Do you need to change spark plugs after carbon tracking?

A few weeks ago, I noticed my engine would "stumble" in drive when waiting at a stop light. It would do this a few times, but no check engine light came on.

Eventually, I connected my scan tool and found out cylinder 5 had 20 misfires.

I changed all sparkplugs 20K miles ago with OEM Double Platinum ones. So I figured an ignition coil is probably on its way out. My car has 120K miles on it. I bought a used coil in case I misdiagnosed it.

When I got the part, I began to replace it. When I removed the original ignition coil, I saw what appeared to be carbon tracking inside the boot. It was a thin white line along the inside of the boot.

Now in this case I would have changed the spark plug, But I didn't have a new plug or spark plug socket with me. So instead, I put a liberal amount of di-electric grease inside the new ignition coil boot, and put the new coil in.

It's been a few hundred miles and I don't have the stumble anymore.

Should I go back and change the spark plug? It's a PITA to access it. I know if the carbon residue is still on the plug, it could eventually start tracking again. But maybe with enough Di Electric grease, that won't happen. I did buy the new spark plug just in case.

If it doesn't do anything, don't worry about it. If you do change the spark plkugs, use iridium, since it's difficult in your car.

I mean, it’s not doing anything now, so I suppose just let it go till it happens again.

If it starts skipping again change the plug. Carbon tracking along the porcelain is a micro hole from arcing

Spark plugs are so inexpensive. Just change them out. May not change anything, but surely won't hurt.

You can worry about what-ifs all day long. What about the unburnt gas hitting the converter. oops. Follow the advice here or not

Back