Menards $2 Quaker State Filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
hahahaha HowAboutThis

.... or keep using filters made by Puro and not notice the media holes or tearing.
Some members-here have Lady Luck at their sides 24/7. I seem to always have some-sort of devil lurking nearby - trying to create havoc with me.

I may be wrong but almost all of the "store brand" low end purolator filters did not suffer from tears that have been posted here. The name brand purolators, Bosch and other direct puro equivalent filters had problems.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
hahahaha HowAboutThis

.... or keep using filters made by Puro and not notice the media holes or tearing.
Some members-here have Lady Luck at their sides 24/7. I seem to always have some-sort of devil lurking nearby - trying to create havoc with me.

I may be wrong but almost all of the "store brand" low end purolator filters did not suffer from tears that have been posted here. The name brand purolators, Bosch and other direct puro equivalent filters had problems.

Yes, you are wrong. I cut apart many Group 7, ProMotive and other "made by Puro" filth that tore

I have a Purolator on my car right now. It replaced the ultra that tried to kill my car lol. I'll see if it tears. Hope not because I have 4 more. White ones from Walmart clearance

I sent Adam a couple Bosch Premiums which may be Puro-made (not sure, didn't investigate) but maybe some dissection will provide some valuable insight. They are 3600 and 3614 Fram equivalents so they should fit just fine on his Camry.

Random thought of the day: I really like watching the straw weight class in UFC, those women beat the snot out of each other. Not too many KOs though
frown.gif

Back on topic: Just about any $2 filter has its place and usage, as long as change interval is tailored to the capability of the filter. Nothing like a 10k OCI with three filter changes and a quart of makeup oil!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
hahahaha HowAboutThis

Yes, you are wrong. I cut apart many Group 7, ProMotive and other "made by Puro" filth that tore
i guess I forgot about the group 7 and promotive ones. I think the Quaker state and penzoil ones didn't tear.

I wounder if the quake state ones were different media than the classics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
hahahaha HowAboutThis

i guess I forgot about the group 7 and promotive ones. I think the Quaker state and penzoil ones didn't tear.

I wounder if the quake state ones were different media than the classics.
The QS ones tend to have glued seams, that seems to mitigate the tearing somewhat, but there have been torn QS ones posted here, with & without metal seam crimps.

hahahaha HowAboutThis

These are a little different. Last time I looked online, they had a paper/ synthetic blend media and aren't like a normal Purolator. Maybe they are more like the Motorcraft filters? We've seen a few here and they always look great especially for the price. They combine many part numbers to (I assume) save on shelf space so for me at least, the selection is always limited when they are on sale. People just buy them up I guess.

Use them or not use them, that is the question.

Hello, these qs filters are back on sale at Menards. I picked up a few and I have 1 with red lettering on the side and others with black lettering on top below the qsxxxx number.

I think 1 was manufactured in fayetteville in 2017 and from what I researched the rest are manufactured in fayetteville in 2018.

Do manufacture years matter? And what is the difference between the red letter code on the side and the black letter code on top?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
hahahaha HowAboutThis

These are a little different. Last time I looked online, they had a paper/ synthetic blend media and aren't like a normal Purolator. Maybe they are more like the Motorcraft filters? We've seen a few here and they always look great especially for the price. They combine many part numbers to (I assume) save on shelf space so for me at least, the selection is always limited when they are on sale. People just buy them up I guess.

Use them, keep the mileage down, don't stress them with high RPMs in winter with cold oil. The QS ones I've used didn't tear, but ADBVs didn't last long, the QS3600s we used on my brother's '87 Tercel (RIP) lost ADBV action before 3000 miles. The FL-400S ones worked fine.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
hahahaha HowAboutThis

Use them, keep the mileage down, don't stress them with high RPMs in winter with cold oil. The QS ones I've used didn't tear, but ADBVs didn't last long, the QS3600s we used on my brother's '87 Tercel (RIP) lost ADBV action before 3000 miles. The FL-400S ones worked fine.

Hello bullwinkle, you state the filter lost advb action before 3000 miles. How can you determine this?

Thank you

Originally Posted by dummyoil1
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
hahahaha HowAboutThis

Hello bullwinkle, you state the filter lost advb action before 3000 miles. How can you determine this?

Thank you
Startup rattle for 2-3 seconds, and then no oil in the filter when removed & placed open end down on the drain pan. This was on a 1.5 Toyota code "E" engine, the filter was mounted horizontally on the front of the block (which made it easy to change), that engine was hard on nitrile ADBVs in general, but the QS ones went bad more quickly than most. The Tercel was my brother's winter beater, he pushed his luck on a rusty front LCA too far, it snapped & he planted it in a ditch. He bought an '07 Corolla 1.8, which has been running XG3600s from my stash of eBay 6 packs for around 10K/OCI.

[/quote]Startup rattle for 2-3 seconds, and then no oil in the filter when removed & placed open end down on the drain pan. This was on a 1.5 Toyota code "E" engine, the filter was mounted horizontally on the front of the block (which made it easy to change), that engine was hard on nitrile ADBVs in general, but the QS ones went bad more quickly than most. The Tercel was my brother's winter beater, he pushed his luck on a rusty front LCA too far, it snapped & he planted it in a ditch. He bought an '07 Corolla 1.8, which has been running XG3600s from my stash of eBay 6 packs for around 10K/OCI.
[/quote]

Got it, thank you for the explanation

Do manufacture years matter? And what is the difference between the red letter code on the side and the black letter code on top?

Post up the date codes.

Sure ZeeOSix, F10k25g2, this is listed on the top of the filter in black letters. On the inside of Box is die #116. Under this die # is 426464.

F08j23b2, this listed on the side of the filter in red letters. Same die # as above with same # listed under the die #.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Sure ZeeOSix, F10k25g2, this is listed on the top of the filter in black letters. On the inside of Box is die #116. Under this die # is 426464.

F08j23b2, this listed on the side of the filter in red letters. Same die # as above with same # listed under the die #.

Thank you.

Both made by Purolator. The bold part of the code is the day the filters were made.

F = The Fayetteville plant.

F10K25G2 = Oct 25, 2018

F08J23B2 = Aug 23, 2017

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...81/Puorlator_Date_Code_Table#Post4474681

I have two QS3600 oil filters in my stash for my ZTR mower, bought back when I lived in NW Ohio. These were some of the first with louvered center tubes at the time I purchased them. I doubt I'll have s problem in that service with these filters. Spec'd filter is a PH3614 size Kohler ecore at much higher cost. I've been running Wix made CQ Blue 85516 equivalent for PH3600 size.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back