Maybe getting carried away?

Messages
392
Location
Toronto, Canada
OK, I have a 1989 Acura Legend. About 300,000 kms now. I am currently cleaning it with Auto-RX and the engine is now smoother, quieter and a little more torquey on inclines. Right now it does not really consume any oil to speak of runs and idles perfectly. I was thinking of running synthetic (GC) afterwards. With Dino in it, it is running well now. What I want is about another 5 years out of the car. So I got thinking, why bother with Syn? Dino is doing a good job now and it will probably run better after the rinse. With regular oil changes I should be able to make the 5 years again since I'm not burning anything now and am not hard on the engine. So why bother running GC or any other syn since I'm only looking for 5 more.
 
Messages
33,976
Location
Southern NJ
Your right, you won't have to and if you've got 300k out of it with dino it just proves the point that we all are wasting our time, money and energy on nit picking UOA's. Stick with what works. The benefit of synthetics that I like is that they keep the engine cleaner. But with Auto Rx you'll be fine. Run a good dino like Pennzoil or Chevron and you'll be good to go. [Wink] If an engine is meant to last, it will, regardless of the oil. [ December 20, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: buster ]
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
I would still stick with synthetics if I were you, especially since our winters here can get cold sometimes. Just pick a good synthetic, change it every 10,000km and you've got a better chance of getting five more years out of your engine than you would with dino up here. And then you'd do half the amount of oil changes too and your engine will be cleaner and get better MPG most likely.
 
Messages
1,533
Location
Ephraim
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: I would still stick with synthetics if I were you, especially since our winters here can get cold sometimes. Just pick a good synthetic, -*-*-*
Tell me everyone, just what is exactly wrong with Dino in cold climates? If you are concerned about those few months, just make sure you have coated the internals with MOLY prior to the cold, that will help a lot.
 
Messages
577
Location
Quebec Canada
Why would you have to crawl under before April ?? and even if you really have to crawl under, - 20 doesn't happen often here in TO !!!I"m in Barrie, and that never stop me to crawl under, its always good to take a look under the car. Carried away ...hum I think so [LOL!] Dino works for 14 years and 300000 km [Happy] . Why changing ??????????? [Confused] [ December 21, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Baveux ]
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: I would still stick with synthetics if I were you, especially since our winters here can get cold sometimes. Just pick a good synthetic, -*-*-*
Tell me everyone, just what is exactly wrong with Dino in cold climates? If you are concerned about those few months, just make sure you have coated the internals with MOLY prior to the cold, that will help a lot.

One problem with dino in cold weather is that as soon as you put the oil in your engine, it's cold cranking performance begins to suffer at a much faster rate than synthetics. So even if you are impressed with the cold cranking numbers on your dino oil when new, you can bet that after 1-2k it's significantly different. Synthetics won't have this problem.
 

cangreylegend

Thread starter
Messages
392
Location
Toronto, Canada
Patman is correct and explains why after 1200 miles into my cleaning with GTX 5w-30, I am noticing that -5, -10 starts are no longer like it was when the oil was new on cold starts. Good point.
 

cangreylegend

Thread starter
Messages
392
Location
Toronto, Canada
One of the main reasons I was thinking synthetics is that with GC I can do an oil change in November and not have to do another one till April-May when it warms up. With Dino, I'd have (hate) to crawl under when it's -20. Patman, you know the drill.
 
Messages
1,533
Location
Ephraim
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: ------So even if you are impressed with the cold cranking numbers on your dino oil when new, you can bet that after 1-2k it's significantly different. Synthetics won't have this problem.
Well maybe most dinos but I doubt mine would... In fact I'm sure it won't, however it that the only concern?
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: ------So even if you are impressed with the cold cranking numbers on your dino oil when new, you can bet that after 1-2k it's significantly different. Synthetics won't have this problem.
Well maybe most dinos but I doubt mine would... In fact I'm sure it won't, however it that the only concern?

Another concern is that if you use dino oil in Canada, you will most likely end up needing a mid winter oil change, and nobody wants to change the oil when it's snowing outside. So you need an oil which will go well beyond 3000 miles in winter conditions, and dino oil simply isn't as good at coping with these types of conditions as a synthetic will. If you run the synthetic oil, you can change it before winter starts and it will last well into the spring. Dino oil, you could run into trouble trying to extend it this long. So while we are seeing some real awesome UOAs on here with dino oil in moderate climates, I doubt you'd see them do so well when faced with a few months of 32F temps and colder.
 
Messages
1,533
Location
Ephraim
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: *-*-*-*-*So while we are seeing some real awesome UOAs on here with dino oil in moderate climates, I doubt you'd see them do so well when faced with a few months of 32F temps and colder.
Well there are some that will. They are out there.
 

Patman

Staff member
Messages
21,989
Location
Oakville, Ontario
quote:
Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:
quote:
Originally posted by Patman: *-*-*-*-*So while we are seeing some real awesome UOAs on here with dino oil in moderate climates, I doubt you'd see them do so well when faced with a few months of 32F temps and colder.
Well there are some that will. They are out there.

I guess that remains to be seen. We'll have to wait until this winter is over and see how the people in the northern states fared.
 
Top