maxlife ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Maxlife is around 11-12 dollars a quart here at wall of china

5L jug is 17.97, the one qt bottle is the stop leak fluid, not ATF
crushedcar.gif

Yikes! I paid almost exactly $4/quart (US) at Checker Auto.
It's probably a bit cheaper at Farm and Fleet or Walmart, but F&F is on the other side of town and I won't shop at Walmart.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "one qt bottle is the stop leak fluid, not ATF" - it's pretty clearly ATF - there is ANOTHER red, 1 qt. bottle that is stop leak.

I suppose I could post a link to the valvoline website or take a picture of the bottle but it's not really worth.

Walmart isn't much cheaper. I picked up a couple of quarts and it was $3.89 each. I've seen that stop leak bottle it is pretty darn close to the ATF package. Good thing they put them in seperate racks and fairly far apart.

Would Maxlife be a good choice for 2000 Infiniti G20 96K? Or would something else suit better? Also what would be the best grade? No problems at this time.

It calls for Nissan Matic 'D'. But states that i can use Dexron III/Mercon. Will the newer versions offer any advantage?

if you can run dex or merc go with maxlife dex\merc. its a syn blend and for a little less than 4$ a qt its a great deal.. lots o additives too

Quote:

if you can run dex or merc go with maxlife dex\merc. its a syn blend and for a little less than 4$ a qt its a great deal.. lots o additives too

+1

Nissan Matic D isn't much different from Dexron. A better than it has to be Dexron will serve the AT nicely, and I have worked with a few Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager vans that prove it.

I have an 02 celica and had Maxlife tranny service done at 40k at Valvoline. Now I have 66K and the tranny is making a funny skweel when I start from a dead stop. I am definatly going back to the toyota fluid. The Tranny hasn't been right ever since. I even watched to make sure the "tech" used maxlife at valvoline and he seemed to do it right. As far as I am concerned there wasn't a problem before.

Went to the Dealership this morning. Had them do a full flush with T-IV and they inspected the tranny. I explained the situation to the mechanic and he test drove my celica. He said there was no damage as he could tell and that I should keep an eye on it. I drove home and let me tell you there was a HUGE difference. I can't even feel it shift. With the Maxlife, the tranny felt sluggish and you really felt each gear pop in and out. With the T-IV ATF it drives like new. I am here to say that whatever claims the back of the Maxlife bottle make or the Valvoline dealer make, or 1-800-TEAM-VAL MAKE it is NOT the same and I will NEVER EVER trust that product in my car again. For 30K miles I thought my car had an engine problem or my muffler had a leak it was so loud, I kept having shops tell me there was nothing wrong. Today, after having T-IV AFT flushed the car drives like new and the noise problem is GONE!! AMAZING how that works. All that headache and hassle to save a few bucks. Mt tranny service cost 114.00 at the dealer and the recomended interval is 30K. miles. That is about once a year. I am going to just set aside $20. at each oil change for the service so annually I will have the funds to get it done. DON'T trust Valvoline MAXLIFE in a celica!! Rough sounding ride, rough shifting .......can't be good.

wow thats the first complaint i have heard about the maxlife atf.. did you make sure you put the right maxlife in?? did you use the DEX\MERC Maxlife ATF?? do you remember? thanks for your input too.. i have been doing drain and fills with this stuff for over 50kmiles (my truck uses dexIII) without any issues.

btw did you make sure it was full?? alot of times techs wont fill it enough or they will over fill it.. did you drive it a good 15-20 mins to get the tranny hot and park it on a level spot, while the motor is running check the dipstick?? also you have to keep checking atleast every so often to make sure you maintain the correct level.. if you didnt or you checked it when it was cold or sitting then you have an inaccurate reading which COULD be why you had issues.. bc i have had no issues at all and i drive ALOT but i also drain and fill every 15k miles

at 44K I went to Valvoline Quicklube by my work. It is an actual corporate store. I had been driving approx 20 miles. They flushed and filled with the Tranny machine. It took 24 Qts and they used the coolant lines to flush the system. I watched them put Maxlife in the machine and checked the level when they were finished. All levels were correct. I had a jeep whose tranny was blown by the wrong fluid and was extra careful. I can only tell what I know, and that is that in my Celica, Maxlife did not agree. I have been driving almost all day and there is a huge difference. The shift feel, smoothness, quietness. I asked the Toyota service tech about it and he said that he has been working on toyota's for 22 years and he only sees tranny problems when the customer uses something other than the toyota fluid. You can say this is OEM ---- all you want but I personally will never go back. I am sure for some applications maxlife like they say, "is suitable" however the celica was too high of a tollerance of an application.

Josalbrec, you seem to have a fiasco that wasn't Maxlife's fault.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB16&Number=518791

I flushed a few t-iv toyotas with Maxlife with no issues. Same quality shift as T-IV.

Also, anytime anyone changes ATF brands or types, one should disconnect the battery for a reasonable time to allow the transmissions fuzzy logic to relearn with the new fluid and the current driver.

And, to keep the thread to the point, Maxlife would work well in the 4l60e, and any Nissan/Infiniti requiring D-matic.

I did have quite a fiasco!! Valvoline did in good faith flush the tranny several times to correct their mistake and mine with maxlife, however, it was still maxlife. Maxlife is a universal fluid and designed to fill the needs of a multitude of vehicles with one application in an effort to reduce the number of products they need to produce. This is conveniently cost effective, unfortunatly, there are too many tranny's out there from a lot of vehicle manufactures that are different. Apparantly this maxlife atf thing is a really big topic http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-244.html

I will say that the bottom line is that my celica runs alot better with the T-IV fluid than with the Maxlife. Everyone has to drive their own, however, for me I won't go back. I wouldn't use cheap motor oil, ......so why would I cut corners on ATF!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back