MC Syn vs Castrol Edge or Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellas-

I've got a new st fiesta that's direct injected and turbocharged.

I did my first change on the weekend and I went with the motorcraft synthetic 5w20. Since this oil is only purchased from a dealer, it won't be going on sale (if it does it's not like I'll see it in the flyer) so I was wondering if the pennzoil ultra or the castrol edge would work better or worse ?

I'm in Canada and I can get a motorcraft filter and 5 litres of oil for about 50 bucks.

Why opinion will run rampant who can really say which oil would actually be better. Pick on and run it.

Originally Posted By: Striker
Hi fellas-

I've got a new st fiesta that's direct injected and turbocharged.

I did my first change on the weekend and I went with the motorcraft synthetic 5w20. Since this oil is only purchased from a dealer, it won't be going on sale (if it does it's not like I'll see it in the flyer) so I was wondering if the pennzoil ultra or the castrol edge would work better or worse ?

I'm in Canada and I can get a motorcraft filter and 5 litres of oil for about 50 bucks.

I think MC will be good enough. Personally I'd prefer a synthetic. Depending on your location can raiding a Walmart in the States be an option?

If i am not mistaken the Motorcarft oil is a synblend, a good one actually.

I would run that as long as the warranty is active in order to avoid giving the dealership any reason to deny any claims.

After that i would recommend a full synthetic oil in the required viscosity along with a MC filter.
I think if you go with Castrol, Mobil 1, Penzzoil you will be perfectly fine just watch out if the oil has to meet a certain FORD spec and make sure the oil has it on the label.

Full synthetic works better especially if you have a turbocharged engine.

Good luck!.

Originally Posted By: knoas
If i am not mistaken the Motorcarft oil is a synblend, a good one actually.

I would run that as long as the warranty is active in order to avoid giving the dealership any reason to deny any claims.

After that i would recommend a full synthetic oil in the required viscosity along with a MC filter.
I think if you go with Castrol, Mobil 1, Penzzoil you will be perfectly fine just watch out if the oil has to meet a certain FORD spec and make sure the oil has it on the label.

Full synthetic works better especially if you have a turbocharged engine.

Good luck!.

They make both full syns and blends...

knowing most "synthetics" are group III refined CRUDE oils that are cleaner + said to withstand more heat i would stay with a "synthetic". if that 5-20 proves to be too weak as it was in my girlfriends 13 2.5 DI malibu a 5-30 within the spec would do better. her car took 3 qts in 3,000 miles + although considered ok by manufacturers its not ok in my book!!! i am not a fan of the lighter oils used for mpg's but not longevity!!

I'd run Ultra or Edge over MC simply because I hate the idea of giving Ford more money every time you buy something that says "Motorcraft" on it. They only recommend it because they make money off it. For a few dollars more you can have a much better oil and don't have to be giving any more of your hard earned cash to the FoMoCo!

When I bought my Powerstroke, the dealer did everything he could to convince me to run MC oil over Rotella, but, I ignored him and ran Rotella despite his "claim" that it or any other oil besides MC would ruin my injectors. Truck's now creeping up on 200k miles on the original injectors and fuel pump running nothing but Rotella it's whole life.

The other debate I have with this car is the grade of oil. Ford calls for 5 2@.

Every other Eco boost engine is a 5w30. Now mind you, all the others are larger in disc placement as well.

When this thing has a compression ratio of 10:1 and hits 20 psi of boost everyday, I do want to make sure it stays together. Plus I absolutely love the car.

Just my 2 cents, but I think you would do okay by using the least expensive name brand synthetic you can find.

I have the same car and currently I have Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra, and Mobil 1 lined up thanks to the mail-in-rebate offers going on. You're in Canada so I'm guessing you don't have these. I think I have enough oil to last 3-4 years.

I also don't agree with the 5w-20 spec, but I will stick with it for a while. I don't think there are many other manufacturers who recommend a 20 weight oil for a turbo engine. The same car with the same engine gets 5w-30 in Europe and Australia.

Which engine is it? The 1 litre EcoBoost engine gets 5W-20 everywhere - it needs Ford WSS-M2C-948A which is 5W-20 only.

Plenty of manufacturers specify a xW-20 in turbocharged engines: Jaguar, Land Rover, BMW, Honda, Volvo, GM, VW, Aston Martin...

Originally Posted By: Striker

Any of them, and Mobil 1, too, will be just fine. If you like the dealer oil, you could always go to a Petro-Canada distributor and buy Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 5w-20.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I'd run Ultra or Edge over MC simply because I hate the idea of giving Ford more money every time you buy something that says "Motorcraft" on it. They only recommend it because they make money off it. For a few dollars more you can have a much better oil and don't have to be giving any more of your hard earned cash to the FoMoCo!

When I bought my Powerstroke, the dealer did everything he could to convince me to run MC oil over Rotella, but, I ignored him and ran Rotella despite his "claim" that it or any other oil besides MC would ruin my injectors. Truck's now creeping up on 200k miles on the original injectors and fuel pump running nothing but Rotella it's whole life.

What's your point? What's the difference between Ford or BP? Ford recommends Castrol in Europe I think but Motorcraft is a fine oil and I've bought it on closeout at AAS...

And oil isn't what ruined the Powerstroke 6.0 injectors, it was 40-cetane fuel as the recommended 45-cetane is very hard to find and few read their manuals anyways...

Originally Posted By: knoas
Oh OK, i was not aware of that.

That is good to know, thank you!.

The 4.5L PS's in the Ford LCF450 cab forward delivery trucks were especially bad and most have grenaded by now. There is a dedicated following that loves them and manages to keep them going making for a cheap delivery truck (they're worth almost nothing due to the image), they use cetane and fuel injection additives in almost every tank of fuel and have extra large fuel filters and the engines seem to have none of the dreaded Powerstroke strokes....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back