Mercedes Sprinter V6 Diesel Oil ??

Do not buy it. I had this engine in a R350. Most expensive engine to keep running I have ever owned. Oil seals -$1500, timing chain - $2000. Def system - $2500 plus expensive oil, parts and labor. Loved the car, had to sell it because I could not afford to maintain it.

Is there a MB 229.52 oil you can get from a MB dealer at a decent price? Asking cause I've been pretty surprised by some Mazda oil and fluid prices from the dealer (granted they are nothing special).

MB229.52 vs ACEA A5/B5/C1, Jaso DL-1

2010 3.0L diesel Sprinter calls for MB 229.51 spec which was superseded by MB 229.52. These are low SAPS oils.
2010 is the first year MB used DEF system for their Sprinters.
I had the "joy" of running a fleet of 400 these - MY 2009 to 2013.
Basic engine was fairly robust, everything else broke down and was very expensive to repair.
DEF systems, intake valve systems, exhaust down pipes, cat convertors, driveshafts were problematic.
Most repairs were return to dealer as they are the only ones that have the proper scan tools - its an exclusive club as scan tool subscriptions cost $10,000 a year.
Good luck starting them in -15F and lower weather.
Oil changes are expensive as you need to use 229.52 oil and imo, you should use the MB fuel filter, at $75 per filter and the MB oil filter at $75.
Where is built US version of Sprinter?

There is nothing in the world you can get from MB at a decent price.

Where is built US version of Sprinter?
Charleston North Carolina.
I visited that site when MB was reassembling Sprinters from separate sea cans shipped from Germany to avoid the chicken tax in 2009ish. Still remember their lead for the Sprinter program, Klaus Tritt.

Last edited:
20200828_120507.jpg

If available, I strongly suggest Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W30. Had great success with this oil. Attached is also the TDS for your amusement.

Attachments

• Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
2010 3.0L diesel Sprinter calls for MB 229.51 spec which was superseded by MB 229.52. These are low SAPS oils.
2010 is the first year MB used DEF system for their Sprinters.
I had the "joy" of running a fleet of 400 these - MY 2009 to 2013.
Basic engine was fairly robust, everything else broke down and was very expensive to repair.
DEF systems, intake valve systems, exhaust down pipes, cat convertors, driveshafts were problematic.
Most repairs were return to dealer as they are the only ones that have the proper scan tools - its an exclusive club as scan tool subscriptions cost $10,000 a year.
Good luck starting them in -15F and lower weather.
Oil changes are expensive as you need to use 229.52 oil and imo, you should use the MB fuel filter, at $75 per filter and the MB oil filter at $75.
I suppose it is a foregone conclusion that a motorhome on a Sprinter chassis is a money crater. I wonder if there are extended warranties that cover bumper to bumper.

Do not buy it. I had this engine in a R350. Most expensive engine to keep running I have ever owned. Oil seals -$1500, timing chain - $2000. Def system - $2500 plus expensive oil, parts and labor. Loved the car, had to sell it because I could not afford to maintain it.

I am also looking at a 2006 with the 5 cylinder diesel........after reading several things about the DEF and V6, I am leaning towards it.

Charleston North Carolina.
I visited that site when MB was reassembling Sprinters from separate sea cans shipped from Germany to avoid the chicken tax in 2009ish. Still remember their lead for the Sprinter program, Klaus Tritt.
South Carolina

You are being warned. DO NOT buy the truck. I bought one of them brand new and had problems with it from the first week. Spent thousand keeping it running. Spent weeks of downtime in shop. You have been warned!!!

You are being warned. DO NOT buy the truck. I bought one of them brand new and had problems with it from the first week. Spent thousand keeping it running. Spent weeks of downtime in shop. You have been warned!!!
I had both GL350 Bluetec and Sprinter with V6, never again another Diesel with DEF system. Very happy with an older MB with OM648 CDI.

I am also looking at a 2006 with the 5 cylinder diesel........after reading several things about the DEF and V6, I am leaning towards it.

I put hundreds of thousands of hard miles on 416CDi Sprinters back in the early 2000's all with the 2.7 diesel.

A decent engine but prone to oil leaks and very occasional diesel leaks which would contaminate the serpentine belt which would then fall apart.

This is an image of the early ones when we first got them.
Screenshot_20200831-081318_Chrome.jpg

I have gone back to a different Service for Covid and we have the 3.0d Sprinters.

DEF sensors issues seem common.

But the newest is a 2017.

They do 50/60k a year and get replaced every 4/5 years depending on miles, usually just after 250k

Which is strange because they used to run the 2.7 Sprinters to 500k...

Now being replaced with Fiats....

Fiat with PSA engines, or Fiat with Iveco engines? At some point the PSA 2.2L engine had so many problems that clients ordering one were getting a free update to the 3.0L.
These 5cyl Mercedes have good reputation here too.

View attachment 27964
If available, I strongly suggest Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W30. Had great success with this oil. Attached is also the TDS for your amusement.

Never once seen Total on a shelf on the US West Coast, but maybe I'm not shopping at the right places.

When you say you had great success what do you mean by that?
I've always been intrigued by this brand, but have never had an oil related failure aside from a leak starving an engine.

Functioning is spelled with a "U" but not a huge deal.

UD

The 2.7 had a good reputation. The 3.0 has a number of potential problems especially if driven in city or urban traffic. I have a 08 3.0 cdi, the last year before the DEF systems. I haven't had the problems many have had because when I drive it, it is on at least a 45 mile trip. Very little stop and go.
OP...Don't buy that Sprinter.

Never once seen Total on a shelf on the US West Coast, but maybe I'm not shopping at the right places.

When you say you had great success what do you mean by that?
I've always been intrigued by this brand, but have never had an oil related failure aside from a leak starving an engine.

Functioning is spelled with a "U" but not a huge deal.

UD
Before switching to Shell Rotella T6, I ran the Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W40 in a couple of very heavily modified VW TDI's. Only reason for switching was accessibility and certain modifications allowing for the use of less-emissions friendly oils.

The "O" instead of a "U" is due to language variation. Total is a French company based in France, and Total Canada is based in Las Lasalle, Québec. In French, function is spelt "fonction."

Before switching to Shell Rotella T6, I ran the Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W40 in a couple of very heavily modified VW TDI's. Only reason for switching was accessibility and certain modifications allowing for the use of less-emissions friendly oils.

The "O" instead of a "U" is due to language variation. Total is a French company based in France, and Total Canada is based in Las Lasalle, Québec. In French, function is spelt "fonction."

Tabernac! Being married to my second Quebecois I should have sensed this.

any specific UOA's or data ?

Thanks.

Back