Mental Midgets dreaming of increasing registration fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money was raised in Maryland, on gasoline taxes. Now that we have a Republican governor, suddenly that money is being used to fix roads. And to fix mass transit, and other stuff as well. Amazing what can be done when taxes are used for what they are intended to be used for.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by eljefino
Per my above link, California funds 23% of their roads by gas tax & user fees; Illinois 27%. The rest comes from the general fund.

IDK how they can embezzle what's a deficit to begin with.

It's funny you state this with California's budget office clearly stating only 59% of it's gas tax revenue is being used for roadway and public transportation and the other 41% is used to finance other departments. Thus there is contradictory information.

Also the revenue for highway user tax and motor vehicle fees outweigh department of transportation cost by about 300 million dollars in California.

http://www.ebudget.ca.gov/budget/2019-20/#/BudgetSummary

So at least one state is making money on fees and taxes even when factoring the 29 million which came from the general fund. So where did the rest of $300,000,000 surplus from auto fees and taxes go? This directly contradicts the figure you posted from a political movement website when the actual state government provides data the revenue greatly exceeds expenditures.

Originally Posted by azjake
Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Just paid the fees on the wifes 1 yr old caddy. ~$2100 for 2 yrs. Connect the dots kids ...If you can afford something really nice you should subject yourself to a progressive fee to be allowed to do so.

That's the one Arizona tax that is pretty high. My understanding is it's based on the MSRP of the base model of your vehicle and goes down about 16% every year after that. When I bought my 2015 Murano in 2016 the first year taxes were over $500.

A lot of taxes are high here. It doesn't matter where you live, they get your money one way or another!

Answers here will vary considerably by state.

For my home state, all gas taxes, tab fees (registration), and sales tax on motor vehicle sales must be used "solely for highway purposes" by state law.

For MN, 28% of highway funding is paid for by gas tax, registration covers 23%, vehicle sales tax 14%, Federal Aid is 24%, bonds cover about 7%, and 3% comes from other sources.

That is only the highway system. Local roads outside of the State Aid system are paid for by property taxes and bonding primarily.

Long story short, no funding here goes to other projects.

Reality is that having a fixed gas tax causes problems. Between higher mileage cars or electric cars and hybrids, these vehicles do not pay a proportionate amount of gas tax. In addition, when not indexed to inflation, a fixed cost does not match the reality of construction costs. Anybody tried to build a road lately? Any idea what current costs are compared to 10 years ago? 20 years ago? How about 26 years ago (the last time the federal gas tax was raised? (Hint: General inflation since 93 is about 75% - meaning the 18.4 cent federal tax in 1993 is now worth much less.) States are all over the map here, but the story is generally the same.

Blame it all on others, corrupt politicians, corrupt road builders, etc... but ignore the reality of what a fixed gas tax can and can't do at your own peril... In many places, we are expecting our roads to be top notch while paying significantly less (when inflation is accounted for) than we did even 10 or 20 years ago, and then scratch our heads why we don't get what we think we should.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Unfortunately roads are crumbling and need fixing. Money needs to be raised somehow. We must stop kicking the xan down the road.

Here they are talking a huge increase in fuel taxes. I would prefer an increase in sales tax.

I'm in michigan and what I never hear is from the people agreeing that we need to spend money.. (yes the roads do need to be fixed).. But..WHERE did the money go for the 2015 Michigan gas tax and registration fee hike , go? hmm?? Let's start asking THOSE questions before any more fees are raised..

and did you know that the sales tax on gas in michigan does NOT go to the roads?!! yup.. insane, but oh let's pay more money.

Has anyone every realized that the people on those forums could be paid trolls to sway public opinion? They already do it with yelp, and other only reviewers. Amazon has had an entire troll army hitting them, it's called brigading. just saying..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back