Maybe the problem is me. 2012 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to check out Hyundai's new Veloster. They didn't have a manual transmission but I was redirected to the Elantra.

I gotta' admit, it is a very attractive car.

The switchgear impressed me. Especially the HVAC controls which had a nice solid feel to them. It was a little button happy but isn't everything these days?

But then I drove it. First thing I noticed was how badly overassisted the steering was. It was so light that a '70s Cadillac owner would be jealous of the pinky finger effort. Like an early '80s Honda Accord. It was hard to hold a steady line through the cloverleaf because it was just so wacky light.

The brakes were nice and linear. Good feel. That's a plus

Pick up the speed a bit and it starts to show signs that it is going to understeer early and often.

I'm sure it will be competent in an emergency situation. But it is not a car that begs you to take the winding road to work. If the Corolla was the target, congratulations. You made a much better looking Corolla.

Then I thought, maybe it's me. Maybe I'm expecting too much from these cars. I'm trying to buy a car aimed at the mainstream and I want it to handle like my old Integra GS-R or Mazda6S does.
21.gif

My Kia handles like mush to say the least
laugh.gif

But it's an appliance to me.

Now, my girlfriend's Rav4 with the sport package and 18" factory wheels, that thing actually surprised me on our recent road trip back east. I threw it into a few cloverleaf ramps at speeds approaching double the posted limit and it handled them surprisingly well, without overly prevalent body lean and no squealing of the tires. I would have never guessed it.

I have driven a lot of Hyundai's & Kia's as rental cars over the past 6 years, and I have not really been enamored with any of them. Each had me wanting my usual Altima/Camry selection.

I drove an automatic Veloster in November and I was not impressed. The steering was too heavily assisted and numb, throttle response too slow, brakes waaay too touchy, and the car was just slow. I know my Mazda3 is slow, but that thing felt like a snail. The best part was stumbling out and back into my Mazda3.

It's not you. I noticed the new Elantra's driving dynamics stank too when car-shopping over the summer. The Limited model I rode in had tons of body roll, a floaty yet harsh suspension, and couldn't maneuver out of its own way on a city street. At least the float somewhat killed the impacts of the potholes I hit while attempting futilely to dance around them. I was glad to escape to my old Buick LeSabre since it rode/handled better. Based on what I've read lately, it even got the same highway fuel economy!

Even with a 200 lb weight penalty, my Cruze Eco was a much better driving car on the test drive. It willingly made small course corrections, had only moderate body roll, and the suspension was taut yet smooth over similar roads. I commute daily over twisty roads, and it handles them nicely when pushed. And, unlike the new Elantra, it actually meets its EPA highway fuel economy.

I bought a 2012 Elantra stick, price and mpg were my main parameters. Paid $16,845 back in July and I'm averaging 45 mpg, 48 in the warm months and about 43 now. I liked the options that came standard, though I would like a few more.
My main concern when I got it was the electric steering, it just was weird. Now it is the feature I like most about the car. I go over a few large winding hills on my commute and I originally kept it pretty slow. Now I don't even think about it. I'm not sure what changed. I have the tires pumped up now and I would think that would make the handling less stable but no it sticks to the winding road. I like the steering. I've always been a fan of the civics but for the price I tried the Elantra and so far I'm glad I did.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
I'm averaging 45 mpg, 48 in the warm months and about 43 now.

Are those averages based over a full tank of gasoline?

Based on ~150 2011-12 owners over at fuelly, the avg mpg for the new Elantra is more like 30mpg.

Joel

Last edited:
Quote:

Based on ~150 2011-12 owners over at fuelly, the avg mpg for the new Elantra is more like 30mpg.

Joel

That is based on about 17,000 miles of fillups. I do have the manual tranny and drive the speed limit and don't always feel the need to accelerate. You can see my fuel log at cleanmpg.com

AHA! The rarer than a hen's tooth MT 2012 Elantra has surfaced! How'd Hyundai be persuaded to release one, except to Wayne Gerdes? I couldn't find one anywhere when looking this summer. No Hyundai dealer had one in stock for a few hours around me.

More fodder for this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2472913#Post2472913

Hmm, the AT Elantras are having problems meeting EPA, but the MT one is whipping EPA mileage all silly. Chalk up another win for MT!

a friend of mine wants an Elantra as her 1st 'new' car and asked me to help because I'm the 'car guy'. I tried to steer her towards a new Mazda3 w/ the skyactiv engine, but she's only 22, she likes the look of the elantra better. whatever.
she wanted a black on black one, but all the dealers stock gray or beige interiors (Mazda, OTOH, has black on black 3's everywhere)
I think the elantra will be good for a young girl that doesn't know anything about driving dynamics, nor care about knowing either.
I DO like the looks of it too (her, AND the car...)

If she can drive a stick, order her one. The AT's have trouble meeting EPA ratings. She might be a bit disappointed when her "40 mpg" car only gets 34-35 mpg on long trips.

Quote:

Joel

That is based on about 17,000 miles of fillups. I do have the manual tranny and drive the speed limit and don't always feel the need to accelerate. You can see my fuel log at cleanmpg.com

Great driver.

Proving it's the driver that controls the mpg.

Last edited:

That's extraordinary fuel economy to say the least. If that's the case, Hyundai is silly not to use that make/model as a marketing tool. They'd sell them like hotcakes at sticker price or beyond.

FWIW, I gave up trying to find anything on the cleanmpg.com Whadda cumbersome site!?!

Joel

Last edited:
I rent Hyundai and Kia cars regularly. Most of the time, they fall short in the "driving dynamics" arena. Especially when you come out of a Honda Fit and into one of these. It's hard to put a finger on the differences, and I'm sure much of this could be tuned out with better shocks, sway bars, tires and rims, and so on. However, it should not be necessary.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If she can drive a stick, order her one. The AT's have trouble meeting EPA ratings. She might be a bit disappointed when her "40 mpg" car only gets 34-35 mpg on long trips.

she'd never notice the mileage. I've asked her what kind of mileage she gets in her clapped out mid '90's camry and she's all like 'whaaaa???'
she can't/doesn't want to drive stick. besides, I'm married.

I bought a 2012 Elantra stick, price and mpg were my main parameters. Paid $16,845 back in July and I'm averaging 45 mpg, 48 in the warm months and about 43 now. .

The car is rated 29/40 and you are getting up to 48?? You must be 100% highway miles below the speed limit. I know the EPA figures can be beat - but averaging 45-48?? I just cannot buy that if in town driving and other real world scenarios are in that figure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I bought a 2012 Elantra stick, price and mpg were my main parameters. Paid $16,845 back in July and I'm averaging 45 mpg, 48 in the warm months and about 43 now. .

The car is rated 29/40 and you are getting up to 48?? You must be 100% highway miles below the speed limit. I know the EPA figures can be beat - but averaging 45-48?? I just cannot buy that if in town driving and other real world scenarios are in that figure.

I've seen 49 mpg tanks in my Cruze and 50+ mpg trips that included stopping/starting about 2-3 times back when the weather was warmer. EPA 42 mpg highway. I can see a consistent 48 mpg in a lighter, non-turbo, MT Elantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back