MC FL-1A Dent

While at WM Friday morning I was looking around in the oil and filter section. It's been awhile since I have seen an FL-1A. The first box I opened, the filter had a dent in it. I sure hope the person that selects this filter to buy opens the box first to check the filter.

Attachments

• DENT1.jpg
    DENT1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DENT2.jpg
    DENT2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 12
So you just put it back in the box and placed it on the shelf? Instead of dropping it off at the counter or service desk?
I don't think it really matters. If you give it to the service desk, they will just put it under the counter in the automotive service area and wait to install it on a customer's car.

It is my understanding that damaged merchandise gets returned to the manufacturer and the store gets a credit for it.
Maybe, but probably not. It costs too much to return a lot of items and fill out the paperwork to do it.
Do you think WM or Motorcraft would go out of their way to return a $3 filter? Probably just smashed with a hammer and tossed.
They might get credit for it, but it's probably just written off as the cost of doing business.

Maybe, but probably not. It costs too much to return a lot of items and fill out the paperwork to do it.
Do you think WM or Motorcraft would go out of their way to return a $3 filter? Probably just smashed with a hammer and tossed.
They might get credit for it, but it's probably just written off as the cost of doing business.
Years ago I needed some part for some car, I long forgot what, but I remember finding it on the shelf and it was damaged cosmetically but not functionally. I bring it to the counter and ask if they would give any discount because of the damage. Manager said no, they get a credit or refund when they send it back with all the other returns and cores.

So you just put it back in the box and placed it on the shelf? Instead of dropping it off at the counter or service desk?
Yep.
Like I told member Lubener, I can PM you the WM address and you can go do it.
Maybe you and Lubener can team up and split the gas bill to get there. :ROFLMAO:

If the price is discounted I would run it. I posted last year the commercial rep at Autozone contacted me when they decided to phase out their line of 15/20k OCI STP filters and just keep the 5k and 10K filters. He offered me a bulk deal on filters for my fleet of trucks. I got unsold new ones and a ton of dinged, dropped and dented filters of STPs in all flavors--5ks-10ks and 15/20ks to fit my fleet--mostly PSD 6.7s. They came from all over the region from all of the dented stock from a large number of their stores. I got them so ridiculously cheap. As long as the threads and gaskets looked fine I ran them on my fleet. Great money saver and had no issues. Not a single failure.

I would not buy it for regular price but if I got a good enough deal I would take as many as I could get. That filter will work totally fine with no issues. Only mental issues for most BITOG folks. Take a xanax and save some money.

Why would a slightly out of round or dented filter matter? Provided not majorly crushed, seems to me no issues. There's just a liquid flowing thru it. Not seeing any issues. Please enlighten me.

I don't think it really matters. If you give it to the service desk, they will just put it under the counter in the automotive service area and wait to install it on a customer's car.
The kid at the service desk won't know what it is and probably will ask if you want fries with that.

Why would a slightly out of round or dented filter matter? Provided not majorly crushed, seems to me no issues. There's just a liquid flowing thru it. Not seeing any issues. Please enlighten me.

If the dent is on the bottom, and impacts how the sprint holding the media up against the top of the can functions, that could be an issue. Oil filters are cheap, engines are't.

Back