Michelin A/S3+ or Conti DWS06

interesting that you mention the Pilot Sport MXM4 (unless you were talking about the newer Primacy MXM4s) as that is the tire I replaced with the A/S 3+ on the CTS4 Sport Wagon...I hated the MXM4...wet traction was poor and Winter traction was as well...dry traction went up significantly IMO with the addition of the A/S 3+ as did wet and Winter traction...

good luck with your choice...

Bill

Last edited:
I will add that the Conti DWS-06s should be a softer ride than the Michelin A/S 3+ and I can't speak for the Goodyears or any other choice...

Bill

No experience with the A/S3, but I've loved the DWS06 on all of the cars I've had them on. I recomend them to everyone that wants a sporty tire that needs to handle rain with the possibilty of snow. Even on my 15' Mustang, which should never see snow I like the cold weather traction compared to a true performance tire. When they're new you feel a bit of tread wiggle compared to a performance tire, but of course you would (and really only at higher speeds). I have them on the GTI, My '15 Mustang, and some family members sportier cars have them as well. Also had them on my previous Bullitt Mustang. From the experience on that car there was no question I wanted them on my '15 when the stock P-Zeros wore out...which was quick.

I have had both on the front of my Mazda 6. I vote for the DWS tires. Main reason being that I got better traction in the rain with them over the AS3+ tires.

This was not a dramatic difference but noticable.

Having said that, since you have a winter tire set I would go with a dedicated summer tire rather than all seasons.

I have now driven on the Goodyear Exhilarate tires. They are my wifes 2009 Volkswagen GTI. Subjectively they ride A LOT nicer over the potholes and expansion joints than the PS AS3+,Not nearly as jarring. She now has about 500 miles on these tires. Wet grip is as tire rack noted, great. Previously she has had Oem Pirellis, Bridgestone 960as or 970as, (cant remember which) Pilot Sport As3, and Pilot Sport AS3+ twice. To me they are all on the nosy side. The Goodyears are still very new to me. As far as the better wet grip Michelin is supposed to have as tires wear, I very much see that as a double edged sword. Yes the grip in the wet remains, but hydroplaning does not. Gives a false sense of security i.e. you have grip until you hydroplane, which has more to do with tread pattern than compound. My bet is the Goodyears will resist hydroplaning better than the Michelins as the tread wears, neutralizing any wet compound advantage the Michelin may? have had. I wish I had the funds to buy both new and do a 1to1 comparison. Unfortunately my memory recollection is of used AS3+ and new Goodyears so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

^^^ well stated, especially regarding worn vs new. It's great to hear positive feedback on a GY. I want to like GY but usually end up disappointed, though I did have superb results from a set a few years back. In truck A/T world, every used truck/suv I've bought with aged goodyears had really bad wet traction and a lot of road noise. It'd be great to know how yours age on the GTI. Maybe they have a good one here.

Originally Posted by JaySquared
I have had both on the front of my Mazda 6. I vote for the DWS tires. Main reason being that I got better traction in the rain with them over the AS3+ tires.

This was not a dramatic difference but noticable.

Having said that, since you have a winter tire set I would go with a dedicated summer tire rather than all seasons.

Ya, I really want to put the Michelin PS4S on. Perfect combination of performance, ride quality and noise. Just can't justify spending that much on summer tires for my winter car. Would be $500-600 above the tires I am looking at now. I do run the PS4S on my summer 135i.

Last edited:
The Michelins are GREAT i have the A/S +3s they stick like glue and the ride is also great. HIGHLY Recommend.

I have Continental DWS06 on 2 of my 3 series, on my 5 series, on the wifes X6 and will probably be going on my X5m when the time comes. I feel they strike a very nice balance between wet/dry/ light snow ( we're in canada) performance, ride quality, longevity and price .

I have the Michelin A/S 3+ on my Accord and they are meh in the winter. I gotten into some situations with these tires in the snow that I feel other tires would have been better. In the summer they are great.

My mom has DWS06 on her Lincoln MKC and seems to like them. She will probably get 60k before replacing the tires. She does rural driving and in the winter it can be very slick. No complaints from her and she likes them better then the OEM Michelin tires.

I have a set of Goodyear Eagle sport tires on aftermarket wheels for my Accord. I like them a lot and they perform better in winter conditions VS the A/S 3+ tires.

Last edited:
Installed the new Goodyear Exhilarate. Glad I did, exactly what I was looking for. Much quieter and smoother ride than the A/S3+, and much better handling than the DWS06. The handling is not quite as "crisp" as the A/S3+, but the increase in comfort and noise more than makes up for it.

Although today I just noticed the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that are replacing the A/S3+.

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/high-performance-tires/pilot/pilot-sport-all-season-4.html

Too bad on the timing, the new tire may improve on the A/S3+ shortcomings, and may have been a even better choice. Maybe the next set of summer tires for the winter/daily driver.

HIGHLY recommend the Michelins. The best tire I've ever driven on both wet traction wise, dry and hydroplaning resistance.

I have a 17 Mustang GT. It came with Pirelli P zero all season Tires in size 235/50/18. Just a base GT. I am now supercharged making 611 RWHP, and 479 ft lbs at the wheels.
With the stock tires 1st, and 2nd gear were basically useless. The original plan was to get aftermarket wheels that could fit much wider tires, but I couldn't decide what wheels I wanted, and I actually like my stock wheels. I decided to put a good tire on my OEM wheels, and see what happens.

I went with the Michelin AS3+ in 255/45/18. I cannot believe how well they hold the power. They ride, and handle great so far. I have only put 300 or so miles on the car since I got them. They are not noisy at all, but it might be because they are new. The car is not a DD, but I do drive it in the winter. I would have gone with Michelin PS4S if I didn't use it in the winter. The Base GT has a fairly soft suspension so that might be why I feel they ride good, but definitely better than the OEM tires.

Really happy with them so far.

^^^ good comparison. Surprising the p-zeros had that much of a loss in comparative grip. Glad you could stay with a stock size.

Originally Posted by meep
^^^ good comparison. Surprising the p-zeros had that much of a loss in comparative grip. Glad you could stay with a stock size.

The Pzero's were pretty worn when I got the SC but they still never felt as good as the AS3 even when they were new. I went slightly wider with the AS3 at 255 vs the stock 235.

I'll chime in with another vote for the Conti's. I love the DWS line, and the -06 is a great tire. Yes, it's softer than an A/S3 but it will wear better and give you slightly better traction in the slippery stuff. I couldn't imagine using it year round in a place like Minnesota, I have yet to find an A/S tire that I would even remotely consider usable through all 4 seasons here.

As to the GY, I'd pass. I haven't seen GY come out with a decent tire in ages, and my shop is a GY dealer. I've installed a couple sets of the Exhilarate, and wasn't impressed. I suppose the WeatherReady is an OK tire, but for the price you can do better.

Back