Maxlife dex/merc, mercon LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF
http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Anyone using this in their 5r110w (2010 F250, 5.4L) that calls for Mercon LV? LV is printed right on the label but the PDF says it is not an OEM licensed product.

How about in their power steering that calls for Mercon V?

Always been kinda Leary of "universal" type fluids, but this ATF seems to get pretty good reviews. Being available at WM would be nice.

I don't think that Valvoline would fix my truck should their fluid cause it to break, but at the same time have a tough time believing Valvoline would stake their reputation on a fluid that damages something they specifically recommend it be used in (LV).

Any direct recommendation of Valvoline for an application will be covered by their warranty; you needn't worry there.

If they spec the Maxlife for the LV application, then I'd say it's OK to use.

In my opinion you are right to be wary of "universal" fluids and many others share that opinion. There have been a number of published articles supporting the view that "universal" products are not realistic and only OEM approved products should be given the time of day.

I use it in my 2011 Taurus' 6F50 trans that calls for Mercon LV. I've done three drain and fills of one gallon at a time over the last year or so.

My car only has 45k on it but all is well with the Maxlife. We climb lots of steep grades and many are from a complete stop. The trans shifts the same now as with the factory fill. Ultra smooth on level ground, yet firm, confident shifts up steep inclines.

I have stuck with WM SuperTech Mercon V in the power steering (so far).

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
In my opinion you are right to be wary of "universal" fluids and many others share that opinion. There have been a number of published articles supporting the view that "universal" products are not realistic and only OEM approved products should be given the time of day.

And most of those articles were written by authors associated with OEM's that have a vested interest in selling royalty-return licensed fluids.

Peak and Castrol(part no. 06519) have ATF licensed for Mercon LV applications. Many people also used Redline D6 with good results.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

And most of those articles were written by authors associated with OEM's that have a vested interest in selling royalty-return licensed fluids.

You can in some cases look at it from that point of view but often one only has to read the claims and compare specifications in order to see that the combinations are impossible to meet with one fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back