Mercury Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
The Marauder versions are pretty mean looking. Saw one of those and I want one of those in my driveway.

The de Sade version will rip a Maurader a new one.

never heard of it///what is that?

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Whether it's a Mercury Grand Marquis, or Ford Crown Victoria- I can only say:
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
34.gif

+1
The Miami and Fort Lauuderdale P.D.uses Grand Marquis for unmarked cars. They are the best cars ever!

BTW the 5w20 Motorcraft will work great in it!

Originally Posted By: Oil_Can_Harry
I got a fully loaded LS with heated seats, 18 spoke optional alloy wheels, and wood + leather steering wheel, and CD/Cassette stereo radio for $28K before taxes, and tags. With taxes and tags I drove off the lot for under $30K. I felt I really got a lot of car for the money.

Nearly $30 grand for a Gramp Marquis....?

crazy2.gif

Local FLM dealer has a loaded 09 Gramp Marquis "Ultimate Edition" with 5,500 (fifty five hundred) miles for $10,000 less, at $18,990.

An offer of $17,000 would probably buy it.

A cassette player? Did I read that correctly???

Wow. That's at least 10 years in the past.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I am sure he meant CD player..My sister has a 07 Grand Marquis LS and thats what she has.

Guys give him a break! He bought one of the best cars on the road brand new [cause thats what he wanted] that can outlast anything out there.

If he bought one a year old Grand Marquis it would have most likely been a rental and we all know how well their treated [overall] due to a post on here not long ago.

Local FLM dealer has a loaded 09 Gramp Marquis "Ultimate Edition" with 5,500 (fifty five hundred) miles for $10,000 less, at $18,990.

An offer of $17,000 would probably buy it.

I'm surprised they don't have 78rpm turntables, considering their clientele.

The 'clientele'? So anybody that buys these cars must be what....over 75? Hardly. My girlfriend and I are in our 40's, another friend of mine that has one is also in their 40's. As a matter of fact I know of no one that owns one that could be called a 'senior'.
Have you ever driven one? These cars are a far cry from a rear wheel drive V-8 monster of the 60's. They handle very well for a large vehicle and get exceptional mpg. Simply put the panther platform is one of the very best vehicles on the planet.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The 'clientele'? So anybody that buys these cars must be what....over 75? Hardly. My girlfriend and I are in our 40's, another friend of mine that has one is also in their 40's. As a matter of fact I know of no one that owns one that could be called a 'senior'.
Have you ever driven one? These cars are a far cry from a rear wheel drive V-8 monster of the 60's. They handle very well for a large vehicle and get exceptional mpg. Simply put the panther platform is one of the very best vehicles on the planet.

+1

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

I am sure he meant CD player..My sister has a 07 Grand Marquis LS and thats what she has.

He meant both. It sounds like the car has the Dual Media stereo which plays CDs and cassettes.

I came within an ace of having a Grand Marquis as well. In '07, when my Mercedes C230 was starting its transmission troubles, I started looking around in case the tranny proved unfixable. I test drove a both regular Marquis and a "sport" model with a floor auto shift, bucket seats, and a firmer suspension. The regular model was nice, but the sport model (LX or something?) rode much like my late lamented W126 Mercedes sedan.

If the C230's tranny had acted up that day, I'd probably have made a deal on the Grand Marquis and would be running it today.

I own a 91 Grand Marquis, the last of the boxy panther bodies. It used to be my dad's, but now it's mine. I took care of it from day one, and it still is a fine example of these cars. Reading threads like this makes me appreciate the car more and more. I always point out the crushed velour seating and opera lights to my friends.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Congratulations on a beautiful car!
cool.gif
I used to have an '07 Marq myself, now I'm looking at a Town Car!
grin2.gif

Was in a 03 Town Car for most of the day today and it was nice. The car had 210K miles on it and it ran great and everything worked perfectly.

The Town Car must have a great cooling system cause we were in 4 hours of traffic and the needle just stayed in the middle. The a/c was on the entire time.

Congrats on joining the club, Harry.
11.gif
:

I love my GM. I bought mine last year with 16k miles on it. I've since put 20k more trouble-free miles and I still look forward to driving it.

I use the Motorcraft 5w-20 blend with either the MC filter or a Napa Gold filter.

Great car, and I hope Ford keeps crankin' them out, cause when mine is due for a replacement, I'd like to find another!

I have had a 1/2 dozen or so modular powered panther cars and I am only 34.

Now to be fair I just got back from south Florida and I saw a ton of old farts driving GM or CV with hideous fake convertable tops.

OK just to be fair also I was in my early 20's when I had a LTD Crown Victoria..I have been driving Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis ever since then.

When you were in South Florida you must have been in North Broward County..In Miami Dade County I see alot of guys in their 20-40's driving them..Miami Beach is loaded with Crown Vics and Grand Marquis from a people of all ages.

I will admit the fake covertible tops are hideous big time.

Used Police Interseptors are very popular down here..I see them everyday of the week.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
I have had a 1/2 dozen or so modular powered panther cars and I am only 34.

Now to be fair I just got back from south Florida and I saw a ton of old farts driving GM or CV with hideous fake convertable tops.

Well heck man.......it WAS south Florida, right? I mean doesn't 80% of the eastern U.S. retire there? Lol...

I had an opportunity to take the Grand Marquis on an extended trip this Labor Day weekend and noted the gas mileage on my return trip from Northeastern Pa. to Maryland.

I filled up at a PA Sunoco station that I have used occasionally on trips to Pa. It had been awhile since I last fueled there and sadly noted they no longer had Ultra 94. I noticed all the pumps had stickers that the gasoline dispensed could contain up to 10% ethanol. I was down about 10.5 gallons so I put in some Sunoco 91 to mix with the Shell 87 octane in the tank.

On the return trip of 219 miles between the filling station in PA to the filing station in MD., I averaged 27.4 mpg using 8 gallons of gasoline. I was quite impressed as my Avalon typically returned 30 mpg on such a trip. The trip was made in ideal conditions and while I had the A/C going, it didn't need to labor heavily as temps stayed around the high 70's to 80 degrees most of the time.

Most of the cruising was done at 65-70 mph with some short periods at lesser speeds for construction on Interstate 81.

Beside the unexpected highway mileage numbers, I was impressed on the quietness. While cruising at 70 mph, the tachometer was settled in around 1500-1600 RPM. I could play the radio at normal volumes and still hear music clearly.

I recall reading some posts from some people on this board that were getting similar highway numbers. It seems if you keep speeds reasonable, the car will do quite well on long highway trips.

As far a fuel goes use ONLY regular..Premium fuel in not recommended in those cars.

You did beter then me on long trips as I get around 25mpg..The 10% corn juice does knock it down a little.

Originally Posted By: MIAMI-DADE

Was in a 03 Town Car for most of the day today and it was nice. The car had 210K miles on it and it ran great and everything worked perfectly.

The Town Car must have a great cooling system cause we were in 4 hours of traffic and the needle just stayed in the middle. The a/c was on the entire time.

Do those have belt-driven fans? They can really disperse heat. Though Ford electric fans have a good rep too; taurus ones seem to be the universal retrofit for offroad Jeeps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back