Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G 2.0 AT oil

Hi Guys,

Background info:
Car: Mazda CX-5 SkyActiv-G 2.0 AT late 2018 with 19k miles

Oil used in previous Mazda CX-5 for 80.000 miles: Castrol Edge 0W-20 V

It ran totally fine. No issues ever, always original Mazda Japanese built oil filter used.

Fast forward to today, we bought a new Mazda CX-5 with currently 19.000 miles on the clock, shouldn't need a change but 12 months have passed which is why I want to give it an oil change (which is more important, months or miles, since it has done little since last chance).

Since this is a new car, but probably same engine as the 2014 model, I go check the manual:

I found out that oil is Volvo specific "VCC RBS0-2AE", ACEA C5 and my owners manual specifies API SN or ACEA A5/B5.

Question time.
I like the Castrol 0W-20 V oil, should and can I keep using it? Other 0w-20 from Castrol is hard to get in the Netherlands.
Is MOTUL 8100 ECO-LITE 0W-20 good? I don't like it because it's French, and not a whole lot can be found about it, but I can easily buy it in the Netherlands
Any other recommendations, which are deliverable in short amount of time (before my holiday in 3 weeks), and have (very) good reputation?

With kind regards,
Guy who puts Volvo oil in SkyActiv-G engine, engine purrrs fine, then finds out after 4 years it's the wrong oil.

Last edited:
The Castrol should be fine. Is this the Castrol Professional V oil? It’s quite expensive here in the states. I’d imagine it is the same over there.

Motul is a well respected brand. Another brand would be Total. Do you have that one readily available in the Netherlands?

You don’t have Shell Helix available? That would be another good choice.

Hi PimTac, thanks for the reply.

Guess what I just found, for a reasonable price (oil in the Netherlands is expensive, keep that in mind):

It even says Total on the back, can't be an accident right?
API SN • ILSAC GF-5

Isn't getting better than this, is it.

And yes, the Castrol Professional V oil I had was "CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL V 0W20".

So now I have 3 options:

$45 - Buy 3 liters of ACEA C3 oil for my CX-5 CASTROL V 0W20 Volvo oil (I still have 1.6 from other refills of the previous CX-5)
$65 - Mazda original oil (linked above)
$90 - MOTUL eco-lite 8100 (seems like snake oil price)

So maybe original is best?

Total is French as well.

@Pelican @PimTac
I already thought so but I was like, let's not put that into question, don't Google it just buy it. So just to be _super_ clear, Mazda Original Oil Supra-X is the original and recommended oil for this engine? Since it says Skyactiv-X and my engine is SkyActiv-G. Also, what is the shelf life, can I buy for 2 years in advance?

Thanks a bunch! Maybe I'll show pictures of the car / changing the oil when I get it done :)

Also on the oil being French, I just don't like French engineering (plastic oil pump in Peugeot engines that blow after 70k, and dealer just admits it's to save weight/cost and gives you a metal/heavier one) - tiny 800 cc engine on LPG.. just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
@Pelican @PimTac
I already thought so but I was like, let's not put that into question, don't Google it just buy it. So just to be _super_ clear, Mazda Original Oil Supra-X is the original and recommended oil for this engine? Since it says Skyactiv-X and my engine is SkyActiv-G. Also, what is the shelf life, can I buy for 2 years in advance?

Thanks a bunch! Maybe I'll show pictures of the car / changing the oil when I get it done :)

Also on the oil being French, I just don't like French engineering (plastic oil pump in Peugeot engines that blow after 70k, and dealer just admits it's to save weight/cost and gives you a metal/heavier one) - tiny 800 cc engine on LPG.. just not my cup of tea.

I didn’t know there was a specific oil for the Skyactiv X engine and this is it. Can you locate the regular Mazda Supra oil?

Also,, I don’t know what the difference would between the regular oil and this oil. In all likelihood it should work.

supra.jpg

supra-x.jpg

Based on the EAN code (code on the left bottom) I'd like to say they're the same.
However the SUPRA-X packaging specifically mentions SKYACTIV-X engines.
Some other pages mention in the descripton both SKYACTIV-X and SKYACTIV-G engines..

Edit
The page I found these images on:
*Die Veränderung der Verpackung durch den Produzenten.
Das Öl ist gleich, es gibt keine Veränderungen in der Spezifikation als auch in der Artikelbezeichnung, verändert wird nur das Design und die Form der Flasche.

Which basically translates to the oil is the same, there are no changes in specification. Only the design and shape of the bottle are changed.

**** I think I have to trust the French on this one.

Thanks PimTac, you are the best. I just ordered the oil and maybe will share some pictures of the oil change if that's appreciated.

@Pelican @PimTac

So one French company does something discutable design-wise...and all the French companies are bad :unsure:
Granted, I wouldn't buy Motul oil with such a overpriced price tag. I'd put most Motul oils on par with most Total oils actually.

Might be a dumb question but I looked at the packaging and it's not see through. Engine takes 4.2 liters. How do I know how much I put in, don't want too little oil, definitely not too much because you can't take it out..

Edit: Ok, I think I should put in 3 liters, then check dipstick and get it between min and max by adding oil in small steps, after that run engine for 1 minute, top it up to max.

Last edited:
Back