Mercedes cartridge filter comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consensus in that thread was the filter wasn't really the cause of the engine failure. Twisted pleats look ugly, but won't cause engines to blow-up.

It would be wise to make a reference stick to gauge the correct distance to insert these filters. When the element sticks out too far, as Mann went to the trouble to mark the element and issue instructions not to do that, it can twist, badly. Twisting stretches the fibers and compromises the design.
There are people on this board that if you copied and pasted their own words into a post, they would start finding fault with what is said.
laugh.gif

Filter weights as requested:

Mahle - 71 grams
Hengst - 67 grams
Bosch - 56 grams
Mann - 56 grams
PG - 58 grams

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowmanCO
Up until a couple years ago, most Mercedes engines used a particular cartridge filter. I recently acquired a 2010 C300, and wanted to compare some filters out there. I have seen numerous reports of paper versions of these filters being problematic due to the high oil pressures causing them to twist and distort, so I only only purchased synthetic (fleece as the Mercedes people call them) filters. I ended up getting a Mann (who is the OEM supplier for this model), Bosch, Premium Guard, Mahle, and Hegst Here is my stock:

All good quality filters. Notice the Mann, Bosch and PG models look very similar. More on that later. Here is a closer look at the top of the Hengst:

A nice felt seal at the ends of the filter. The banding around the exterior to prevent filter distortion from pressure is made out of some sort of glue material. Each of the three strips was uniformly applied with no sign of any gaps. The box was also sealed, so it could not be tampered with without breaking the seal. Next is the Mahle:

This one has a rubber seal at the ends. The two bands are probable the downside of this filter. They are made out of a plastic material that is bonded to the filter. There is some overlap where the band is wrapped around (not shown). Next is a close up of the premium guard:

Rock Auto had this one for $4.12 cents, and the picture appeared to be exactly like the OEM Mann filter, so I thought I would give it a chance. It turns out, its a Mann knock off made in China (the Mann and Bosch filters are made in Germany). The media is very similar, but may be a little thicker on the PG. The nylon string banding is appears to be coated with some sort of glue to allow it to attach to the filter (in all 3 cases).

Next, comes the Bosch:

This filter appears to be identical to the Mann. I would even say, they are most likely made in the same factory based on the fonts on the date codes. Here is a closer look at the Mann:

The Mann filters are also in a sealed box, so they cannot be tampered with. They are the gold standard for this filter model. I don't have an official "Mercedes Branded" filter to compare these to, but there is numerous evidence that they are indeed Mann made (no pun intended) filters on this model. I can get the Mann filters for around $9 from FCPEuro and RMEuropean, and the Bosch filters for just over $7 from RMEuropean. If I ever need to buy more filters, I would probably go with the Bosch just to save two bucks. All signs point to them actually being manufactured in the same factory as the Mann models. The Chinese knock off PG filters aren't bad, but I would rather get the legit filters for a couple bucks more (plus, Rock auto adds shipping costs).

Hi Snowman
Apologies for replying to an older post.
I have purchased a service kit for my 2008 Grand Cherokee with the Merc OM642 engine. The Filter supplied looks nothing like the ones in you photo's. It is yellow and is a Mahle OX380D. Is this filter ok to use or should I find one like the one in your photo?
Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back