MB M276 Spark Plugs at 55K miles

Spark plugs have 55K miles. OE interval is 50K.

These pictures are from your opening post. The plugs don’t look spent at all, or am I wrong? The gap seems, on the photo, identical. Was it much different in person, do you remember?
IMG_1713.png

IMG_1712.png

MB SST socket
This socket is not imperative if one removes intake manifold, correct?
torquing new dealer plugs to 17 ft-lbs/23 nm
Doesn’t torque set on a wrench is different from what reaches the end socket when there are extensions and swivels? How does one account for that? (Or am I completely wrong?). Thanks!

These pictures are from your opening post. The plugs don’t look spent at all, or am I wrong? The gap seems, on the photo, identical. Was it much different in person, do you remember?

This socket is not imperative if one removes intake manifold, correct?

Doesn’t torque set on a wrench is different from what reaches the end socket when there are extensions and swivels? How does one account for that? (Or am I completely wrong?). Thanks!
Never measured the gaps, but they did not appear excessive.

There is no reason to remove the manifold for this job. Buy the SST, it makes the job a lot easier. Torque remains fairly accurate if the socket stays relatively straight.

1681441379079.jpeg

It isn't a bad idea to have one on hand, but you should not need all 6. They do not come out very easily if the engine is cold, you need to remove them when the engine is hot.

Also, make sure you add the correct grease to the boots to make future removal easier.

There is no reason to remove the manifold for this job. Buy the SST, it makes the job a lot easier. Torque remains fairly accurate if the socket stays relatively straight.

May I ask you to contemplate this: since spark plugs need to be done 50/60k mi, and Merc specked procedures requires removing intake manifold, and replacing its seals, could it be that there is a merit doing the job Merc’s way and replace those manifold seals every 50/60k mi? Or am I overthinking this? Thanks

May I ask you to contemplate this: since spark plugs need to be done 50/60k mi, and Merc specked procedures requires removing intake manifold, and replacing its seals, could it be that there is a merit doing the job Merc’s way and replace those manifold seals every 50/60k mi? Or am I overthinking this? Thanks
Service procedure was revised to no longer require removal of the manifold. I know that MB will no longer pay for intake removal when plugs are replaced under prepaid maintenance.

Just for sake of pedantism 😁. Merc’s schedule for the spark plugs is 6 years/60k miles.

View attachment 150847
Revised to 50K.

D4021240-E288-44AD-A45B-AE2E762715B3.jpeg

I just changed a set on my Aveo that I had kept in past the 30K recommended change interval. I was having an intermittent misfire under load. They looked similar to yours except a bit worse. They were brown at the base of the insulator. One of them had a little carbon tracking higher up the insulator. I was just cleaning and gapping them and was wondering what goes wrong with spark plugs. Evidently the ceramic insulation starts to break down. Runs perfectly after replacing them.

Back