Mazda Skyactiv GDI issues??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if there are any issues with Mazda's 2.5 Skyactiv? Do they suffer valve buildup? Any reasons to avoid this engine?

56,000 miles on my 2.5L 2014 touring and no major issues. Did have one minor electrical issue not related to driveability that was promptly taken care of by the dealer. Ed

Mazda has designed their valves to run hot. That is supposed to decrease carbon buildup on them. So far the anecdotal evidence is that it does work.

Drove a 2.5L Skyactiv HARD for 60K miles and sold it - I still know the person I sold it to and it now has 105K trouble-free miles. Oil changes every 7500 miles including the bulk stuff they use at Valvoline quick oil changes. Runs like new...

FWIW...I really like that engine and 6-speed auto combination.

Last edited:
I have had 5 Skyactive engines and auto transmissions. LUV UM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
I have had 5 Skyactive engines and auto transmissions. LUV UM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it mean a new engine every other year?

Originally Posted by JasonC
Just curious if there are any issues with Mazda's 2.5 Skyactiv? Do they suffer valve buildup? Any reasons to avoid this engine?

These are excellent engines that should be driven in Sport Mode to clear out the spider webs once in a while.

Originally Posted by Vincenze
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
I have had 6 Skyactive engines and auto transmissions. LUV UM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it mean a new engine every other year?

Heck I miscounted. It is 6. Four were Mazda 3's and two were CX-5's. None have EVER been back to the dealer except to trade again.

Mine has been great, but then again I only have 43k on it. The touchscreens can be a little problematic sometimes (and Mazda knows this so they've put a 7 year warranty on them) and the paint is thin (which seems a common issue these days) but other than that they seem to be pretty reliable.

My 2016 2.5 is creeping up on 50k and so far it's been perfect. Mine is in a 6 with a manual transmission. Having previously driven a Corolla with a 1.8 I was impressed with how peppy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back