Menards $2 Quaker State Filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a little filter cutter today, used some bearings, nuts & bots and a pipe cutter I had laying around plus my B&D quick-vise. Certainly not a high quality unit but it works! Anyways, here is a brand new Quaker State QS3600. These are routinely available dirt cheap and I use them often for 5000 mile or less OCI. After cutting this one, I feel good about using them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just a regular Purolator filter.
Notice the cuts in the ADV.
31.gif

At least the louvers are open on this one, and proof that the media does not come pre-torn (although their is a wide pleat on both sides of the seam).
Wonder what the manufacturer date is?

I like the home made filter cutter, pretty ingenious,
Only problem is it will make a mess if cutting open a used filter.

They haven't fixed the razor sharp burrs on the inside of the baseplate, at least on this one. Endcaps looking a little rusty too. I have a few of these myself, maybe I ought to cut one & see if it has the same issues as this one does.

Originally Posted by blupupher
...I like the home made filter cutter, pretty ingenious,
Only problem is it will make a mess if cutting open a used filter.

It does work nicely with new filters. Did a Napa Platinum that was used for ATF and that went well. I did poke some holes in the ADBV to reduce the mess prior to cutting it open, though.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Wonder what the manufacturer date is?

I don't see one in any of the photos. Instead, it has "QS3600" (meaning Quaker State 3600) where normally the manufacturing date code would be.

Maybe the date code is on the side of the can somewhere?

Sorry no pic but can has, among the rest of the markings, writing stating Made in USA Distributed by SOPUS. Also has what could be a date code "F09 J20C2" in red, vertical print.

Originally Posted by buck91
Sorry no pic but can has, among the rest of the markings, writing stating Made in USA Distributed by SOPUS. Also has what could be a date code "F09 J20C2" in red, vertical print.
Sounds like September of 2017, made in the Fayetteville, NC plant. At least the QS filters are cheap when they're on sale at Menards.

I cut one of my QS3600s-it looks a little better, but still has burr marks on the ADBV. Not sure how to get direct links in, but here goes-
https://ibb.co/fx0aFU
Made November 2013, in Fayetteville. Otherwise looks about the same, but shorter than the FL400S or XG3600s.

Last edited:
I bought a bunch of those Menards QS filters for my 2012 Honda Civic and my wife's old 2007 Honda Accord. I just installed one yesterday on my 2012 Civic and I have not had any problems with them. I usually only go 5,000 miles and change the oil and filter. The Civic only holds 3.9 quarts of oil with filter and the filers were bought really cheap and seem to work just fine for me and the Honda Accord of my wife's was sold to buy the Jeep. I think I have two of those Quaker State filters left and then will use my $2.00 Walmart Super Tech filter stash of about 5 filters. After those are gone I am switching to Fram Ultra Synthetic filters like my BITOG buddies.

Originally Posted by buck91
Also has what could be a date code "F09 J20C2" in red, vertical print.

Yep, Purolator date code.

In the past, I've used QS filters. Lots of them. And on the Ford numbers that I've used, I've never had any problem with them, as far as manufacturing defects. I always got them on sale for $2/filter, or less.
But I've stopped using them because they've downsized them. The current QS8A filter is now the size of a Fram ph3600. The current QS3600 is now the size of a PH3614. (I think) Anyway, it's quite a big smaller than the competitor's same number.
I've got some Baldwin-built closeouts from RockAuto and some SuperTech closeouts at WalMart that I'm happy with.

[
"But I've stopped using them because they've downsized them. The current QS8A filter is now the size of a Fram ph3600. The current QS3600 is now the size of a PH3614. (I think) Anyway, it's quite a big smaller than the competitor's same number."
Yup, the QS43 shrank down to the ph16 size a couple of years ago.
Relatives have switched to Super Tech or Fram.

My 2¢

I stocked up on some QS3387's when we visited a Menard's near Chicago a few years back. Ran the filters for about 5,000 miles each with no issues. Love Menards!!

Used those with QSUD on sale from Menards for 7500 intervals for 210k miles on a Honda. Oddly, the engine was rock solid when I traded it in. Complete syn oil change for like $12. What a deal!

Or, don't use them! Only use $12+ filters because all of the dirt and rocks won't get filtered out of your engine with those cheap ones!

hahahaha HowAboutThis

.... or keep using filters made by Puro and not notice the media holes or tearing.
Some members-here have Lady Luck at their sides 24/7. I seem to always have some-sort of devil lurking nearby - trying to create havoc with me.

Last edited:
There are people on here who would use a 29¢ oil filter if they could find one.

Be my guest. Not My Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back