Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv 0W-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv 0W-20? Fed Castrol Gold bottle 0W-20 all of its 28k miles.....doesn't use any oil...but Castrol is 25-30% more expensive nowadays and I want to stock up for the next couple of years?

Experiences, Opinions?

Havoline ProDS 0W-20 6qt - $20
Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 5qt - $21 (with rebate making it $14)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 5qt - about $20

All about the same price right now with the Shell having an additional rebate....but....I want to bulk and want the best of the 3.

No need to bulk up. RGT rebate is $10/jug so find that. Havoline is an also ran, QSUD is good stuff without rebate shenanigans.

Switch to xW-30 to live long and prosper.

You can run any major brand of 0w20 oil in your Mazda. I've ran Valvoline, Castrol and Havoline Pro DS in mine

I run the Harvest King full synthetic in ours with no problems or usage. It's from Rural King and assumed to be Warren Oil 113K so far on our 2012Mazda 5.

Originally Posted by LotI
No need to bulk up. RGT rebate is $10/jug so find that. Havoline is an also ran, QSUD is good stuff without rebate shenanigans.

All comforting and appreciated responses - this has me curious - I know 5W-30 is recommended everywhere else in the world - (CAFE restrictions obviously) - but what would I gain - AND lose?

Any major brand 0w20 should be fine. I personally have decided to use Mazda Skyactiv ow20 from the dealer or Valvoline 0w20 Full synthetic with Maxlife.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Any major brand 0w20 should be fine. I personally have decided to use Mazda Skyactiv ow20 from the dealer or Valvoline 0w20 Full synthetic with Maxlife.

My dealer (that has since shut down) didn't use the Mazda 'moly' 0w-20 to begin with so I guess I'll be doing it rather than driving....I know how to change oil. It's the differences for the price I was really after - if none - great.....but I have a feeling one is better than another. Just figured I'd ask.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by LotI

All comforting and appreciated responses - this has me curious - I know 5W-30 is recommended everywhere else in the world - (CAFE restrictions obviously) - but what would I gain - AND lose?

The W rating is a non-starter unless you're seeing arctic circle like winter temps...as for the w-(X)... you'll gain a thicker oil film going up to a 30. Your engine can easily tolerate this increase in viscosity without detrimental effects, unless of course you consider the slight hit to mpg's the thicker oil might cause.

I say "slight" and "might" because in all practically you'll not notice anything. The "thicker" oil will also afford you some measure of protection against thinning.

Last edited:
The 3 oils that you mention would all work well. I would use either the QSUD or Havoline
depending on the sump size. The extra quart in the Havoline box makes it unnecessary
to purchase an extra quart in systems greater than 5 quarts. If all else is equal I would use
the QSUD.....just my opinion...

How long of an OCI were you running the Castrol Gold?

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
I say "slight" and "might" because in all practically you'll not notice anything. The "thicker" oil will also afford you some measure of protection against thinning.

+1

My choice is Idemitsu Zepro with moly 0w-20 for my 2019 Miata but nothing wrong with Castrol Edge. Why stock up? Your next car will need GL-6.

...what would I gain - AND lose (from using a 5w30)?

You'll lose fuel economy. Assuming the same level of technology in each oil, maybe as much as a few tenths of a percent. You'll not be able to detect it through the normal variation of personal use, but it'll be there.

You'll gain durability (longevity) IF YOU'RE TOWING OR HEAVILY LADEN A LOT. For commuter service, I don't know that there's a difference.

Abandoning a 0w20 may also reduce engine deposits, specifically ring deposits. While some 0w20s _may_ do as well as a 5w20 or 5w30 at resisting these deposits, the only publicly-visible data I have seen shows a lot more deposit from 0w20 than 5wxx. This means that over time you _may_ see less fuel economy degradation from a 5wxx vs a 0w20. Maybe that means that in the long run a 5w30 won't cost you extra fuel. Maybe it'll actually save you some. Maybe it won't.

Mazda 2.5L Skyactiv 0W-20? Fed Castrol Gold bottle 0W-20 all of its 28k miles.....doesn't use any oil...but Castrol is 25-30% more expensive nowadays and I want to stock up for the next couple of years?

Experiences, Opinions?

Havoline ProDS 0W-20 6qt - $20
Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20 5qt - $21 (with rebate making it $14)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 5qt - about $20

All about the same price right now with the Shell having an additional rebate....but....I want to bulk and want the best of the 3.

Is there a reason you want to stock up? I never buy more than I need for one oil change. That's up to you.

I like Shell Rotella Gas Truck and QSUD among the 3 you listed.

The Skyactiv engines are great and very durable.

2013 2.0L Skyactiv here. I'm currently using Supertech 0w20 and I'm about 5K miles in. It's still honey brown on the dipstick and hasn't burned an ounce. Car runs great. Don't worry about brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back