Valvoline dex merc blue bottle vs maxlife valvoline

Hey does anyone here use the good Ole valvoline dex merc blue bottle for your trans? A couple years ago it was 16 bucks a jug and was called "valvoline dex merc iii" but now it is just called "dex/merc". Can someone confirm for me it's the same product? I've been doing drain and fills on my 01 tundra v8 (calls for dex 3 fluid) with it the past 4 years and want to make sure it's the same exact product. Also, what's the difference between the blue dex merc and the red valvoline max life atf fluid? Thanks

Valvoline Dex/Merc is a Dexron III formula. Dexron III is no longer licensed and Dexron VI took its place.

Dexron VI is backwards compatible which is what I run in my Toyota A541E transmission that calls for Dexron III. I personally used O'reilly's Dexron VI.

Maxlife is a multi-vehicle fluid and is not even officially licensed for Dexron VI.

I would continue with the Dex/Merc vs the maxlife in that transmission. Maxlife is slightly thinner and slightly different additive package. I am not suggesting DexVI or MaxLife would cause damage.

In both that transmission (late 98 LC) and the Aisin U151E of that period, I’ve tried the stock fluids and the latter, thinner fluid like MaxLife. I have noticed slightly better shifting in each with the stock fluid.

Used it for a couple hundred thousand miles in our 04 Taurus. No problems. Car lives on Schaeffer 204 now with 405,000 miles.

I run the Dex/merc in my old Mercedes diesels, with lubeguard red.

I love that stuff. It is in all our transmissions and PS systems. I use the blue in engines and yellow in gear cases, too.

It completely stopped a high pressure PS line leak in a Lexus we have; notorious problem on that car (the transverse mz-fe engine that runs really hot in the back).

I use Valvoline, Harvest King, and store brand Dex/Merc in all my vehicles that don't require Dex VI. Only the Trax gets that. Hondas get Honda fluid but that is the exception. It's not that complicated.

I've used the Dex/Merc in a few vehicles, namely my old Cherokee XJ with the AW4, but later switched to the MaxLife which has worked great.

Hey does anyone here use the good Ole valvoline dex merc blue bottle for your trans? A couple years ago it was 16 bucks a jug and was called "valvoline dex merc iii" but now it is just called "dex/merc". Can someone confirm for me it's the same product? I've been doing drain and fills on my 01 tundra v8 (calls for dex 3 fluid) with it the past 4 years and want to make sure it's the same exact product. Also, what's the difference between the blue dex merc and the red valvoline max life atf fluid? Thanks
There is no way to know that since as Furious points out, DEXRON-III is no longer licensable and has been superseded by DEXRON-VI. DEXRON-VI is the suitable fluid for your Tundra.

Having said that however, the Maxlife product is fine too. I use it for every vehicle I have and service including the Tiguan.

While I personally do not recommend anyone use Maxlife when a licensed fluid is available, in this case Dexron VI is the licensed fluid, Maxlife seems to do fine in Toyota transmissions that call for Dexron III, however I have seen issues in Toyota WS transmissions with Maxlife.

So for this transmission I would stick to running Dex/Merc or go to Dexron VI and nothing else.

Back