Any Mazda 5 owners here?

I’ve been looking for a general purpose spare car. I really love both of my cars (see sig) but both have manual transmissions I can’t escape the fact my arthritis is making it hard to push the clutch some days. I could always drive the truck but for long trips or city parking those aren’t much fun and are real gas burners.

Commenters here on BITOG have made me give a serious look at the Mazda 5. It’s like a micro minivan so it’s a very versatile vehicle and I like that it’s based on the 2.5 L Skyactiv Mazda 3 platform. I’m looking at a couple of local cars, a 2014 with 120K or a 2012 with 135K. Anyone have an idea of the real world MPG of these engines with auto transmissions? If I could get reasonably close to 30 I would be happy because I‘m getting around 29 with the Scion xB. Any reason a 2012 or 2014 would be better than the other?

I was looking pretty hard at a couple of Scion xDs but it seems to me I can get a larger and more versatile car with the Mazda5 for essentially the same money. Plus, all the xDs I looked at were trashed but most of the M5s are much nicer. The plan is to buy a Mazda then sell the Scion separately once I’m reasonably confident the Mazda is a good car. Or I might just give it to a family member who is having car problems.

My Sis was looking at the Mazda line in 2012. She wanted good mpg. Who doesn't?
The 5 was said to get an honest 25. The Mazda3 was said to get 40. Sis got 41+ routinely on trips.
I'm thinking the 2 you mentioned wouldn't differ much so it's a condition/maintenance choice.

I believe 2013 was the first year for SkyActiv in the 5. You would have to verify that. As for getting close to 30mpg that might be pushing things some. I would guess mid to upper 20’s at best. Some had the 2.0 which would get you the mpg you are looking for but the power might be an issue. I’m guessing there aren’t too many of those around.

I have a 2009 Mazda 5, 5 speed MT. Outstanding car and has been very reliable. I wish they still made it today. Very versatile. The 2009 MT has the 2.3 and gets around 27mpg average. Really won't top 28 mpg, based on my recollections and typically 27 mpg all the way around.

My FIL had one. It was recalled once for an exhaust issue but otherwise it was reliable. Since he lived in Minnesnowta it developed some rust. He still had it when he passed away several years ago. Don't know where it went. Looked exactly like this one.

Mazda 5.jpg

As one of the people who suggested the 5, I didn't know you were looking for an automatic.

Since you want automatic, you might like the Ford C-Max, which is about the same size as the Mazda5 and is a hybrid that gets around 40 mpg. You could also get it as a plugin hybrid, which would give you even better fuel economy. You might not be able to get a plugin C-Max for your budget, but the regular hybrid is within reach.

That said, there is nothing wrong with an automatic 5.

I can't speak for what years had the skyactiv engine, my 2012 has the Ford 2.5L (same as the Ford Fusion of that era I believe)

It's been the most reliable car even out of families brand new vehicles, bought it with around 30k on it and now closing in on 130k. It's only ever been in a shop for tires and fluid changes

I owned a 2014 Mazda5 for 60k miles. The 2.5 was smooth but was seriously lacking in power/torque so it's a good thing it liked to rev and it did like to rev. The 5-speed auto was meh and a little clunky at times. What it really needed was a 6th gear but I understand why it didn't have one - the engine is so underpowered it would likely need to downshift the moment you touched the gas. It's been quite a few years and my memory of the specifics is fading but at 75mph the rpm was up in the high 3k range. Still smooth and happy to rev there but engine noise and road noise were pretty high at highway speeds. Sounds like I hated it, right? Nope, it was a good vehicle for around-town driving and occasional highway driving. I can't remember exactly but I want to say mpg was 25ish on the highway. Not great because the engine rpm was so high but as I said I still really liked the car.

It's a driver's car and I think the steering feel was one of the best I've driven - I always knew exactly what the wheels were doing and the steering had a great feel.

I have never seen a vehicle rust like the Mazda 5. I see them with football sized holes in them and they haven't even been around that long all things considered. aggressive rust proofing is a must. I love the concept of a micro van though.

We have an 09 M5, bought new, has been rock solid. I installed an Alpine double DIN NAV unit in it back when it was fairly new. The only downside to it is that it comes with ZR speed rated tires and since that is what it came with, no tire shops will install lower rated tires. Unnecessary expense.
They do get 30MPG, all the undercarriage aero package that helps that happen is a pain to remove when it is time to change the oil.

We have an 09 M5, bought new, has been rock solid. I installed an Alpine double DIN NAV unit in it back when it was fairly new. The only downside to it is that it comes with ZR speed rated tires and since that is what it came with, no tire shops will install lower rated tires. Unnecessary expense.
They do get 30MPG, all the undercarriage aero package that helps that happen is a pain to remove when it is time to change the oil.
Wait, what? I have a 09 and there is a offset hole to access the oil filter. You put your hand and wrist through to get to it. The annoying part is that anything that spills winds up on the top side of the tray and you have to mop it up with rags. Not sure why the hole wasn’t centered.

Wait, what? I have a 09 and there is a offset hole to access the oil filter. You put your hand and wrist through to get to it. The annoying part is that anything that spills winds up on the top side of the tray and you have to mop it up with rags. Not sure why the hole wasn’t centered.
Ours doesn't have that to access the cartridge filter, may explain our aerodynamic advantage :ROFLMAO:

Yes, the oil filter is a cartridge type. Yes, 2.3L
I looked up some YouTube videos and sure enough. They must have changed to the spin on sometime in the 2009 MY. And with the spin on they provided the access hole through the cover.

Back