Mazda5 2.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got rid of my honda fit for this car. (a family addition is on the way in about 8 months).

i loved the fit, but with a family of 5, it was going to get tight. the mazda is the perfect balance between sedan and minivan.

the mazda has 68000 miles and i was just wondering if you guys (and girls if there are any) have any oil recommendations or precautions for this engine.

thanks.

I've had GREAT luck with the powertrain on the vehicle in about 35k miles. Knock on wood.

I've had great results with YB, QS, Formula Shell, as well as PP.

Dino should be good for 5k in most conditions.

If it's like the one I rented, I had it wide open on the freeway for modest passing and merging. The 4 speed automatic was a bad idea. I think now they have a 5 speed auto.

Still, if you run it Wide Open as much as I had to do with my rental, consider a cheap synthetic like PP. If you are easier than me, any oil should do. The Mazda MZR is all aluminum with the exception of the liners and doesn't get very hot. It's fairly easy on oil.

Just consider syn if you keep it near redline like I did.

MC 5w20 + MC cartridge filter from "leading discount chain" (<$4). The wix filters also are great, but slightly more $.

PP 5w20 or Motorcraft 5w20 jugs from WallyWorld.

I been buying my cartridge filters from ORielly's, they have the birdcage support inside them.

Mobil 1 5W-20 worked very well in my 2.3L (06 ford fusion) during the summer months as did the motorcraft 5W-20. I did encounter increased valvetrain noise using castrol syntec of the same flavor.
As I live in extreme winter cold I have chosen and liked PP 0W-20 for the winter and YB 5W-20 for the summer. I really like the Wix/NAPA gold filter elements over the OEM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back