Mercedes Benz -- YAY or IXNAY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a used car. I originally wanted to find a well-maintained Honda or Toy in the 2500 to 3000 price range. I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he offered to sell me his 2000 ML320 for 4500. I started thinking that this might be a good deal because my friend takes meticulous care of his cars, all dealer maintenance. The car seems to run perfectly; it has 140K on it. The interior is immaculate, with the only issue a little body damage to the left rear quarter panel where someone sideswiped the car. That doesn't bother me since I would plan on driving it into the ground. Is this a good price? Am I going to be made sorry by repair or maintenance bills? I don't know what to do.

Originally Posted By: Cogito
I need a used car.

Is fuel economy not a concern at all? This thing gets 18 mpg, if you're lucky.

I always loved it when me and a buddy always got Mercedes, BMW, or Volks right before we close shop.

One time we had one of each, and they were all white. Right before closing.

I would never buy a car that I wouldn't personally enjoy working on. And I don't like working on German cars.

Of the German brands, I think I like BMW the best, followed by Volks.

They tend to cater to drivers.

But Mercedes? I have only really seen real-estate agents or hair stylists drive them.

Up here in Quebec these brands depreciate very fast. Volks not so bad, but the other two are best bought used.

If it has self adjusting suspension, stay away. They are not fuel efficient and I think that gen of MLs were horrible, check reliability reports.

Well, I don't know. That's a low price and the man knows the car. If he has the liquidity to handle a major repair or two maybe its OK.

I do know this: Chrysler gets bought by MB. Quality plummets. Chrysler gets bought by Fiat. Quality improves. effin' Fiat!

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

I do know this: Chrysler gets bought by MB. Quality plummets. Chrysler gets bought by Fiat. Quality improves. effin' Fiat!

Daimler paid way too much for Chrysler..then the stock tanked because it was taken off the S&P 500 list. Fiat got Chrysler for nothing and a lot of funding in the bailout. Very different stories.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
MB are money pits.Stay away.

Every guy I know who has one complains about the cost of ownership versus reliability.

I would highly recommend staying away.

Since it has 140K, I would guess a lot of work has already been done. However, you are starting to get into the age where rubber seals, and "little" things add up -look up the cost of suspension (tire rods, bushings etc )

Seems like a decent ride from reviews on KBB

http://www.kbb.com/mercedes-benz/m-class/2000-mercedes-benz-m-class/

Aside from that, the ML320 gets 15mpg's city and 18 highway. According to fueleconomy.gov, they say it's designed to run best on prem. too

Overall, I'd say go for it. Seems like a nice ride
smile.gif

I recall when I bought my first bmw (an 86 325es) everyone told me to stay away and get a Civic or something similar.

Sure it would have saved me some $ (considering I was a young university student at the time), but overall, I wouldn't have gotten the experience of owning a fuel efficiant 6 cyl german sports coupe. It was the best decision of my automotive career after driving bargain (cheap) cars such as my Rabbit, Cavalier, mazda Protege and a Volvo wagon. It really made me appreciate looking at vehicles as something you ENJOY rather than just a means of transportation

just my .02

I'd be a little concerned about an old ML. The early ML was not noted for either quality or reliability.
What you might do is go through the car's service history.
If the car has always been dealer serviced, a full maintenance/repair history will be available, a thing of great value in itself.
If it has required mostly normal maintenance and replacement of consumables, it might be a good bet.
If it's required major repairs over its life, it might not be.
One clue in identifying an owner who cares are the tires on the vehicle.
If the thing is on some brand of tire you've never heard of, stay away.
If it's on Michelins, the owner has probably taken good care of the vehicle and was not shy about spending money to get quality.
JMHO, YMMV.

I do love the look of many Mercedes-Benz vehicles. I'm even considering buying an SLK250 in a couple of years. But I must say that the model and year Mercedes you are considering COULD be either a headache or a blessing. Do as much research as you can before you make a decision. Don't make your decision based on those that seem to discount ALL MB as unreliable....nor should you arbitrarily trust the seller. Find out as much as you can about the exact vehicle you are considering as well as a complete overview on the car, easily available online.
The internet is your friend.

One of my friends neighbors has a old dented ML320. Its been that way for a couple years now. It kind of takes away the "prestige" of driving a MB.
Anyways, is the possible maintenance bills and bad fuel economy worth driving a MB to you? The accountant in me would say, get the $4500 Corolla or Civic if you have $4500 to spend on a car and want to get around inexpensively.
I don't know what a Pacifica goes for, but I hear its like a MB with a Chrysler engine if you want a MB feel with maybe just Chrysler repair bills?

I'm not a fan of the earlier US built M series either. There's a lot of reports of garbage out there, but with Benz it's always got to be taken with a grain of salt. The vast majority of Benz owners love their cars.

I can honestly say that I have never owned any brand of car that was as tight as my old 82 280E at similar miles. Those cars were very well made.

But I have owned much newer Mercs that didn't make Mama proud...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back