Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sir / Madam,

Hello every one. I am Dennis.
Long time reader. New poster.

I just ordered a new car and waiting for delivery:
Mazda Roadster NR-A Skyactiv-G 1.5
NR-A is a road legal motorsport car.
Very excited and want to keep the car for as long as possible.
nr-a_gallery_img.ts.1604250457274330.jpg

Car should be (non air conditioned) garage kept, but would see passionate driving in 3-40*C / 37.4-104F surface temperature.
Expected mileage is around 1000km per year.

From factory manual, seems 0W-20, 5W-30, 5W-20 can be used; but Genuine Motor Oil ECO SN 0W-20 is recommended for fuel saving.

Oil I have in hand:
1. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil Made in Germany
2. Redline 0W40 Motor Oil Made in USA

What brand and model of engine oil would you recommend to put in a car like this?
I plan to use 30 weight oil for hot weather driving?
Can I mix 20 and 40 to get 30 weight?
If I need to buy a new oil, I wish my other cars, such as Subaru domestic can use the oil also:

1. Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, e.g. SN 0W-20
2. Honda Genuine Motor Oil, e.g. SN 0W-20
3. Eneos Sustina Premium Motor Oil, e.g. 0W-20
4. Gulf e.g. GT20 0W-20
5. Castrol EDGE, e.g. 0W-20 SN/GF-5
6. Mobil, e.g. 0W-20 SN/GF-5
7. Redline Motor Oil, e.g. 0W20

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I can't read Japanese, but I get the impression that this car does NOT specifically require a synthetic engine oil. Seems like it could run just fine on a conventional 5W-30, or even a conventional 5W-20 meeting outdated API/ILSAC specs. Is that correct? If not, please correct me.

Either way (but especially if I'm right on the above), a good synthetic API SN/ILSAC GF-5 0W-20 should be a good option. Being synthetic, it will retain viscosity fairly well at high temperatures. I don't necessarily see a need for anything thicker. I certainly wouldn't go all the way up to an xW-40 or mix different oils just to get a certain viscosity.

Is Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 available? If so, that might be your best option.

Does this car have gauges for oil temperature and/or oil pressure?

If you're driving it hard and getting it hot you want redline.

If you putter about slowly and only want the car for its looks use xw20.

I believe the OP is in Bangladesh.

I think a synthetic 5w30 would be suitable since he is tracking this car.

Very nice Roadster and congratulations.

Hi,

Yea thank you all for the warm welcome.

d00df00d you are right.
Car seem to run fine using mineral oil.
In fact I believe most cars before 2017 are given mineral oil.
e.g. the pre-2017 blue Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 is stated as mineral oil.
It was until 2017 when they released the new red 0W-20 which is based on synthetic base oil for better fuel economy.

91p9oIwEYgL._SL1500_.jpg

81Cl39v8KTL._SL1500_.jpg

And yes I prefer to use fully synthetic.
From the above replies seems the general suggestion is that if I am easy on the car, 0W-20 should do fine.
If I am pushing it, anything up to 5W-30 is also acceptable according to manual.
We do not have Mobil Extended Performance.
Guess I would take a look with the new Toyota Motor Oil.

Thanks again everyone for reading and sharing.

Last edited:
This car has the SkyActiv 1.5 GDI engine. Mazda engines seem to handle fuel dilution better than most DI engines but I would still recommend regular oil changes every 5k miles or equivalent km. For you a once yearly change since you mentioned you will drive about 1000 km per year.

Hopefully you have a reliable supplier. I will guess that counterfeit oil is prevalent there? Do you have Petronas available? That might be another brand to add to the list. Also the Chevron brand which may be Caltex there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back