Mercedes Sprinter V6 Diesel Oil ??

In process of buying a 2010 Sprinter van with the Mercedes V6 diesel engine.

I was told by the owner I needed to use Mobil 1 Synthetic Diesel.

I have always used Shell Rotella in my other diesel engines.........am I good ?

How about other oils that will work ?

2006 -2018 is whats referred to as the NCV3 generation and Im pretty sure thats the om 642 V6 diesel with the Nag-5 trans.

The spec oil for this rig is mercedes 229.52, or at min .51but 52 is preferred.

I don believe any Rotellas carry this rating but I could be wrong.

229.52 is like hens teeth - theoretically available everywhere - realistically not available off the shelf or VERY hard to find.

Best sir,

Dave

2010 3.0L diesel Sprinter calls for MB 229.51 spec which was superseded by MB 229.52. These are low SAPS oils.
2010 is the first year MB used DEF system for their Sprinters.
I had the "joy" of running a fleet of 400 these - MY 2009 to 2013.
Basic engine was fairly robust, everything else broke down and was very expensive to repair.
DEF systems, intake valve systems, exhaust down pipes, cat convertors, driveshafts were problematic.
Most repairs were return to dealer as they are the only ones that have the proper scan tools - its an exclusive club as scan tool subscriptions cost $10,000 a year.
Good luck starting them in -15F and lower weather.
Oil changes are expensive as you need to use 229.52 oil and imo, you should use the MB fuel filter, at $75 per filter and the MB oil filter at $75.

According to Lubrizols spider comparative chart the difference is primarily oxidative thickening and secondarily fuel economy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 2.38.28 PM.png

Not a huge "benifit" for someone from over the pond with a conservative OCI approach :) (most bitogers change their oil @5000miles)

Not a huge "benifit" for someone from over the pond with a conservative OCI approach :) (most bitogers change their oil @5000miles)

Agreed.

If one follows the Mercedes "Assyst" intervals it "probably" becomes meaningful.
This oil is expensive and hard to find.

UD

Never once seen 0w-30 Platinum Euro LX on a shelf anywhere in California, same with the other popular choice Mobil 1 ESP.

A sump of it was usually around 80-100 dollars or sometimes there was package deal like Ravenols that came with a filter for around 130.

I had 2 sprinters for 8 years and was in constant search of it.

My application saw lots of genset hours and not as many miles on the sprinter - after 5 years they were about 50K on the sprinter and 7500 on the genset.

UD

That list is the source of much laughter on the Sprinter forums.

Good luck finding these.

UD

You really only need to find one, not them all. j/k. ESP is available from NAPA

If you own a 229.51/2 vehicle I'd keep a change on the shelf vs try to find it when you need it.

Very cool on NAPA.

In my area NAPA has become a product line that certain stores carry
Riebes auto parts in my case. They carry all kinds of cool stuff like all the idemitsu transmission formulations.
Growing up there were dedicated NAPA stores and Im guessing still are in certain areas.

My point is dont walk into Wal Mart, O'Reilly's, or auto zone expecting to find 229.52.

UD

NAPA has Mobil 1 on sale once or twice a year...
Sale price is around $5.99...

I have about 20 quarts of ESP 0W-30 in my stash...

Is there a MB 229.52 oil you can get from a MB dealer at a decent price? Asking cause I've been pretty surprised by some Mazda oil and fluid prices from the dealer (granted they are nothing special).

Is there a MB 229.52 oil you can get from a MB dealer at a decent price? Asking cause I've been pretty surprised by some Mazda oil and fluid prices from the dealer (granted they are nothing special).

Try.

I didnt though - It was all by quart and I never got a deal, but I only had 2 Sprinters so I was a nobody to them.
If bought over the counter it came up to about 150 bones hence buying the Ravenol kits.

I did enjoy their latte and donuts.

Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle should have no problems with long OCIs, the later Rimula LME Plus looks identical – with attractive claims added in its brochure.

Back