, though I could see over-driving them due to the tread design and getting into understeer easier if not more careful as they grip good but don't give quite enough feedback like Kitto mentioned. I still haven't seen the rain/wet or other crap yet so will have to talk about that later, but like them so far...
@IcarusLSC - So it’s been a week now. What’s your experience...now that you would’ve driven a bit more on these.
How’s the road noise and ride comfort in particular?
Is the over-drive and understeer issue during cornering concerning?
I have an appointment for tire installation this Friday...so looking for some additional feedback before making a final decision.
Thanks!

I've only driven the car once since, been a quiet week, and that was on the highway for 20min each way. Road noise seems good, bit of a low growl to them, but nothing bad or obnoxious, quiet overall. Nice and smooth and tracks well so far.
For the over-drive/understeer I don't think it'd be an issue unless your driving like a putz on the street, lol ;) I don't know how it will affect it in the bad weather yet, but if you drive reasonably/sanely, then I don't think it'll matter even in an emergency maneuver. I drive a bigger car (2014 Chrysler 300) so on a smaller car it would probably be a bit more responsive/quick for sure ...
They pick up stones worse then my old ones for sure.
Sorry not much to add otherwise...

Last edited:
I was out in the 1" of very wet slush we got today for a little bit. Surprisingly steady in this, where my old MMX4's pulled either way much more in the slushy ruts. I tried a few hard stops on the slushy on/off-ramps and it seemed steady, straight and didn't slide at all. I could get the traction control to kick on if I wanted but this car is about 360+hp/395lb-ft. In AWD engaged it was fine starting and stopping in the slush, no surprises but it wasn't bad out. Temps were right at the freezing mark...

^ My old ones were MXM4's not what I posted, sry...

Here is a couple close ups of the tread to add to Kitto's pics at the start:

20200914_170628.jpg

20200914_171048.jpg

Just some info from the UK regarding Michelin Cross Climates.

They are fitted to all Addison Lee vehicles, tbe largest fleet of Private Hire vehicles in the UK, rougly 3000 cars pre Covid, Mercedes E Class, Prius, Ford Galaxy and VW Sharan.

They are also fitted to a large number of NHS Ambulance Service Rapid Response Cars.

I would have seriously considered them for my S Class but they don't come in the size my car takes.

My daughters Q2 has Michelins fittes as standard, when it needs tyres I will be fitting Cross Climates.

I just came across this thread in my search for replacing the tires on my 2015 Sienna mini-van. Tire Rack lists these Cross Climate 2's as being compatible on the Sienna, but I can't find any opinions on how well they will run. Anybody have experience with these on a mini-van?

I've been liking my CC2s's so far. We got next to no snow this year though and due to covid I wasn't out in it anyways much at all. :( They are better so far then any all-season I've used in the past or the AS's that were on this car before. Not a ton better, still need to be mindful of stopping in the ice and slick stuff, esp. with a heavy car like mine. They are noticibly better starting and stopping in the wet and stopping in the dry is excellent. I liked them better then the AS's too in the slush we seem to get a lot of (a few posts up)...

The same here as far as snow, I just didn't go anywhere this winter so I didn't have to deal with snow. For years I have faithfully changed over to snows each winter and back in the spring. Now I realize that I hardly ever drive in the snow, I'm in southern Michigan, and my snows don't get any real action. I'm looking at these so that I can forget about the change over routine every year. Plus I like what I've read about the CC2's regarding their wet and dry pavement qualities. I just want to make sure that they will be a good match for my Sienna.

The tread depth is 10/32 according to Michelin.

According to tire rack, the dry track performance is on par with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and displayed a clear advantage in dry objective testing. I wouldn't worry about the B traction rating.

I would be more concern if you like the steering feel or not.

When I first put on the original CC, I found the car to be very floaty, but this gradually improved over the next few hundred miles. Steering feel gets better as they wear down. In my opinion, they had just a bit too much thread depth from the factory.

When I first put on the original CC, I found the car to be very floaty, but this gradually improved over the next few hundred miles. Steering feel gets better as they wear down. In my opinion, they had just a bit too much thread depth from the factory.

I didn't find that with my CC2's, but I'm driving a big car (2014 300) so perhaps its harder to tell. They already have less tread than many competitors so I wouldn't want any less anyways imho...

I just put a set on a 2013 Chrysler town and country. Very happy. They are quiet and smooth I would recommend them. Michelin has a rebate until April 5 on CC2’s.

Attachments

• 5D3D8592-6A15-41A7-8F50-4FA50BA1B514.jpeg
    5D3D8592-6A15-41A7-8F50-4FA50BA1B514.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 0A5D46A6-F22B-42B5-AB9E-B82B4C7D1E5E.jpeg
    0A5D46A6-F22B-42B5-AB9E-B82B4C7D1E5E.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 60
I just put a set on a 2013 Chrysler town and country. Very happy. They are quiet and smooth I would recommend them. Michelin has a rebate until April 5 on CC2’s.
Oh yah I forgot to add to my post on how quiet they are. Very nice on the road. Some heavy construction stuff makes them louder but all around very quiet... :)

Reactions: Ws6
This is encouraging to hear, I have decided to go ahead and get these. Trying to decide if I should get them now, before the current Michelin rebate expires, or wait until Costco has a special which would probably be a bigger savings.

I've been liking my CC2s's so far. We got next to no snow this year though and due to covid I wasn't out in it anyways much at all. :( They are better so far then any all-season I've used in the past or the AS's that were on this car before. Not a ton better, still need to be mindful of stopping in the ice and slick stuff, esp. with a heavy car like mine. They are noticibly better starting and stopping in the wet and stopping in the dry is excellent. I liked them better then the AS's too in the slush we seem to get a lot of (a few posts up)...
Keep us posted on how long they last. I went with LX25's again this time because I am leery of how long this winter compound tire will last.

Back