Mens Suits

No cash in my mattress. I ain't no hillbilly. I keep it in the bank where now finally it earns some interest.
Should stick it in a brokerage account. Then you could get margin on the account and use the margin to either buy additional shares or use it to just buy bonds with fixed interest rates. As long as your holdings don't crater, you get to increase your return and margin rates are still low, interactive brokers has them at 3.83%.

As for storing tires in an unused bathtub? So what? If aunt Betty thinks it's odd, too bad.
View attachment 113392
That is one ugy bathroom, needs a new white tub and a mixing valve like a Symmons, individual hot and cold valves means you could get scalded by hot water. Nice creative stacking though, I guess you have room for a few more sets.

Mid 60's modern. That was in then. And I don't need no nanny faucet to protect me from my own stupidity. Just like people here turn off all their ADAS in their cars.

A lady died up in farming country. I was asked to be a pallbearer. I showed up in a suit and was so fabulously overdressed I was stared at continually. I'm all for "rural straightforwardness" but the 3 button tee shirts and jeans left a bad taste in my mouth. There, a sports coat and slacks would've been the ticket.

Then, ONCE, I was whisked to a wake and told a black cumfy cotton ensemble I had was good enough because the DEAD WIFE had been a coworker of my wife's so many years earlier. I foolishly (lazily?) took that as a permission slip. There, the looks I got from the $1,000 suits liquified the marrow in my bones.

I'm all for 'not giving a tinker's darn' about what others think (which we all know has applications as well as limits) but that time I learned a lesson.
What burned most was that I already knew the lesson.

Years (read 'pounds') later I bought a navy blue suit at a chain store called Jos. A. Bank. They had a sale (duhh) and basic blue beauty has not only paid for itself (don't ask me how I calculated that) but is always the best looking suit in any room it's in.

The funny part here is that when people compliment me on it and ask where I got it, they all feel obligated to say, "Jos. A. Bank is expensive".
I remind them that they have sales too.

Some of the newer materials I've seen in today's suits is weird and plainly unacceptable as suiting.

What's amazing to me are guys wearing suits with the extra tight, cuffless trousers which end 9" above their shoes.

The importance of a properly fitting suit can't be overemphasized. And I'm not talking about buying an off the rack suit from Macy's, Mens Warehouse, Jos. A. Bank etc. and just having the pants hemmed and sleeves shortened.

Very few people have a perfectly symmetrical and proportioned body. You may have one arm or leg slightly longer than another, or a shoulder slightly lower than the other. Or your posture makes that fabric in the coat behind the neck to make a ridge. Some guys wear their pants up near their navel, others down lower on the hips. You get the picture.

So at minimum you may need the services of a good tailor and not just some minimum wage person on a sewing machine that is going to shorten the sleeves and pant legs. None of that is cheap but when done properly the look is so much better. Most people won't know exactly why when they observe you but they will know that you look good even if you aren't a matinee idol.

If you can afford to go out and spend a couple hundred bucks on dinner and drinks once a month or more, you can afford to spend $2000 for a high quality suit that has been custom tailored. Unless you want to be just another schlub.

Oh, and never wear a cheap tie. You would be surprised how much better the overall impact is with one that is well matched in color, pattern and texture with the suit and costs $75 vs. a $29.95 polyester tie.

At some point I'd like to have a true made to order custom suit but that can set one back $5000 or more and I wouldn't have any place to wear it anyway.

That's one of the problems in this country. People worrying too much about what other people will think, and getting validation from, and basing self worth on, what other people think. That's why some people drive a new BMW and Mercedes every year to impress their friends and neighbors, yet have nothing saved for retirement. Or spend $20,000 on a wedding or funeral that nobody remembers 3 months later. As for storing tires in an unused bathtub? So what? If aunt Betty thinks it's odd, too bad.
You’ve got it all backwards. You’ve twisted what I said into some sort of self righteous diatribe when, in fact, I never said this was about what other people think.

You shouldn’t care what other people think.

You should care, and care very much, how you make others feel.

That’s the point.

Your presence makes them feel supported. Your presence when behaving inappropriately may make them feel disrespected.

Perhaps you should try putting other people’s feelings, instead of your own unique set of social values, at the top of your agenda.

The Ralph Lauren 100% wool suits are my favorite. I remember my dad always saying everyone needs to own at least one good suit. Maybe perhaps 3. Have a casual, business professional, and formal.

^^I agree! Heck soon thereafter they'll be paying that again for their divorce attorney!
Our daughter-in-law's uncle said at the time that the longevity and happiness of a marriage was typically inversely proportional to the amount of money spent on the wedding - and that, therefore, his niece and my son would have a long and happy marriage. So far that's been the case.

I'm not saying shorts and flip flops
That's one of the problems in this country. People worrying too much about what other people will think, and getting validation from, and basing self worth on, what other people think.
Then why not shorts and flip flops, if you don't care what others think?

It's a display of class, it's what separates those from, as you state it, hillbillies.

Last edited:
My good friends father was the Euro agent for Brioni so I got Brioni, Armani (both tailored), and a few other suits, sport coats, shirts and other things at lets say good price. I still have them all but have no need to wear them much anymore, the Brioni is the better suit and it shows. I never owned a cheap suit, dress watch or shoes with man made soles (leather only).

...... i tried on some pants...my GF could not stop laughing at how dumb i looked till i looked at myself. This skinny suit look aint for old people ....
Isn't that the truth.

My bride does pretty much all of my clothes buying and she's tried slim fit stuff on me. At 6ft, 220lbs 51yrs/old I look like a bratwurst ready to split it's skin in that "fit". It's a no go. Regular guy like my avatar..

I do have a couple of sport coats and one suit from the Men's Warehouse from years ago. The only times I have to dress up is weddings and funerals. That's more than enough for me.

You can also find very good quality suits at thrift stores very inexpensively, if you are not in a hurry.

Brands I like are:

Hickey Freeman
Hart Schaffner and Marx
Burberry
Paul Stuart
Hugo Boss

A lady died up in farming country. I was asked to be a pallbearer. I showed up in a suit and was so fabulously overdressed I was stared at continually. I'm all for "rural straightforwardness" but the 3 button tee shirts and jeans left a bad taste in my mouth. There, a sports coat and slacks would've been the ticket.

Then, ONCE, I was whisked to a wake and told a black cumfy cotton ensemble I had was good enough because the DEAD WIFE had been a coworker of my wife's so many years earlier. I foolishly (lazily?) took that as a permission slip. There, the looks I got from the $1,000 suits liquified the marrow in my bones.
I wear what I'm comfortable wearing to any important event - generally a navy suit or a navy blazer with grey trousers. Yes country events are often more casual but I'd rather be overdressed than under-dressed.

Isn't that the truth.

My bride does pretty much all of my clothes buying and she's tried slim fit stuff on me. At 6ft, 220lbs 51yrs/old I look like a bratwurst ready to split it's skin in that "fit". It's a no go. Regular guy like my avatar..

I do have a couple of sport coats and one suit from the Men's Warehouse from years ago. The only times I have to dress up is weddings and funerals. That's more than enough for me.
In all honesty even if i was 35 i dont like skin tight clothes .....never have never will ...i dont want say why and get cut.....when magnum pi would wear those daisy dukes in the show i would think if he knew how bad that look is....

Still wearing my wedding suit from the '80s, though it would fit better if I shed a few pounds.

Job interviews in the past, typically weddings and funerals in recent years.

It is always better to be the best dressed guy in the room than the worst dressed.

I forgot to mention shoes too. You'll look like an idiot wearing shoes with some kind of Vibram or outdoor soles with a suit. I often look at shoes that are somewhat dressy or at least would be good for the Business Casual category but they have some kind of sport soles on them that ruins the look.

I own several suits. One tuxedo.

Why? Weddings. Funerals. Job interviews.

I will wear my tuxedo again at a wedding next month.

A grown up needs at least one good suit, with appropriate accessories; shoes, shirts, and/or ties, handbag, etc. to accompany it.

My children all have suits.

My oldest daughter had several medical school interviews. Several residency interviews. One does not show up to those wearing “a golf shirt and slacks” and have any hope of success.

My son and I got a nice suit, a couple blazers, and some nice slacks for him while he was in college. He has needed them for job interviews, weddings, and yes, a funeral.

My youngest daughter is shopping with her aunt (a very fashionable businesswoman) for a suit next month as she prepares for med school interviews.

Back