Mercruiser oil filter cut open 35-866340K01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virgin Mercruiser oil filter cut open. This filter is commonly used on GM based marine engines of the 90's to 201x's, 4.3 V6, 5.0 and 5.7 V8 and 7.4 454. Similar spec filters are the M1-111, AC Delco PF454, Wix 57099, Amsoil EAO59, My personal observations are: can is a bit thinner than premium filters, nitrile rather than silicone ADBV, no bypass valve, and that odd end plate with the sheet metal cap. The specs for this engine do not call for a bypass valve. Its an average filter at a premium price, and I see nothing to strongly recommend it considering it is commonly $11-16+. I generally use the oversize M1-302, Amsoil EAO24, or Fram XG5. Can anybody tell me who makes this filter ?

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

On my 5.7 Mercruiser the filter is mounted base plate up to no bypass needed.

Given possible rust and possible not changing the filter too often because of boat is on trailer 99.99% of the time and only in the water when it rains, a thick filter can is a good idea.

I have an Amsoil pre Ea filter on shelf for next oil change.

Last edited:
I always used the 2 qt. filter on my S/B or B/B Chevy in my boats. The by-pass is on the oil filter mounting plate, you can see it with a mirror and a bright light.

Rod

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Can anybody tell me who makes this filter ?

Champion Labs

E-core design.

This is standard AC-Delco Filter.

In Fact, go to wallyworld and look at a SuperTech ST5 - - - - I'll bet it is almost identical. (for $2.88!)

Champ Ecore-would not be my first choice for damp conditions on a boat, not enough media support from the plastic center tube. I like Bosch Distance Plus, when I can find them, or RP-can thickness to stop rust!

On my 5.7 Mercruiser the filter is mounted base plate up to no bypass needed.

Since the filter does not have a bypass valve, the engine will have one.

The ADBV is in the filter and if working correctly will keep oil in the galleries above the filter, minimizing the duration of the dry start condition.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Champ Ecore-would not be my first choice for damp conditions on a boat, not enough media support from the plastic center tube. I like Bosch Distance Plus, when I can find them, or RP-can thickness to stop rust!

Actually, Mercury has been using/ specifying eCores for decades. There does not appear to be an issue with them other than the OEM pricing. When OEM service intervals are followed, rust is not an issue. The updated cores have more support for the media.

Originally Posted by WellOiled

Actually, Mercury has been using/ specifying eCores for decades. There does not appear to be an issue with them other than the OEM pricing. When OEM service intervals are followed, rust is not an issue. The updated cores have more support for the media.
Sure, if the engine is used & oil gets up to temp regularly, no problem. Only issue is-boats sit in water, with a bilge that is rarely completely dry, with almost no air circulation unless the bilge fans are running, & long periods of no use. This filter is the same as the Fram TLE Ecore, possibly the cheapest non-Chinese filter one can buy-obv. another profit center for Mercruiser.

Very well stated. Or use a FRAM ULTRA

Since the Fram '5' series fits, if I was going to use a like Merc ecore here, just get the Super Tech ST5. As noted likely identical to topic in construction, <$3. And since no ecore combo valve to consider, a positive for this application.

The ADBV is in the filter and if working correctly will keep oil in the galleries above the filter, minimizing the duration of the dry start condition.

The Wix that was contemporary to these engines when they were current in automobiles, particularly the mid to late 1980s, had no ADBV, either. There was no bypass because of the block bypass, as you indicate, but there was no ADBV, either. I can't tell for absolute certain with the current 51069, but it does not look to have an ADBV these days, either.

Originally Posted by Garak

The Wix that was contemporary to these engines when they were current in automobiles, particularly the mid to late 1980s, had no ADBV, either. There was no bypass because of the block bypass, as you indicate, but there was no ADBV, either. I can't tell for absolute certain with the current 51069, but it does not look to have an ADBV these days, either.

That is interesting. Some engines using a filter without an ADBV and filter mounted base up may not experience noticeable start up rattle. I do not have experience with the WIX 51069, so I don't know if it has an ADBV or not.

In the taxi days, we used Wix, and they were base up mounting. Now, taxis run almost all the time, and back in those days, a filter with an ADBV was usually an upgrade. My LTD of the same era, with a sideways filter, called for the long gone CFL-1 filter as the ordinary service part, with the FL-1A listed as the long life filter, also having an ADBV, which the former did not have. AC Delcos at the time were being sold at our Walmarts, with ADBVs, and about 1/4 of the price.

Marine engine manufacturers seem to prefer no ADBV. Volvo Penta filters don't use them either for GM engine application.

Rust is a very real problem only for those who do not do regular maintenance. And for those people I'd be more worried about the fuel/water separator/filter. They are thinner skinned than an oil filter and more dangerous to lose to a rust hole. Doesn't take much. I've seen them have no visible rust holes and spray micro jets of fuel like a gas porcupine.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Marine engine manufacturers seem to prefer no ADBV. Volvo Penta filters don't use them either for GM engine application.

Rust is a very real problem only for those who do not do regular maintenance. And for those people I'd be more worried about the fuel/water separator/filter. They are thinner skinned than an oil filter and more dangerous to lose to a rust hole. Doesn't take much. I've seen them have no visible rust holes and spray micro jets of fuel like a gas porcupine.

Here is my post about Mercruiser fuel-water seperators - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...r-mercruiser-filter-cut-open#Post5086476

The construction is very close to an oil filter. The can is slightly thicker than a cheap oil filter, and the inside is painted where it may be exposed to water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back