Mexican Lasagna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year I end up with a bushel or 2 of green chilies; they're cheaper to buy by.......wait for it...the bushel or 2! I came up with a great recipe to use them. Ingredients: Enough green chilies to line 2 layers of a baking dish. 1 or 2 pounds of ground beef depending on the size of the dish. 1 onion diced 1 red bell pepper diced 1 can of rotel 1 can of diced tomato 1 can black beans 1 packet taco seasoning 2 cans green enchilada sauce with 3 beaten eggs added in 1 bag of Mexican shredded cheese Step 1: Brown the ground beef. Drain the fat. Saute the diced onion and bell pepper in a separate skillet at the same time. If you do it together, you drain out the flavor of the pepper and onion. Step 2: While the above are cooking, line the Pam sprayed casserole dish with a layer of green chilis. Step 3: When the onion/peppers are sauteed, remove from heat. Drain fat from beef. Add both cans of Rotel and tomato; bring to a boil and add taco seasoning and black beans. reduce heat and simmer until most of liquid evaporates uncovered. Step 4: Add half the above mixture on top of the first layer of chilies. Top with a layer of cheese and half the enchilada/egg sauce. Step 5: Add the second layer of green chilies and repeat step 4 with another layer of the ground beef/onion/pepper layer and cheese, and add the remaining half of enchilada/egg sauce. Step 6: Bake at 375 for 20 minutes covered. Step 7: Uncover and bake an additional 20 to 30 minutes uncovered until the cheese on top browns and an moisture evaporates. Serve with tortillas/sour cream/other condiments. Beer is optional but recommended.

Last edited:
Looks great, I'll make it. smile When I was reading the title & looking through the ingredients , I was looking for the Lasagna Noodles, lol. Lasagna without Lasagna Noodles?? wink

Skip the black beans and don't drain the fat. Healthier that way - far less carbs. Nice recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.