Mazda3 2.5 Turbo

I don't disagree about the DSG service cost adding up over time, but at $350 it wasn't unreasonable. I actually liked the fact that VW wanted the transmission serviced every 40k miles as I think it may help longevity. We generally keep cars until their bitter end, so I'm all for reasonable maintenance.

I'm not 100% convinced in the no-service interval for the Mazda transmission. By the way, the FZ fluid from Mazda is about as criminally priced as the VW DSG fluid. I plan on a drain and fill around 40k miles, at the same time that the spark plugs have to be replaced. Luckily NGK recently introduced the 2.5 turbo plug for purchase as NGK rather than Mazda dealer only, so the cost per plug is around $15 instead of $25 from the dealer.

We looked at A3 and A4 as well this last time. I like the styling and smaller size of the A3, but A4 is a much better car. I think Audi, MB, and BMW tend to cheap out a little too much on their smaller cars. Except for the M2, nothing cheap about that one.
Agreed 100% except I have challenged everyone, everywhere, to show me a failed skyactiv transmission that the mode of failure was traced to lack of fluid change. Noone yet has. Can't even find it on Google. Also, DSG is just more prone to failure, even when serviced. Nature of the beast. They are harder on the drivetrain. Harder on parts. This is the tradeoff you get for their performance. The skyactiv is a pretty amazing compromise honestly. Far more direct and telepathic than the ZF8s I've driven, even in Maserati. Not as good as dsg though, but really really good for what they are, and stoopid reliable.

The thing with some of these newer Mazdas, such as the 3 and CX-30, is that they have taken away the rawness of the previous versions quite a bit. This results in a more subdued, relaxed and somewhat less connected feeling. The initial turn-in has been reduced a bit as well. The Mazda 3 is not as tossable as before and the steering definitely has been slowed and numbed down a bit. That quickness is not there. I will say the interior and seat comfort is very good.

So now for the new Mazda 3 turbo, you have a lot of power and AWD going into the same car, the same suspension and the same steering. It'll be a nice cruising car that you can launch quickly and overtake others but it's lacking the sportiness of the previous generations. I am sorry to say that. I just got out of a CX-30 which is basically a raised Mazda 3. Compared to my gen 1 Mazda 3, this new gen 3 and CX-30 definitely feel more substantial but not necessarily always in a good way. They are more composed and refined but once again, have lost their "zoom-zoom."

The new Mazdas are really good cars though and the interior has been dramatically improved - fit, finish and materials. They have come quite a way in that regard. The exterior on the Mazdas is very unique among automakers. Very attractive. Also they handle road imperfections really well. Overall a nice package.

Last edited:
Also, the infotainment on the new Mazdas is very cumbersome and not user friendly. To change the radio station you must do multiple steps and go through multiple screens. The A/C and heating controls are OK but definitely not like the older simpler Mazda designs. Nice materials but a bit too complex in the controls. One cannot just get in and get going like some models. I think they could have chosen a simpler more user friendly design but maybe that's not the image Mazda wants to portray these days.

I have no issues with the infotainment but I know some do. I think Mazda is trying to add premium feel to their cars without the price tag. The seats in my CX-30 are the most comfortable I've ever had. I love the seats in this car.

They're using a proven, yet dated engine/transmission that works very well. One thing I do wish they would have done is allow you to redline the turbo version in manual mode. It automatically upshifts for you even in manual mode using paddle shifters.

For some people, doing something different from what you are used to is considered bad.

Changing radio stations is not that hard. I have a certain number of stations set as favorites and can cycle through them using the steering wheel controls. As for climate control, it is super easy. You set a temperature and that is that. My passenger can set their own temperature. Push buttons defrost the front and rear windows.

Mazda wants to sell to a wider audience and that is good business.

Been thinking about a smaller car. I like the Corolla but it is so underpowered. But, am also leery of turbo since I never had one and worry about reliability. Just read about the new Mazda3 turbo coming out for 2021. Never had a Mazda, so jumping to a Mazda turbo will be a major leap for me. For those familiar with Mazda’s, what do you think about the new 3 turbo? Thanks.
^^ I like you (maybe) prefer engines that dont need turbos but if its not a long term vehicle ... some smaller cars you dont have a choice but when you do, Ill chose larger displacement over turbo.

The thing with some of these newer Mazdas, such as the 3 and CX-30, is that they have taken away the rawness of the previous versions quite a bit. This results in a more subdued, relaxed and somewhat less connected feeling. The initial turn-in has been reduced a bit as well. The Mazda 3 is not as tossable as before and the steering definitely has been slowed and numbed down a bit. That quickness is not there. I will say the interior and seat comfort is very good.

So now for the new Mazda 3 turbo, you have a lot of power and AWD going into the same car, the same suspension and the same steering. It'll be a nice cruising car that you can launch quickly and overtake others but it's lacking the sportiness of the previous generations. I am sorry to say that. I just got out of a CX-30 which is basically a raised Mazda 3. Compared to my gen 1 Mazda 3, this new gen 3 and CX-30 definitely feel more substantial but not necessarily always in a good way. They are more composed and refined but once again, have lost their "zoom-zoom."

The new Mazdas are really good cars though and the interior has been dramatically improved - fit, finish and materials. They have come quite a way in that regard. The exterior on the Mazdas is very unique among automakers. Very attractive. Also they handle road imperfections really well. Overall a nice package.
Maybe....when they put the turbo in the cx5, everything got tightened up. I drove a 2018 and it was horrible. Drove my turbo (2019), and everything was better. Drove a 2021 and apparently they kept the changes thay made the turbo model better, across the line.

For some people, doing something different from what you are used to is considered bad.

Changing radio stations is not that hard. I have a certain number of stations set as favorites and can cycle through them using the steering wheel controls. As for climate control, it is super easy. You set a temperature and that is that. My passenger can set their own temperature. Push buttons defrost the front and rear windows.

Mazda wants to sell to a wider audience and that is good business.
It's not bad and it's not hard, it's just more complicated than it needs to be. I just gave one example of the radio controls. It's not the only issue with the system. Mazda's infotainment system takes more time and attention than it needs to for some simple tasks. You're right though, Mazda is going for a wider appeal with their vehicles now. Less zoom-zoom but more luxury and features.

Last edited:
Maybe....when they put the turbo in the cx5, everything got tightened up. I drove a 2018 and it was horrible. Drove my turbo (2019), and everything was better. Drove a 2021 and apparently they kept the changes thay made the turbo model better, across the line.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car. They are very nice looking vehicles across the lineup. Very unique styling inside and out.

Reactions: Ws6
It's not bad and it's not hard, it's just more complicated than it needs to be. I just gave one example of the radio controls. It's not the only issue with the system. Mazda's infotainment system takes more time and attention than it needs to for some simple tasks. You're right though, Mazda is going for a wider appeal with their vehicles now. Less zoom-zoom but more luxury and features.
I think it's trash how bad the infotainment is regarding its actual function (glitchy, laggy, etc), but regarding user interface it's fine, no issues here. I have heard that the 2021's fixed this. Supposedly.

I think it's trash how bad the infotainment is regarding its actual function (glitchy, laggy, etc), but regarding user interface it's fine, no issues here. I have heard that the 2021's fixed this. Supposedly.
I had one incident, maybe it was my own fault, where the screen on the CX-30 went blank for about a minute or two when I was simply operating the infotainment menu. It simply would not come back on no matter what I did. It was a 2021 model. But yeah, you might be right - one might just need more time getting used to the user interface.

I had one incident, maybe it was my own fault, where the screen on the CX-30 went blank for about a minute or two when I was simply operating the infotainment menu. It simply would not come back on no matter what I did. It was a 2021 model. But yeah, you might be right - one might just need more time getting used to the user interface.
Yeah, the interface is fine, IMO, although yes, it IS different. The actual function of it and glitchiness of the software disgusts me, though. I have literally never owned a NAV system this buggy, even going back to my 2010 Jeep (U-Connect is amazing, Chrysler nailed THAT at least.).

The problems of rust were pre-SkyActiv. Everything changed after that. Improvements were made.

The Northeast seems to destroy any vehicle not protected. The best solution would be to move.
Not exactly true. I have a Mazda 2010 GT and live in Canada. I have been driving daily on the salty roads during the winter for 10 years and no rust at all. BUT.... the GT is made in Japan so I can't speak for the other trims.

Not exactly true. I have a Mazda 2010 GT and live in Canada. I have been driving daily on the salty roads during the winter for 10 years and no rust at all. BUT.... the GT is made in Japan so I can't speak for the other trims.
I only buy made /manufactured/assembled in Japan, now.

I owned a turbo vehicle (Subaru Legacy) for 14 years/245000 miles. The turbo never gave me issue until the end when all the turbo oil lines and emissions started leaking oil and wife was not a fan of smell/smoke.

They seem reliable to me.

Reactions: Ws6
Nice but (a bit) fragile cars. Reliable. Will go the distance with some extra effort.

Mazda's i) have pretty darned thin sheet metal; ii) easily get rock chips; iii) have thin carpets that tend to wear; and iv) are not great against rust (poor rep. re quality of the two-sided galvanized sheet metal). If you live where there is NOT a wet, sloppy-snow winter - they can go the distance... but beware hail damage and keep away from door-denting other motorists. Oil undersprays, even twice per winter, might be a good idea.

Caveat: YMMV ☺.
I don't think Mazda's sheet metal is any thinner than any other make's, carpets don't if you use Weather Tech (or similar type) floor mats, and taking the vehicle through car washes that have undercarriage sprayers can solve, or least reduce the premature rusting problems...

Also, the infotainment on the new Mazdas is very cumbersome and not user friendly. To change the radio station you must do multiple steps and go through multiple screens. The A/C and heating controls are OK but definitely not like the older simpler Mazda designs. Nice materials but a bit too complex in the controls. One cannot just get in and get going like some models. I think they could have chosen a simpler more user friendly design but maybe that's not the image Mazda wants to portray these days.
I couldn't believe how user friendly the infotainment center is on our CX-9 compared to the one that was in our 2016 Sienna...you needed a degree in computer programming to figure that thing out...the one in the Mazda I learned on the fly...

I don't think Mazda's sheet metal is any thinner than any other make's, carpets don't if you use Weather Tech (or similar type) floor mats, and taking the vehicle through car washes that have undercarriage sprayers can solve, or least reduce the premature rusting problems...
I hope you're right. I have a '17 Mazda6. We shall see how it lasts. 'Real disappointed re the propensity of the paint to chip (dark blue - almost black - metallic paint).

You can get a 1.4T Golf for a deal. 2020 leftovers are $20k without trying, it looks like. A similar priced Mazda3 would be 2.0 NA.
With the Golf, if you need more power, get a tune; but it already has great low-end torque.

They come with plenty of standard equipment and safety items. Feels like they're built to a higher class/quality vs the competition. Easily beat EPA mpg ratings. (my GSW is rated 25/36 and my lifetime average is 38.x)
I've owned my 2016 VW Sportwagen (5spd manual) for three months short of 5 years, and 68.5k miles. Never been to the dealer. No repairs needed. DIY oil and filter changes (cabin, engine too) and that's been it. The Golf platform holds much more cargo than a 3 or Civic hatch.
Yes the boxy styling isn't pushing design, but it works, and it won't look dated in 3 years.

I always read of VW horror stories and only bought one due to the crazy dieselgate deals at the time. (mine was $18.5k + TTL) Happy owner thus far. Got my mom into a 2015 2 door Golf that was ultra low mileage used. Commutes daily 100 miles. No real issues. Friends bought a similar wagon as us. All those are 1.8T models. No issues. Another friend just got a 2019 Golf, with the great warranty (2018 and 2019 have 6 yr 72k bumper to bumper - the '19s have 1.4T).

Dunno about actual gauge, but I do know that on the Gen 1 CX5, they really scrimped on panel damping. The hood fluttered like a bird (pulled over multiple times to make sure it was latched...always was, lol!), the doors were tinny and flimsy feeling. My 2019 on the other hand, the doors close like a bank vault and the hood is steady well into the triple digits. It wasn't the gauge I don't believe, but the lack of support/damping/etc.

Back