Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Idemitsu EcoMedalist Dexos spec in mine. Seemed a good middle ground between the expensive mega-moly oil and your standard off the shelf oil. Still a lot of moly (400 PPM or so) but cheaper and with some better characteristics in a few areas, most notably NOACK, which is good at 11 for the dexos, and very bad at 14 for the Advanced Moly. I've also given way more thought to this than is probably necessary, and you'll be fine with any full synthetic 0W20.

That said, with these cars the bigger issue is probably the filter. Run Mazda OEM if you want to be sure, but other than that Wix 57002s are specifically for the Skyactiv engine, along with a Mobil 1 filter (M1-1800A? Look it up.) The differences may not be huge, but there's a reason why companies like Wix would bother designing a new filter just for this specific engine.

Last edited:
I had a 2015 Mazda 6 from 2014 (took the plastic off at the dealer) till 2019 (145k miles). Such a nice car, loved owning it. As you can tell I did a lot of driving in it. Hit 16 states in all - the longest trip was from NJ to Wyoming on a roadtrip vacation.

Oil: I did 5k mile OCIs its entire time with me. The 5k change was with the Mazda high moly oil, same at 10k and 15k. I then switched to the Castrol 0w-20 for a few changes but did the Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 for the last 100k miles I had it. Never had an oiling issue, never had to add any between changes. The oil did tend to smell of gas so there was an issue with fuel dilution but not bad - although I never sent any in for a report.

Filters: I liked the original filters that were made in Japan but then they changed them and they were made in several countries. I also used the Wix filter a couple times until I had one that seeped oil - not a lot, only noticed when I changed the oil. So I switched to the Mobile 1 M1-108 filter and never had a problem after that.So the M1-108 filters were in use for about 100k miles.

Enjoy the car and the 2.5 is a great engine! I traded mine in for a 2019 Jetta GLI because I wanted more Zoom Zoom than the Mazda 6 ever gave me, and the GLI was a lot cheaper than a new 6 turbo. But I do miss it...

What year/model car? If an ‘18-up with cylinder deactivation, I'd be wary of straying from the recommended 20wt oil. The CD is activated by oil pressure, and not sure how jumping up to a 30wt oil could possibly affect that. If a non-CD engine then can likely disregard the above.

In our ‘19 cx5 with CD, have run Mazda syn 0w20 (not high moly version), Idemitsu Zepro 0w20 w/moly (supposed to be same as Mazda moly oil), Edge black bottle 0w20, and currently Valvoline ME 0w20. All oils have subjectively worked just fine and returned similar mpg. Only exception was the Zepro moly 0w20, which seemed to make the engine run/idle smoother than the rest. Also the Zepro appeared to yield a few tenths better mpg, but that is completely anecdotal.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Any quality oil will work just fine in this excellent designed engine.

+1

It's a 2014 Mazda6

Thanks everyone for the input - sounds like my 5K OIC and OEM filters don't really warrant any special oils, nor seems it that I will gain anything by using them....I guess I will just get whatever 0W-20 is cheapest at the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back