Micheal Jordan / Denny Hamlin

I think this is awesome news. Jordan has experience with motorsports ownership so he understands the financial obligations as well as realistic initial performance expectations. Odds are they will be using JGR equipment in a similar arrangement to Furniture Row and Leavine Family Racing.

The only thing that makes me think this wasn't the best timed move is 2021 being a "lame duck" year for the current car. 2022 sees the introduction of the "Gen 7" car which is a complete clean sheet design with very little if anything related to the current Gen 6 car.

Joe Gibbs Racing has so many cars there just going to put some in Babbas fleet probably building just a couple new ones, this is big money gen 6 or 7 cars mean nothing, it will be easy because Gibbs doesn't have to save any cars for 2022, these race cars over the years have become very disposable at this level unlike the old days.

I saw that mentioned on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm an MJ fan and a DH fan, but not a Bubba fan. Is Denny retiring from the driver position to take on an ownership role or will still be in a car? It'll be interesting to see how he does without JGR behind him.

Denny will still be driving for Joe Gibbs Racing for the foreseeable future. I think Denny is looking ahead to when he retires from driving, then he can transition to be a team owner. NASCAR has said that the new team has to satisfy them that it's not just another JGR team. It will be tricky, but they'll work out some facade arrangement.

Bubba has a lot of sponsors, so the financial burden won't be bad. Since the Gen 6 car is lame duck in 2021, they'll be able to get castoffs from other teams for very little money. Since the Gen 6 car is a known quantity, if they get a crewchief that knows the car, they won't have to spend much money developing it. And a first year team will be suffering growing pains anyway, and they aren't promising anybody wins right away. In the meatime, they should have a different crew getting to know the Gen 7 car so they can be competitive right away in 2022.

Michael Jordan was the NBA when I was younger, when throw a paper towel into the trash can if I make it I say MJ in the house, if I miss I still say MJ in the house, my wife says you missed I reply Michael Jackson style😂

Back