Chili

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this subject has been brought up before, but why not again? I am by no means a chili purist, I put in whatever sounds good. Typical ingredients in the chili I make:

ground beef or bison
white onion
garlic
canned fire roasted tomatoes
tomato paste
kidney beans
black beans
red bell pepper
beef broth
dark beer (stout or porter)
ancho chili powder
chipotle chili powder
cayenne chili pepper
crushed red pepper
smoked paprika
cloves (powder)
oregano
basil
salt/black pepper

So, what do you use for ingredients in yours?

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
you left out the mushrooms

Nice call! Never thought about that, we eat a ton of mushrooms in this household, I imagine it would give the chili a nice earthiness.

Originally Posted By: tropic
[censored], that's a complex recipe! Would love to try it.

Not a recipe per say, just a list of some things that may go in at any given time. Sometimes other things get added, sometimes less than that. The only thing I needed to buy at the store was beef, an onion, beans, and a bell pepper. Everything else is just stuff we always have on hand in the pantry.

I've found that using quality chili powders goes a long way in adding that unbeatable flavor. I make mine fairly mild, using the chili powder more for flavoring than heat. I can't stand the nostril hair scorching stuff.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Beans, mushrooms, and chili powder - the trifecta of flatulence in the making.

I already told you in the soup beans thread, I'm immune to the gaseous effects of beans!
wink.gif

Italian food, now that's a different story.

You want me to plug my nostrils with Beano? Let me tell you where you can shove that Beano...
mad.gif
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: MC5W20
you left out the mushrooms

In chili? That's fructing disgusting.
37.gif

I do like Camembert on my chili.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I've also had chilli with celery.
37.gif

The only deviation from a standard chili I add is a little green and red bell pepper.

This is the best chili, hands down, I've ever eaten ("Cooking Light"!): http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1867598
There were a couple substitutions in our version; we used two large poblanos (this is for a double batch) instead of all the green pepper, and instead of the tomatillos we used a jar of medium-heat salsa verde. Also, the tomato sauce was just a plain tomato sauce, and there was only one ham hock in it. It was done in a big dutch oven on the stove with the lid cracked; we probably ended up adding 3 or 4 cups of water to it too when all was said and done. Totally skipped the lime, cilantro, and green onion. I'm not even a huge fan of chili and I love this stuff, it's definitely going into the recipe collection. PS: It will taste like [censored] when you first throw everything together; it really does need the 5 hours.

Originally Posted By: Julian
This is the best chili, hands down, I've ever eaten ("Cooking Light"!): http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1867598
There were a couple substitutions in our version; we used two large poblanos (this is for a double batch) instead of all the green pepper, and instead of the tomatillos we used a jar of medium-heat salsa verde. Also, the tomato sauce was just a plain tomato sauce, and there was only one ham hock in it. It was done in a big dutch oven on the stove with the lid cracked; we probably ended up adding 3 or 4 cups of water to it too when all was said and done. Totally skipped the lime, cilantro, and green onion. I'm not even a huge fan of chili and I love this stuff, it's definitely going into the recipe collection. PS: It will taste like [censored] when you first throw everything together; it really does need the 5 hours.

Looks like a great recipe,gonna make it this weekend...Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

i usually use:
ground deer
ground beef
diced tomatoes
light red kidney beans
dark red kidney beans
chili beans
beef bullion
au jus mix
dried minced onion
dried chipotle peppers