Metal in oil filter. Should I worry?

Found 1 TINY piece of metal in my OEM Toyota filter today. Should I be concerned? It is the small piece of metal on the oil filter box the word “GENUINE”. No other metals, sludge or dirt was found in the filter pleats.

2019 Toyota Tundra, 5.7L V8, automatic transmission with 48,000 miles.

Owned the truck since new. Changed the oil every 5,000 miles with either M1 or Quaker State 20,000 mile synthetic, today I’m at 3,800 miles on this OCI and will be moving all summer, so changed the oil today. Have never went over 5,000 before without an oil change and only use OEM oil filters at each OCI.

IMG_5097.jpeg

No unusual noises?

Edit to add: you’re still under powertrain warranty. I’d pull the filter every 1000 miles and check for more metal - if more found I’d be at the dealership.

Last edited:
That's a fair sized chunk, but given its size that suggests to me it didn't pass for very long through an oil gallery. Had it gone the long and/or wrong way it is my belief it would have been ground up into pieces small enough for you not to notice.

If this is any consolation. Our really nice BMW E90 - I run Dimple magnetic drain plugs. During an oil change 2 or 3 yers ago I noticed the drain plug was covered with 10 to 15 fair sized magnetic chunks. Then, when I examined the oil in the drain pain I found dozens of non-magnetic, bright metal chunks the diameter of a pin head. Aluminum I reckon.

I thought about bailing on the car but my conscience wouldn't let me. Plus I like the car a lot so I tried to put it out of my mind. Now, 2 or 3 years later - and 35K miles later - the engine runs flawlessly. I've inspected the oil filter every change since and have never found anything remotely concerning. Nor has the Dimple drain plug attracted anything out of the ordinary.

I R&R'd the cam cover and gasket last year and made a thorough inspection of the valvetrain. Everything looked perfect.

I feel your pain, but put it out of your mind. It won't be a problem.

Scott

Tossed it already. Where do you think the casting may have come from inside the engine? Should I be concerned if it is casting?
Have to figure, it looks too big to have made it through the oil strainer, which means it came from between the strainer & filter. Sand casting can leave uneven surfaces which could theoretically shed something, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it as long as no unusual noises or drops in oil pressure happen. I would just keep an eye on it if it was mine (easy with a cartridge filter). The 5.7 Toyota has been regarded one of the best engines ever produced, after all!

Have to figure, it looks too big to have made it through the oil strainer, which means it came from between the strainer & filter. Sand casting can leave uneven surfaces which could theoretically shed something, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it as long as no unusual noises or drops in oil pressure happen. I would just keep an eye on it if it was mine (easy with a cartridge filter). The 5.7 Toyota has been regarded one of the best engines ever produced, after all!
Well said.

Appreciate the boost of confidence and rational thought process. Just dumped the used oil at Autozone, now on to my night. Sounds like nothing to worry about.

How’s this vehicle driven? Pushed to high RPM blasts? Not sure if this engine has any roller or Torrington bearings but keep listening for valvetrain noises.

I believe if you like and plan on keeping the vehicle,add a couple of oil analysis at your oil change,keep the same brand of oil filter,keep opening the filter.I like the pro active approach you're doing to take care of your vehicle.A few oil analysis, gives you a start of a program,maybe once a year will help confirm things are good.Good luck, keep us informed

Last edited:
That is exactly the situation that the filter is there for! Few people cut apart filters so they go on blissfully unaware of debris caught.
Sort of. But really, the filter’s main job is to remove particulates at a much smaller level. This is not really what folks see when they cut apart and inspect filters. I think the hope here is that this piece of metal is a missed piece of casting chaff and is by itself. If it’s part of a bigger problem, I suppose we know soon enough. My money is on this not being engine part failure, but it is an eye opener.

80% of miles are the life basics, taking children to and from school. 20% of my miles are hauling lights loads to and from my 5 acre property, weight in bed never exceeds 300 pounds, tow a 1,000 pound trailer 1-2 times per year. This truck see’s light duty and rarely do I get this truck above 4,000 RPM’s, once I hit 40 years old, I started driving slow to enjoy the surroundings. Slow and boring I guess.

Back