Mercury Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
With end of year incentives and the fact that this fine vehicle may soon be discontinues, I went out and picked out a 2009 Grand Marquis. Silver Birch with medium stone interior.

After riding in it a few days I have come to appreciate just how nice this car really is. The ride and comfort are truly grand and handling isn't that bad for a boat this size. The car has the 4.6 liter V8 and is flexible fuel capable. I don't think I will be feeding E85 anytime soon.

A lot of people may be put off by its bland styling or its label as a grandpa's car. All I say is give it a try. You might actually find yourself enjoying this American classic.

How would you compare the avalon to the GM?

A friend's father would only drive GMs, then his mother went and bought an avalon in 2001 or so. The GMs continue to be trouble-free and cheap to keep for 150-180k miles, the avalon has been $$$$ for the short-run.

There were lot of comments that the power from the avalon v6 was actually better than from the GM. I didnt drive them side to side, so I can't comment on that.

My Merc has been the best car I have ever owned. It's a shame they won't be around much longer. I'm hanging on to mine as long as I can.

Great car.

I hope you got the deal of the century. They drop in value like a brick.

I have had several used Marquis and Crowns and they are great vehicles.

I heard the marquis and cv(fleet) were extended to 2014?

I would have probably gotten another Avalon if they still offered the bench seat as an option. i am one of a minority of people it seems that favors the bench seat and column mounted gear selector over bucket seats and and the floor shifter.

The only major repair expense for the Avalon were some strut supports that needed replacement. That was a well known sore spot for the Avalon. The Avalon was also starting to leak power steering fluid about 3-4 years ago. I was fortunate enough to catch it early and was able to fix it with a little leak sealer. The cheap fix seems to have worked as it isn't leaking again.

With the Avalon keep an eye on your fluids, especially power steering. Power steering fluid seems to degrade and change colors every 2-3 years. It just seems everything in the engine compartment gets very very hot.

The Avalon has a good deal more rear seat leg room, but not as much him room as the GM. that is not an issue for me. I think the front seats in the GM are a little more comfortable and the GM has a nicer ride.

The Avalon seems to have a little bit more punch as far as acceleration. The GM is still new (99 miles on the clock) so it may get better once it has adapted to my driving style.

In short they are both nice cars that I like very much. If I had to take a long trip though, I'd probably pick the GM because of its comfort.

I hold onto cars forever, so depreciation is not a big concern. I was concerned about reliability and the big Merc has been around forever and parts are cheap and plentiful. From what I have read and heard, the GM and CV are pretty tough and durable cars. They seem a pretty good value considering how easy it is to blow 30+ K on a family car.

How much of a deal did they give you? I saw some Grand Marquis at the dealers around here and they were stickering for 30.

If I didn't have 2 dogs to transport, I would have gotten the Merc in a heartbeat, but since I do I ended up with the Escape.

Love those panthers!!! I hope to get one one day...

Congratulations on a beautiful car!
cool.gif
I used to have an '07 Marq myself, now I'm looking at a Town Car!
grin2.gif

I got a fully loaded LS with heated seats, 18 spoke optional alloy wheels, and wood + leather steering wheel, and CD/Cassette stereo radio for $28K before taxes, and tags. With taxes and tags I drove off the lot for under $30K. I felt I really got a lot of car for the money.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
Whether it's a Mercury Grand Marquis, or Ford Crown Victoria- I can only say:
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif
34.gif

+1
I was at the Ford Stealership today cause Ford owed me a free full synthetic oil change. I spoke to several Grand Marquis,Crown Victoria and Town Car owners while I was there and not one single person had a bad word to say about them. They all said they loved them. Two of the cars had over 200K miles on them.

Good luck with your Grand Marquis. You 100% made the right choice!

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
The Marauder versions are pretty mean looking. Saw one of those and I want one of those in my driveway.

The de Sade version will rip a Maurader a new one.

Thank you and thanks to everybody else for your encouragement in my choice of a GM. The only thing is now i have to start stocking up on 5W-20 oil

Fortunately thanks to what I have read here, Motorcraft 5W-20 seems to do really well in the 4.6 liter V-8. It also helps I can get it very reasonably priced at my local Wall-o-China mart!

Motorcraft 5W-20 is an excellent product. I use it in my Ford's, although they are Duratec V6's, not V8's, every 5K. Make sure to use a Motorcraft filter. I think its an FL-820S...

Motorcraft makes a great oil in dino or synthetic. Like somebody else said be sure and use a Motorcraft filter. It seems to work better for most GM/Crown Vic applications than some other filters in regard to startup noise. I use Pennzoil Platinum in the girlfriends for the most part (got Red Line in there now) but would use Motorcraft without hesitation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back