Measuring stairs for carpet..............how to?

We are doing the flooring in our entire house (well except cans, kitchen and washroom). Got our first quote yesterday.

One thing that stuck out was the carpet for the stairs. 22 square yards. THAT seems like a lot. 5.2 yd x 5.2 yd. Maybe not...........see below, plus I don't remember 8 more steps up to 2nd floor.

1729393_3_2.jpg

1729393_2_2.jpg

If you are not using that carpet anywhere else, then they have to buy basically a full width of material to get it wide enough to do the bottom stairs which means there will be a lot of "scrap" that you are paying for. Also, don't forget to add in the amount used on the risers.

If you are not using that carpet anywhere else, then they have to buy basically a full width of material to get it wide enough to do the bottom stairs which means there will be a lot of "scrap" that you are paying for. Also, don't forget to add in the amount used on the risers.
Yes only carpet. I figured in the risers, but not so much the wastage. Thanks Still getting one or two more quotes, so it will be interesting.

Lot of seams in them first five steps so you have to be carful how much you stretch the carpet when installing so you don't reveal the seam as it wears, but not enough stretch and it will start to look bad between the seams. Doing regular steps is hard, I can't imagine doing those.

The carpet needs to be fitted and cut with the "grain" of the carpet for proper looks when installed so some times it takes more carpet than we as a novice would expect and with any job quality is worth more than cost savings.

$600 labor alone PITA, $50 yard carpet at 22 yards
For the labor, I'd jump at it ! That just looks like a very, highly skilled task on those stairs. Heck, if a couple installers saw the job and admitted they couldn't do it well, I'd really respect them. With the carpet, they have to start with the width at the very bottom so you're paying for all of that width even though each subsequent stair gets less and less (to a point).

22 sq. yds. is a 12x16' 6"
Every 9 inches on a 12 foot roll is a sq. yd.
There should be no seams on any of those steps.
Each one of those steps should be cut to fit, but you can save on carpet with putting seams on the treads ,hack job but less material.
When doing steps the grain of the carpet can go in any direction.
I've been in flooring for 42 years and just seeing part of your stairs 22 yards is not out of whack.
Plus you have a couple pie steps that eat yardage.
But thats will take lot of time for an installer to do a good job.

That's really not that bad labor wise. I was going to guess ~$2400 all-in w/ a really good carpet and pad.

Re-doing all the flooring? What I see looks great yet!
NO it's not great. It's some Home Depot grade engineered wood with dents and scratches total crapjob installation. Some previous owner kids have scratched pictures of houses and initials into it, plus the furniture butchered it completely. It's a mess, trust me. The carpet is on the steps and most of upstairs. It smells of maple syrup and mushrooms with hint of a dog **** and cat poo, with a flowery undertone of athelete's foot.

Amsoil pays me decent after 21 years I can say that, and is nice to have in retirement, but is not my sole income or how I saved for retirement. No mortgage on either house helps. I don't know when I will start SS, but maybe 65 or 66.....we will see.

Reactions: JTK
There should be no seams on any of those steps.
Each one of those steps should be cut to fit, but you can save on carpet with putting seams on the treads ,hack job but less material.
After looking at that again after you said no seams I think I get what you're saying, my experience in laying carpet is about a dozen houses and nothing that fancy. I helped a buddy in the winter when I would get laid off from my masonry job.

I'm guessing you would have to cut squares for the steps to have no seams so couldn't you use what was left over from the first step to do one further up and so on?

I'm also thinking making a template would help.

And my hats off to you sir, laying carpet and flooring is not an easy way to make a living, it's the only work I've done where there is more bending over than laying brick/block.

Last edited:
After looking at that again after you said no seams I think I get what you're saying, my experience in laying carpet is about a dozen houses and nothing that fancy. I helped a buddy in the winter when I would get laid off from my masonry job.

I'm guessing you would have to cut squares for the steps to have no seams so couldn't you use what was left over from the first step to do one further up and so on?

I'm also thinking making a template would help.

And my hats off to you sir, laying carpet and flooring is not an easy way to make a living, it's the only work I've done where there is more bending over than laying brick/block.
Left overs you use for the risers.

That's really not that bad labor wise. I was going to guess ~$2400 all-in w/ a really good carpet and pad.

Re-doing all the flooring? What I see looks great yet!
HALT THE PRESSES - ALL STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The estimator guy maybe led us astray. I found some in the shop................the existing floor downstairs is REAL wood, maple I believe. Help me out here, anyone know about this product? I think discontinued
111sanded-1.jpg

I sanded a sample:
111sanded.jpg

111sanded-1.jpg

Looks like real hardwood. Can it be refinished?

Do the make an in situ finish with aluminum oxide?

Reactions: JTK
I'll take hardwood flooring over fluffy bacteria traps any day. I'd certainly have the steps refinished if possible.

Based on what I see in those pics, that's real wood and can be refinished.

I don't know what the cost would be for what you want though.

Based on what I see in those pics, that's real wood and can be refinished.

I don't know what the cost would be for what you want though.
Yes and also not trusting first floor company.

I called Mohawk Tech support. No longer made, but yes real maple. Thanks!

Back